Anybody a teacher?

Options
Hi! I'm a teacher who can't resist those birthday-kid cupcakes. And the staff room is full of treats. Anyone else out there trying to fight the staff room goodies? I'm looking to "friend" some people who might support me in this battle, and would be happy to throw some support back your way. I could really use the inspiration!!

Glad to be a part of this program - I'm feeling optimistic about meeting my weight loss goal, how about you?

Replies

• lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I am! I teach K-6 Music at two different schools. My student load is 1300 students. Because I'm not in the regular classroom I don't get birthday food, so I guess I'm lucky that way.

This is a great site, and I will certainly do what I can to give you a boost when you need it! Welcome to MFP!
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have become anti social...and I stay out of the staff room......If I go in there...I bring my water bottle so I sip instead of eat. Thank fully our chef makes great salads at lunch!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I am. Maybe this trick will help: I imagine that they have been handled/made by the nose pickers in my room. Don't desire them anymore. At least not enough to eat one that could be full of germs, etc.

The teacher's lounge is another story. So much junk food in there . . .and it looks soooooooooo good.
  • Nevrmorluv
    Options
    Hi! I'm a college instructor and every student I have works in the food industry! They are either bringing coupons or giving me extra food when I go out. I know they think they're helping and I hate to hurt their feelings, but I have to start saying no! I'm looking for a support system myself, so I would be glad to join yours. I can't say I'm optimistic, but I am committed!!
  • mlpautzke
    mlpautzke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not a teacher but going for it!
  • DeborahR
    Options
    I feel your pain girl!!!! I am a stress eater and the temptations seem to be everywhere! Our principa lkeeps a basket of Dove chocolates on her desk and in the lounge and keeps them FULL!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a second grade teacher. I understand the temptations of birthday treats and the dreaded lounge :laugh:

I'd be happy to lend some support. Welcome!
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher too!! I hate having parties lol!! I teach 3rd grade so it seems like there is always something going on where we eat!! :sad:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Teacher here... I try to stay clear of the break room. I always pack my lunch and throw an extra apple in bag to munch on the way home. That way I am not starving when I get home. If someone shares treats with me, I share it with someone else! Hang in there! Here is to a new you!:drinker:
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I'm in my last year of school as an education major. I've been doing placements and I know what you're talking about! Kids bring in goodies and teachers are constantly bringing in brownies, donuts, cookies, and pastries. It's definitely a battle that I have lost more than I care to admit. :(
  • javamom
    Options
    Also, I donate the bazillion boxes of chocolates I get around the holidays. I openly regift them - mail them to family members far away, drop them off at senior centers, give them as hostess gifts at all those parties. :love:
  • javamom
    Options
    Donate them to food pantries . . .
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I work in early intervention..I try NOT to eat anything families give me. I don't do it to be rude, but many times its not a healthy option for me.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a school nurse and yes- I battle that too! I try to keep a few healthy snacks on hand to choose over the high fat stuff. Christmas week was a killer- hoping it will settle down a bit now that the holiday is over. Friend me if you'd like some support though!
  • m2tmt08
    Options
    hi my name is Leslie and i home-school my 3 kids. luckily we don't buy snacks. but the parties are tough. i just signed up at the ymca this morning and going to start aquaerobics tomorrow.
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    I am a retired teacher and well remember the goodies in the lounge, teacher birthday treats, potlucks, and Teacher Appreciation Day with tons of really delicious food. Fortunately, the students' treats didn't tempt me. I used to think of the fact that often they helped their moms make the treat, and so often they don't wash their hands. No problem there!

But the lounge? That was another story. I wasn't watching calories then so I'm afraid I don't have any tips. However, I think if I were doing it again while counting calories I would have to simply stay out of there. Oh, it would be hard, and I always enjoyed the social time, but the food? Couldn't do it. I taught with one gal who always, always brought her lunch. She usually ate a healthy sandwich on wheat or rye bread, or brought soup or leftovers that she heated in the microwave, and a piece of fruit. She was slender as could be.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Wow, good to meet you all. Thanks for the tips - I will be regifting some of those holiday treats! And I do really need to remember to drink more water - I can go all day without it.

The comments about nose-pickers and kid germs made me giggle. But, good point! :laugh:

You guys are great. Hoping this will work for me. Good luck to us all!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    I so agree about the homemade treats, and luckily I can't stand the storebought cupcake with frosting 3 feet high! I also try to the avoid teacher's lounge. No sense adding temptation when it doesn't have to be there. I am fortunate enough to work close to my home, so most days I go home, let the dog out and eat a quick salad.
  • Jana114
    Options
    Hello! I'm a teacher too (special ed teacher), and I totally relate! There is so much good food all over (especially during the holidays), and I get so hungry by the time the kids are ready to leave. Now that I'm keeping tracking of my eating habits on this site, I've been doing a better job of not indulging in the snacks.

:-)
  • addie807
    Options
    I am going to school to be a teacher. Working on my AS Degree for ECE. The degree will allow me to teach preschool or in daycare settings. My plan is to get that degree, work as a preschool teacher and then go to the university to get my credential so i can work in an elementary setting.

Talk about working in the food industry. I work at McDonald's!!! It is hard to resist eating the food there. I need to bring my own lunch and just say NO NO NO!!