Finally getting serious

Options
stephvmp
stephvmp Posts: 2 Member
HI, my name's Stephanie

So, I've been struggling with my weight for most of my life and I'm finally ready at age 20 to get serious about it. My earliest memory about being self-conscious I believe I was 4 years old, and I asked my mother "Why am I fat?" Looking back, a child should never question their worth and feel this way. And since I went through my childhood feeling ugly and disgusting because of my weight I blamed my parents for not instilling healthier habits in me. My father only judged/made fun of my weight when I was too young to do anything about it, and my mom never took my self hatred seriously enough. However, now I am an adult and have no one to blame but myself for my unhealthy habits. So, here I am looking for helpful advice and support on my weight-loss journey and I'll be doing the same for others if needed.

Replies

• TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Add me or message me if you need advice or help with anything :) Goodluck in getting there!
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Often we become the person we are to be "in spite of" our upbringing! Way to take responsibility for your own life. You will be grateful you made this decision at such a young age.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats for taking responsibility for your health! :-) you can do this!!
  • AmyBethDavis16
    AmyBethDavis16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know for me it just takes me getting in the right frame of mind to start on a program and stick with it. I have been carrying extra weight since I had kids ... for the past 12 years now. It just had to click in my brain to get started. I am finally getting serious now too... yay us! :)
    You should figure out a plan, how you are going to lose the weight, find support people or a buddy, set a goal, and GO!
    I joined a 7 week Body Transformation Challenge at a gym that kicked start my plan. I am exercising and tracking everything I eat on here which has been SOOOO helpful! Try and meet with a nutrition counselor or someone knowledgable to go over how much you should be eating each day...breaking it down by calories, fat, carbs, protein, sugars, ...etc so you can really monitor what you are eating. That has helped me a lot! Having a partner is helpful too. YOu keep each other accountable.
    Good luck! It is going to be hard but sooo worth it!! People on here are always going to be availabe to give you advice and help you out.
    It's going to take a while, so be patient. You can do it!!!!!
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Incorporate healthy foods into your diet...lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, lean protein. Learn portion control and don't take seconds! Drink lots of water. Get some exercise every day....I just walk, and this works fine for me. I've lost 80 pounds, and am hoping to lose another 5-10.