Carbs And Protein: All Confused....

Options
2»

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    So after reading all this and piecing a few things together, other than being a little low on carbs (especially after a workout) I'm doing pretty close to what everyone here is saying. Looks like I just need to re-train my brain about carbs and keep at it. I think I was hoping this was some of the reason I'm stalled out. Sounds like it's just me.

Ok...I'll keep on truckin'.

Katie
  • utamore
    utamore Posts: 53
    Options
    There are a couple problems with this;

1. Not all exercise depletes glycogen. Resistance exercise does NOT deplete glycogen nearly enough to "require" carbs post workout. Like I said earlier, you can't generalize these things. I take in carbs post workout because I'm currently doing circuit training as my promary form of training, which depletes glycogen because of the high rep and quick tempo that requires every muscle.

2. Replenishing glycogen has nothing at all to do with fat burning, and in fact will potentially hinder fat loss, because it is once glycogen is depleted that the body starts converting stored fat into fuel for the body. By giving your body carbs, you're actually KEEPING it from using stored fat. (Edit- That being said, you also shouldn't starve yourself post workout to force your body to use fat. There should be a balance between the two, with the weekly deficit being the main catalyst for fat loss, and NOT your choice of workout and post workout nutrition.)

I won't quabble with you on your first point except to say that some resistance training can deplete glycogen enough that it is beneficial to take in carbs afteward. I'll leave that at that.

As for your second point, I think that's just wrong. Depleted glycogen causes the body to synthesize glucose from amino acids, consuming your muscles instead of your fat. This is why carb cycling works--you have a high carb day to replenish your glycogen levels and then follow it up with a few low carb days during which your body can burn a higher percentage of fat, and then restock with another high carb day. In that cycle of things, when would be the best time to do resistance training? If you want to be building muscle and burning fat, the answer is the high carb day, when your body has the resources to build muscle instead of undercutting those gains by snagging your amino acids because you've been rolling Atkins.