Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What does lifting "heavy" mean to women?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    "Heavy" isn't a number.
    For me, it's fatigue by the 5th or 6th rep.

This, but I do 3-5 reps.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Heavy is a weight one would find challenging, some by the 3-5 rep range and others go higher on the reps. Some people will only consider "heavy" as leaving the gym without being able to lift you arm over your head or having to drag yourself to your car or bus completely spent. Seeing as you want numbers...

I've never had my 1RM tested but heavy for me would be say a flat bench press for me would be about 125lbs at the 3-4 rep range for about 4 3-4 sets, though that's going to go up soon...

My squats have to be lighter than I'd like because I have to be careful of a shunt I have implanted so that's about 100lbs

Leg press however would be 600 pounds

Deadlift for me since I had taken a break from them and only started up again consistently 2 weeks ago would be 135lbs for a 5-rep range for 5 sets

Don't really like curls, but hammer curls for example would be 50 pounds for 5 reps, a bent-over row for a set of 8 is 90 pounds, a Pendlay row again for 8 reps is about 95lbs so...Depends on the person really
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Reviewing this.. Lifting heavy has no real definition? It's just what is heavy for you?? I don't think I am lifting anywhere near heavy for me...

if I understand it right (what i've read and what i've seen online) You lift as much as you can for 3-5 reps and do 3-5 sets?

Today i used the barbell and did the following
    Squats - with 20lbs worth of weights 5x5
    Bench press- with 20lbs worth of weights 5x5
    Bent over row with 30lbs worth of weights 5x5
    Barbell shrugs with 40lbs worth of weights 3x8
    Tricep extension - 35lbs overhead 3x8
    Straight bar curls - no weight added just the bar 3x8
    Hyperextension with 10lb plate - 2x10
    Cable crunches - 90lbs - 3x10

The only ones that felt heavy were the curls, the tricep extension and the bench press. The crunches were easy once I got into the postion, it was hard to pull that weight down initally. But once I was on the ground it was easy to crunch.

So do I just keep increasing weight until it's difficult to do?

I also have no idea how much the bar weight or if that is record or not.. When people ask how much I lift do I include the bar weight in my answer?

1-5 reps build strength
    6-12 build mass
    12+ endurance

When doing 5 reps a set or 8 a set whatever, you should be struggling with those last few reps in most programs.

There are programs that are made for different things. Many posters on MFP start with a 5x5 like stronglifts to build strength. Some programs will have a mix of strength and hypertrophy reps.

My suggestion is get a program if you are really wanting to lift and make gains (either mass or strength). You do include the bar weight in your answer. A 7' olympic barbell is around 45 lbs.

Ok..
    So you'd have to add the bar weight to the weights lifted above then.
    so Im guessing i need to get onto the squat rack somehow.. I'm not strong enough to get anymore weight up over my heat.. The squats were not difficult at all.
    Neither were a few of the other exercises, but i haven't done these before. So I'll up them next time.
    I want to gain in strength and turn fat into muscle. I don't know if that is what you mean by mass?
    I run for endurance. Or is this a different kind of endurance.
  • medicablasto
    medicablasto Posts: 37 Member
    and very poetic! jajaj :drinker:
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    LULZ. Man I'm laughing - August? And I pulled 250- goes to show you what hard work and time/consistency will get you

I hit 305 on Thursday- been stuck at 285 for months!!

I saw that the other day and meant to say congratulations. Going over 300 was a big mental block for me. Like you I was at 285 forever and then suddently BAM 315.

Yay for you. No going back now right?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    LULZ. Man I'm laughing - August? And I pulled 250- goes to show you what hard work and time/consistency will get you

I hit 305 on Thursday- been stuck at 285 for months!!

I saw that the other day and meant to say congratulations. Going over 300 was a big mental block for me. Like you I was at 285 forever and then suddently BAM 315.

Yay for you. No going back now right?

Thank you- it was a big moment for sure- definitely a mental block as well- I have had 300 on the bar I think 2-3 times and just could NOT get it to clear my knees.

Of course that night I was alone- and I ruined the "coolness" with my childlike delight of doing a big fat happy dance in the middle of the gym. All that high volume and explosive hip training (rack pulls- and DL to knees) seem to really be paying off.

Indeed- ONWARD AND UPWARD.

I'm confident I can pull 315 when fresh- really excited for the meet in July- hoping to get 325 or higher but ... I don't want to get greedy lol :tongue:
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    My definition of heavy is a weight that you can lift about 6 times before pooping out. Of course this amount will increase over time based on the hypertrophy theory.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    To me, heavy means I cannot complete more than 8 reps with that weight.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Ok..
    so Im guessing i need to get onto the squat rack somehow.. I'm not strong enough to get anymore weight up over my heat.. The squats were not difficult at all.
    Neither were a few of the other exercises, but i haven't done these before. So I'll up them next time.
    I want to gain in strength and turn fat into muscle. I don't know if that is what you mean by mass?

You can't "turn" fat into muscle. Fat and muscle are two different things in your body. Mass gains are hypertrophy = increasing the volume of muscle. So, actually making the muscle larger.

You can't really lose fat (eating at a deficit) AND gain muscle (you would need to eat at a surplus) at the same time.

You CAN lose fat and eat enough protein and lift weights to preserve the muscle mass you do have while burning fat.

Many times people will get a bit of pump from lifting and also lose weight and they think they've also built muscle, which is not the case. They've revealed the muscle they had under the fat. So if you are wanting to lose weight, it is very important to lift because when you get to your goal wait, you (probably) want a fit and tight body. That's what muscle does for your body. ((Women can be SO uneducated about all this and think that if they lift more than 8 lb dbs they will turn into a bodybuilder.))

You CAN make strength gains while eating at a deficit to lose weight.

If you did want to actually increase the amount of muscle you have later on, you would do a bulk on purpose. Lifting hard while eating MORE than your maintenance calories. Usually people do this for a period of time to gain muscle (you also end up gaining some fat) then they will do another cut to shed the fat and preserve the new muscle they made.

Check out the Stronglifts program or Starting Strength for a weight lifting routine to follow.

I tried to make this really clear….hope I didn't muddy the water too much!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Okay, you want numbers. My deadlift currently is 170lb and back squat 150 lbs. Get on a progressive program and start lifting! Fun stuff!
  • geek23ka
    geek23ka Posts: 38 Member

I usually lift WABDL and R.A.W. United. I love the sport because it's you vs you - no one else to blame if you screw up.

I agree with the dieting part. I'm not a fan of cutting for a meet. The last meet I did (last month) I actually had to gain weight; that was harder than cutting for me!

I coach Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting and I've coached quite a few female athletes and clients over the past couple years. The best changes to female bodies come from heavy lifting (if the diet is right!).

yeah, i like that it's just me up there, doing what i do. i was never good at team sports because thinking about other people and anticipating them sort of unfocuses me. but in powerlifting it's just me and the bar. i can handle that.

oly weightlifting is so overwhelming and so beautiful. coaching that is no joke! i'm just a grunt compared to the women who can pull a pretty oly lift.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Ok..

You can't "turn" fat into muscle. Fat and muscle are two different things in your body. Mass gains are hypertrophy = increasing the volume of muscle. So, actually making the muscle larger.

You can't really lose fat (eating at a deficit) AND gain muscle (you would need to eat at a surplus) at the same time.

You CAN lose fat and eat enough protein and lift weights to preserve the muscle mass you do have while burning fat.

Many times people will get a bit of pump from lifting and also lose weight and they think they've also built muscle, which is not the case. They've revealed the muscle they had under the fat. So if you are wanting to lose weight, it is very important to lift because when you get to your goal wait, you (probably) want a fit and tight body. That's what muscle does for your body. ((Women can be SO uneducated about all this and think that if they lift more than 8 lb dbs they will turn into a bodybuilder.))

If you did want to actually increase the amount of muscle you have later on, you would do a bulk on purpose. Lifting hard while eating MORE than your maintenance calories. Usually people do this for a period of time to gain muscle (you also end up gaining some fat) then they will do another cut to shed the fat and preserve the new muscle they made.

Check out the Stronglifts program or Starting Strength for a weight lifting routine to follow.

Well I definitely ate at surplus yesterday. Not that I wanted too. I know you can't actually turn fat into muscle. I meant I don't care if my weight stays the same as it is today, as long as my BF decreases. That being said. i'm still about 15 lbs over what doctors says is ideal for me. I am trying a program. What I listed is a program. I don't really want to grain mass. Just strength. Does that require a bulk? the only time I use the 8lb weights is during my HIIT class.
  • coachbennettlhs
    coachbennettlhs Posts: 30 Member
    yeah, i like that it's just me up there, doing what i do. i was never good at team sports because thinking about other people and anticipating them sort of unfocuses me. but in powerlifting it's just me and the bar. i can handle that.

oly weightlifting is so overwhelming and so beautiful. coaching that is no joke! i'm just a grunt compared to the women who can pull a pretty oly lift.

With those numbers you're no grunt. Oly lifts aren't overwhelming if you know the progression. Start with front squats (sit back, chin up, good shin angle) and overhead squats (start with broomstick then progress to more weight, shoulders back, push off heals) then the rest will come. My wife just started doing Olympic lifting a couple months ago and she's already hitting solid C&Js of over 100lbs. And trust me, if she can do it, anyone can (don't tell her I said that!).

I hold several state records for deadlift, but I am weak at the top of the pull just above the knees. I credit hang cleans for helping me push my weak point.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Ok..

Well I definitely ate at surplus yesterday. Not that I wanted too. I know you can't actually turn fat into muscle. I meant I don't care if my weight stays the same as it is today, as long as my BF decreases. That being said. i'm still about 15 lbs over what doctors says is ideal for me. I am trying a program. What I listed is a program. I don't really want to grain mass. Just strength. Does that require a bulk? the only time I use the 8lb weights is during my HIIT class.

You should be fine. One day of surplus will just make a dent in your overall deficit.

A recomp would be lowering body fat and maybe weight staying the same, which can happen. From what I understand it's a slow process for a noticeable change, that's why many people do a cut/bulk/cut cycle.

No, you can gain strength eating in a deficit while losing weight. Your strength gains may stall at some point.

I just used the 8 lb db example because apparently women on these boards think they will get bulky, which is just not the case.

It sounds like you are right on track to meeting your goals! i'm in the same boat!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,857 Member
    This is heavy for me.

Machine Bench: 3 x 8 @ 61 kg
    Machine Row: 3 x 8 @ 83 kg
    Shoulder Press: 3 x 8 @ 31 kg
    Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 51 kg
    Leg Press: 3 x 12 @ 91 kg (have previously done a little more, but my knees don't like it)

I got a neurological disease in 2011 which has affected my balance. It's not safe for me to squat, lunge or deadlift.
  • juliewatkin
    The last week to 10 days, it seems everything feels heavy:

Friday was squat 205x5
    Monday was bench 105 5x5
    deadlift 255x5
    bw127

maxes are
    squat 242.5
    bench 130
    deadlift 305 (at 125) and 315 (at 135)
  • coachbennettlhs

Friday was squat 205x5
    Monday was bench 105 5x5
    deadlift 255x5
    bw127

maxes are
    squat 242.5
    bench 130

Amazing!!! Those numbers are heavy for some of my male athletes!

How long have you been competing?
  • coachbennettlhs
    This is heavy for me.

Machine Bench: 3 x 8 @ 61 kg
    Machine Row: 3 x 8 @ 83 kg
    Shoulder Press: 3 x 8 @ 31 kg
    Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 51 kg
    Leg Press: 3 x 12 @ 91 kg (have previously done a little more, but my knees don't like it)

I got a neurological disease in 2011 which has affected my balance. It's not safe for me to squat, lunge or deadlift.

Those weights look great! You're doing the right thing by sticking to the machines. Safety first!
  • juliewatkin

Friday was squat 205x5
    Monday was bench 105 5x5
    deadlift 255x5
    bw127

maxes are
    squat 242.5
    bench 130

Amazing!!! Those numbers are heavy for some of my male athletes!

How long have you been competing?

I did my first meet in 2008 and am heading into number 24 next month. I've competed equipped for the most part but since our federation added an unequipped division several years ago, I've been moving that way a bit. In addition, I am our provincial association president (with a membership of over 400) and have do do my best to represent both divisions for our membership so I go both ways :)

My equipped numbers are of course, higher
    squat : 325
    Bench: 176
    Deadlift: 363
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    I agree that "heavy" is different for each person.

My current pr's

Deadlift- 300lbs (shooting for 315 by my next competition Aug 2! it's a hummer tire deadlift!!)
    Squat 250lbs
    Bench 115 lbs
    Log press 120 lbs
    OHP Axle 120 lbs
    Heaviest yoke I've attempted is 350lbs for 60 ft
    Sled drag- 500lbs