Thinking of eating in front of.....

Options
A FULL LENGTH MIRROR!

I've been having trouble getting STARTED. I know what I have to do, I've researched it to death! But, when I sit to eat, I'm not fully aware of the consequences of my actions in the moment.

I was sitting on my bed, looking at all of my rolls staring back at me, and realized maybe this would remind me of what my over eating and junk fests do to me.

I'm 5' 4" 205lbs. I'm miserable, but that misery is just leading to more binge eating. Eating on the sneak. Can't sneak it if I'm looking right at me. Ha!

Of course I'm (half) joking about this, but it really did seem like a good idea at the moment.

Replies

• MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm all for eating without distractions -- maybe prepare yourself a favorite meal, eat it on good dishes, use a cloth napkin, and really focus on the flavors, textures, and sensations of the meal. Be gentle with yourself.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you're not fully aware, consider pre-logging your food before you sit down to eat. Then you know where you stand in terms of your calories, etc. for the day. Think of logging your food like writing a cheque. You wouldn't think of writing a cheque if you didn't know what was in your bank account.

Only you can take the first step. Once you take that step, leave the misery behind and look forward.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Why can't you get started? What are you afraid of? Here's what I did to get started:

1) Week 1. Write down everything you eat. Log it here on MFP. Just get used to getting good at that.
    2) Week 2. After you see what you've written down, what jumps out at you as something you could improve upon? Tackle that item this week. For example, if you find yourself having chocolate candy every day, try dropping down to every other day. Or, try reducing the serving size (instead of a pack of Reese's have 1/2, then freeze the other one!).
    3) Week 3. More of the same as week 2. If you're not a veggie eater, try a new veggie this week or try incorporating 1 cup of veggies at each meal.
    ...and So on....

By focusing on the little steps, the entire journey doesn't look so bad.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I was sitting on my bed, looking at all of my rolls staring back at me, and realized maybe this would remind me of what my over eating and junk fests do to me.

I'm 5' 4" 205lbs. I'm miserable, but that misery is just leading to more binge eating. Eating on the sneak. Can't sneak it if I'm looking right at me. Ha!

Of course I'm (half) joking about this, but it really did seem like a good idea at the moment.

I don't think shaming yourself about who you are is the right first step. To be successful you will need to have self respect, self love and dignity. I think your idea of mindfulness while eating IS great, however this journey will be alot easier on you if it's one because you love yourself and want good things for you rather than one of self punishment for previous actions and where you are now :flowerforyou:
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for some really good advice. Some of these suggestions are new ideas to me.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You can do this :) I've been at this since August 28, 2008. So, I have learned some truths along the way. Here's what I learned:

1) Sitting on your butt won't make it smaller. No matter how you choose to move, just get up and do it.

2) Face it, vegetables are involved. If you don't like veggies, you don't have to go vegetarian, but adding vegetables to meals any way you can will make a difference.

3) If you're an American, we're nutritionally confused. Do some homework. Learn about nutrition. Some books that got me started: The Best Life Diet by Bob Greene (learning to incorporate veggies!), Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno (basic nutrition), Choose More Lose More For Life by Chris Powell (Types of foods Carb, Protein, Fats).

As far as learning how to exercise goes, start by walking. 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and so on. Then look for other opportunities to advance. I went from walking to Couch to 5K. I also use Beachbody's DVD sets because running isn't an all year thing where I live. (No I'm not a coach, I just think they're good at what they do)

Another thing is that being healthy takes a little bit more time. This might mean that you need to learn how to cook a few things. At least at first, many people groan about how much more time it takes, I know I did! Keep working on your organizational skills and cooking techniques and don't give up on that. Its not impossible to eat healthy at restaurants, but its a heck of a lot harder. You do need that control over what goes on your plate and cooking is going to give you that. In fact, with steam in bag veggies its quite a bit easier to be healthy then it was in 2008!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I know you said you where kinda joking about this, but just encase your not, I don't think it's a good idea. I think it could end up making you feel worse. Here's a few things I did to get started

Get a food scale (mines from Walmart it was like $15)

Start learning how to weigh and measure your foods

Then start logging it all. It's tricky at first, but you'll figure it out

After that you can see how much your really eating and drop calories from there

When something is part of my daily life, it becomes my routine. So after a while, I just do it without putting much thought into it.

You'll get there! :-) you can do this!!!!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Why can't you get started? What are you afraid of? Here's what I did to get started:

1) Week 1. Write down everything you eat. Log it here on MFP. Just get used to getting good at that.
    2) Week 2. After you see what you've written down, what jumps out at you as something you could improve upon? Tackle that item this week. For example, if you find yourself having chocolate candy every day, try dropping down to every other day. Or, try reducing the serving size (instead of a pack of Reese's have 1/2, then freeze the other one!).
    3) Week 3. More of the same as week 2. If you're not a veggie eater, try a new veggie this week or try incorporating 1 cup of veggies at each meal.
    ...and So on....

This. This. This.

The hard thing initially about MFP is developing the discipline to log your food. Shaming yourself only contributes to the downward spiral. Sounds like you are hitting a bottom and that's a good thing. Emotional bottoms can provide powerful motivation. Mine led me to a weight loss support group led by a nutritionist.

On paper, my diet looked good in the beginning, as long as I didn't include all the food and sweets that I ate between meals. My first week, I cut out all the food that I ate between meals, and the outcome was amazing: I lost 10 pounds. As the weeks progressed, my weight loss was more gradual, and I followed suggestions to help curb the hunger between meals. Then I incorporated more cardio and weight training in my regimen.

I have been sloppy recently, and although I am losing inches, I am not losing weight. I haven't been logging as diligently, and I am eating between meals again. I know the drill, I just have to follow it. I didn't work this hard to fail. You can do this. I can do this. Good luck.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options

I don't think shaming yourself about who you are is the right first step. To be successful you will need to have self respect, self love and dignity. I think your idea of mindfulness while eating IS great, however this journey will be alot easier on you if it's one because you love yourself and want good things for you rather than one of self punishment for previous actions and where you are now :flowerforyou:

THIS
  • SteviePaige
    SteviePaige Posts: 64
    Options
    Please don't torture yourself by sitting in front of the mirror while eating. Eat well and exercise because you ARE WORTH IT! Do it for you, do it because you deserve it. You deserve to feel good and love the body you're in. I think the suggestions posted here are some really great ones to get you going. We all slip up sometimes, don't give up!!!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I know you were only half joking but it sounds like it could go down a road to self loathing, maybe not but be careful x. how about focusing instead on things that you love about yourself? if you've nice nails show those beauties of with varnish, if you have nice ears wear cute lil earrings. you have our permission to show off lol...what do you love about you?

Great idea's in here btw

Edit: You have a photo on your profile....gotcha! lol you have amazing teeth and beautiful eyes. smile with them beauts and no one will notice any imperfections
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

...and So on....

I agree. Week one. Just get into the habit of logging.
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options

This.

You have to love yourself as you are now.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: For all of you. I see this in a different light now.............You all have been so kind:heart:
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion - clean out your kitchen! Throw out all those things you know you should not be eating. Your husband will benefit too - and ask your son to keep his snacks somewhere else where you won't find them! When I first started this journey back in Oct 2011 I had no will power at all and I did just that. It worked fine until I got sort of lazy about 2 months ago and began back on the snacking trail! I decided I could not get back on track until I cleaned out the kitchen again so that is what I did today - down the disposal with all the junk and hopefully tomorrow I will get back on the right track and start on the losing trail again! You can do it - just put your mind and surroundings to it! Good luck!
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Great advice