How to make running less miserable

Options
bgh707
bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
I started running about 8 weeks ago using the Couch to 5K app. Due to some pitfalls, I'm still in the progression from Week 6, but I would like to be able to run a 10K by the end of the summer (14 week plan from 0). However, I find that even though I can run 8-10 straight minutes now, it's still miserable! Do you have any advice for me so that I'm not counting down every single second?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I tried for months to be a "runner'...I hate it...now I cycle and do a bit of swimming here and there and I love it. If you want to do the 10K, that's cool but I highly recommend you find something you actually enjoy doing as you will be far more likely to be consistent and stick with it.

ETA, I'll do some mud runs here and there for fun...but that's more about the mud and obstacles for me...I pretty much loath straight up running.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Good music or running outdoors with good scenery (nature trail or something like that).

Unfortunately, it really is one of those "practice makes perfect" kinda things... The more u do it the more u'll start to like it!

Edit to add: wat cwolfman says is true too... Maybe try for a month or so more.. But if it really isn't for u find something you like better...
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think running is something you either love or you don't. I don't think you can force yourself to enjoy it more.
    I started the C25K 7 weeks ago too and from the first run i loved it.

I would recommend looking into an exercise you enjoy and look forward to doing. But what ever you do, good luck:D

Also congratulations on running 10 minutes straight! that was a huge achievement for me and i hope it was for you too!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I tried for months to be a "runner'...I hate it...now I cycle and do a bit of swimming here and there and I love it. If you want to do the 10K, that's cool but I highly recommend you find something you actually enjoy doing as you will be far more likely to be consistent and stick with it.

This! My husband is a runner, so I really tried to be a runner too. But I despise every miserable step. So I ride my bike, which makes my heart happy. I also lift weights and get at least 30 minutes of intentional cardio a week (but if that cardio is not on my mountain bike, I don't enjoy it at all).

That being said, if you really really want to learn to love running, I've been told it just takes a lot of practice. Good luck to you!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Finish the C25k and then re-evaluate. I thought I'd never make it through the whole program. Once I was running more each time it did get easier. Running will never replace lifting in my heart, so it's just something I do a few times a week.

If you truly still don't like running - find something else. As wolfman said, if you don't like it - you're not going to be motivated to keep doing it.
  • newfie026
    newfie026 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just started a modified couch to 5K. I have no desire whatsoever to take part in any type of marathon. I'm doing it for the cardio benefit. I wear my heart monitor and try to stay in my "zone". I walk 90 secs and jog for 30, using my interval timer. It vibrates when I have to change. I do 30 minutes and I am fine with that. Once I feel ready, I'll up the jogging part. I don't think I'll ever run for 30 whole minutes, but I'd like to be able to jog for a longer period of time. I find with my "Gymboss" it goes by quickly because of the intervals. They cut up my thirty minutes into chunks and time flies by..
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    So both ppl above are right but remember running is good for you. So if your running less than 15mins right now your in the what I would call the crawl phase. You know the crawl, walk, and RUN phase. so running is tough to get used to and like but it will come. In my own opinion I would say you don't run far enough to like it cause your still building. I would say get a app like I prefer RUNKEEPER its free and tracks everything for you. If you get it or have it add me kt2007. It will give you all the data you need to see what area you are getting better at. Please don't give up on running and find a group to get with. Also if you want add me would like. By no way am I pro runner or coach.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    As has been said, the best way to make it less miserable is to stop running. There's nothing magical about running as far as cardio goes, so find something else that you enjoy. I prefer cycling.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Running isn't the be all end all exercise. I also tried for years to be a "runner" because I thought I had to in order to get thin. Iwas running 35-40 miles a week hating every second of it. My knees, hips, and feet always hurt. And since I hated it, I of course eventually quit altogether and got fat, lol.

The idea here is to find sustainable healthy habits. If you hate running eventually you'll be less consistent with it and quit. I've found my exercise that I look forward to doing, and it's sure not running!
    *full disclosure, I occasionally jog for warm ups or do short sprints, but not extended steady state runs
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Do you have any advice for me so that I'm not counting down every single second?

Find a running buddy . running with someone else is a great way to progress.

Failing that, listen to music - find some tracks with a bpm close to your running cadence and have at it..
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest that you try and finish C25K first before you try something else.

The reason for this is that most of us runners have come to understand that the first 10/15 mins are known at the toxic 10 and many of us struggle for the first mile. I can run 5-7 miles easily now but still struggle for the first 20 mins and have learnt that once I once i get past that I'll make a decision whether to carry on or not.

If you are still struggling and hating it after that please try something else that you will enjoy as at the end of the day the most important aspect is to do something you love.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, try something else. You may find, as I did, though that the first few months of conditioning simply suck and you have to push through it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Agree with those that you should finish the 5k portion and reevaluate.

-Are you possibly trying to go too fast? Take it slow, as slow as needed to finish the session and maybe be less miserable?
    -Are you running outside or on a treadmill? Outside is far more interesting! If you can change up the route a bit so you've got new scenery to look at each time, that helps too - can be a good distraction.
    -Music is helpful too.
    -Time of day could be a factor - too warm, too cold?
    -Also consider food and hydration, too soon after eating? Not enough fuel? Not well hydrated? Any of these things can make a run miserable for me.

I always hated running when I was younger, and for whatever reason challenged myself to run a couple of years ago. I also used c25k and I'm still running. I have no desire to run a marathon, or even a half at the point, not sure I ever will. But I do enjoy the ability to go out and run a few miles - my average runs are usually from 3-5 miles, and I like it - most days anyway. :tongue:

Good luck!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Got to have a playlist of your favorite tunes, pump me up music.

I couldn't do any cardio without it. lol
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm hoping that it's just because I'm still in the early days. I do listen to music, a fun dance station, and it often doesn't distract me enough. I run first thing in the morning, before I've eaten but after my first coffee.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    All these people saying stop running I find strange. You are early on in your running. It took me months before I enjoyed running. If we all gave up when we started something because we didn't like it no one would ever do anything. Variety is the idea change where you run vary speed listen to music lots of things. Eventually you may or may not decide running is for you but I would at least give it a chance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, try something else. You may find, as I did, though that the first few months of conditioning simply suck and you have to push through it.

That's a good point too...if you're not very fit, attaining and even basic level of fitness is a PITA. I'd say keep after it for awhile...down the road you can better *kitten* whether it is the running that you do not like or whether it was just a matter of lacking fitness. If you're not fit, anything pretty much sucks to start out.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Find another couch to 5k participant and have a buddy. The more people= more motivation.

woops, someone already mentioned this.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    the best exercise is exercise that you enjoy doing because you're more likely to keep pursuing it....to keep it challenging. Besides, there are better fat burning exercises than steady paced cardio. There are a ton of exercise programs to choose from...find something you enjoy doing.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    What is it that is making you so miserable? Pain? Out of breath? Boredom? Try to figure out just what it is, then go from there. I had to switch to trail running to make it more enjoyable. When I do that, I have to watch where I'm going to take my next step, so time really flies, plus the scenery is amazing. Music helps.. a lot! I tend to forget about the 'count down' and focus more on my breathing, deep thoughts, or whatever. If you're out of breath, maybe go back a week on your c25k app and repeat it a couple of times until running is easier. Pain? I've had horrible foot pain, went to a podiatrist and that was taken care of.
    A lot of things can make you miserable while running and you don't have to love it. I admit that I don't always, but I do love the calorie burn and just knowing I can do it at my old age, haha.
    Anyway, I guess you just have to want to do it. If you do, you'll find a solution to whatever is bugging you. Good luck and I hope you get to enjoy running soon!