Options
Woke up to this gem on Facebook and thought some of you might enjoy reading it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/opinion/sunday/always-hungry-heres-why.html

Apparently we're all doing it wrong...

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well if it's wrong, then I don't wanna be right.... LOL!!
    Everyone is going to have their own opinions, but personally I think counting calories works :-)
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump to read after work out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My husband sent it to me this morning. I laughed.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The human body is complex and there isn't a one size fits all approach.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I didn't even finish reading it all since I already found a couple of completely wrong sentences (scientifically speaking).
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    LOL! Oh no, I guess I have been doing it wrong for the past 26 months................and here I thought it worked................silly me.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options

As proven by them tickers! Lol
  • Circinus_
    Circinus_ Posts: 7
    Options
    Actually, this article makes a lot of sense, and is probably right on almost every point. It's an interesting hypothesis -- initially, overeating causes fat gain. But then, that fat demands more energy to sustain, leaving less energy for the rest of your body's systems, causing increased hunger and (often) overeating. It's a vicious feedback cycle.

That being said, counting calories will work, but if it's the only thing you do it's going to be a long, hard road on the way to poor health. I think most of us implicitly understand that we're keeping calories in check while ALSO focusing on choosing healthy foods, cutting down on processed ones, exercising, etc etc.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Actually, this article makes a lot of sense, and is probably right on almost every point. It's an interesting hypothesis -- initially, overeating causes fat gain. But then, that fat demands more energy to sustain, leaving less energy for the rest of your body's systems, causing increased hunger and (often) overeating. It's a vicious feedback cycle.

That being said, counting calories will work, but if it's the only thing you do it's going to be a long, hard road on the way to poor health. I think most of us implicitly understand that we're keeping calories in check while ALSO focusing on choosing healthy foods, cutting down on processed ones, exercising, etc etc.

god thank you, finally a voice of reason to counter balance the far-too-many-loud-but-silly-voices of mfp.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well if it's wrong, then I don't wanna be right.... LOL!!
    Everyone is going to have their own opinions, but personally I think counting calories works :-)

bump
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    In to catch up with later
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options

^^^^ This!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

As proven by them tickers! Lol

haha, my thoughts exactly
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol the Taubes notion of obesity is mentioned

"A recent study by one of us, Dr. Ludwig, and his colleagues published in JAMA examined 21 overweight and obese young adults after they had lost 10 to 15 percent of their body weight, on diets ranging from low fat to low carbohydrate. Despite consuming the same number of calories on each diet, subjects burned about 325 more calories per day on the low carbohydrate than on the low fat diet — amounting to the energy expended in an hour of moderately intense physical activity."

Yet there was no significant difference in weight lost between all three of the diets despite a supposedly higher cal burn, then when looking at figure 3, well clearly not all the subjects saw increases on low carb. And low carb diet also had higher protein intake, which in no way could be a confounder
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol lies, there have been no metabolic ward trials that controlled caloric intake?

"UNFORTUNATELY, existing research cannot provide a definitive test of our hypothesis. Several prominent clinical trials reported no difference in weight loss when comparing diets purportedly differing in protein, carbohydrate and fat. However, these trials had major limitations; at the end, subjects reported that they had not met the targets for complying with the prescribed diets. We wouldn’t discard a potentially lifesaving cancer treatment based on negative findings, if the research subjects didn’t take the drug as intended."
  • collegeboy13
    Options
    This article is absolutely terrible. He states that the problem is "rapidly digesting carbohydrates" but the funny part is that this usually does not occur in practice. When people eat fiber, protein and/or fat alongside the carbs the GI index goes out the window. This is why foods such as fruit is still slow digesting (because of the fiber content) albeit being high in sugar.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Lol the Taubes notion of obesity is mentioned

"A recent study by one of us, Dr. Ludwig, and his colleagues published in JAMA examined 21 overweight and obese young adults after they had lost 10 to 15 percent of their body weight, on diets ranging from low fat to low carbohydrate. Despite consuming the same number of calories on each diet, subjects burned about 325 more calories per day on the low carbohydrate than on the low fat diet — amounting to the energy expended in an hour of moderately intense physical activity."

Yet there was no significant difference in weight lost between all three of the diets despite a supposedly higher cal burn, then when looking at figure 3, well clearly not all the subjects saw increases on low carb. And low carb diet also had higher protein intake, which in no way could be a confounder

^Exactly. All three macros levels were different on all three diets, so to claim that the difference is due to carbs alone is just bad science.

Does the fat itself demand more energy, or does the entire body need more energy even at rest for people who are bigger? We all calculate our BMRs here, it's really not a surprise to anyone that larger people have higher BMRs. But there are guys here who are damn near pure muscle who have the same BMR as someone with a BMI of 40, so is it really the fat to blame?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Lulz
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

Exactly this!

It does say that it works for 1 in 6 individuals, which means there are other things that work for other individuals.

Also, this:

"As it turns out, many biological factors affect the storage of calories in fat cells, including genetics, levels of physical activity, sleep and stress."

Just simply "counting calories" probably won't work for most people. Once you start paying attention to where your calories come from, your macros and your activity as well as your sleep, stress, hormones..etc., that's when you might find something that "works" for you. And some people may even find that the act of counting calories isn't necessary for them to lose weight/maintain weight loss. And really, you shouldn't have to count them for the rest of your life. At some point, you should be able to eat without having to know the exact numbers.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The NY Times seems to be going out of its way to search out page clicks and sensationalism.

And if THAT'S our paper of record...:noway: