About to hit day 100, need to stay strong.

Options
lalexcox
lalexcox Posts: 6 Member
Hi, I'm Alex. I'm 36 years old in North Carolina. I began a program at a weight loss clinic about four months ago, and I've been logging consistently with MFP for 97 days. I've now lost 35 pounds, going from 325 to 290. My heaviest weight was 365 in 209, my lowest as an adult was 220 in 2002. From 2006 to 2009 I gained 100 pounds. My weight has fluctuated wildly because I'm good at starting programs, sticking with them for about 90 days, and falling off the wagon.
In a nutshell, I focus on two numbers, calories and protein. I eat 1800 calories per day, and try to hit at least 130 grams of protein, if not more. On better days, I get 160. I am happy with what I eat, and I believe it is an effective lifestyle change rather than just a diet. I'm getting some form of exercise five days a week now, and mix things up among, walking, jogging, bicycling, dumbbell strength training, resistance bands, and strength training at the gym.
However, ever since I hit the 90 day mark, I've been anxious about losing motivation, or letting the diary lapse. I log in online every day to see the streak counter increment. I know this is more a psychological fear from past experience, but I don't want it to be a self fulfilling prophecy.
I haven't been completely alone this time around. My weight loss doctor, nutritionist, and exercise advisor have all been fantastic. I've been to monthly support meetings. I have friends at work and in my personal life on MFP that I talk to occasionally about weight loss and fitness. To add another avenue of support, I'm posting here, plan to start reading some posts and comment in others. I don't want to stop what I'm doing, because it is working well and I believe this is the beginning of a much better lifestyle.
This appears to be a great community. As I begin becoming more active here, I hope to make some friends and keep my motivation. Thank you in advance for any support.

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I read this quote the other day about motivation...

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

You can't think about the past and what's happened before. You've made positive changes that are lifestyle changes not a diet.

I also think if you're always looking in the rear view mirror you can't see what's coming.

You can't change the past, you can only change right now. So focus on what you are doing now.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far! It sounds like you are doing it in a healthy way and are aware of your past issues with adherence. I think it's very normal to have ups and downs along the way. If your problem lies within the diet part, I suggest making room in your diary for "treats" that you love in moderation. For me, it's usually chocolate.

I find when I am losing motivation, I check out the success stories here. Reading a few of those tends to get me going again.

The other thing I want to share, is that for me it is more about changing habits than motivation. Motivation is what gets you started, changing or creating new habits is what keeps you going.

Good luck!
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

You can't think about the past and what's happened before. You've made positive changes that are lifestyle changes not a diet.

I also think if you're always looking in the rear view mirror you can't see what's coming.

You can't change the past, you can only change right now. So focus on what you are doing now.

^^ This. It's easy to get stuck on the past, but just keep focusing on the goal. You've done great so far with your consistent logging in and the weight loss. Just keep reminding yourself of your progress and keep focusing on your goal.

Also adding more friends on MFP helps with motivation. Feel free to add me if you'd like. And keep up the good work! :)
  • lalexcox
    lalexcox Posts: 6 Member
    Options

-Wayne Dyer

Thank you all for the support and advice!
    graceisjinxed, I'll definitely keep that quote saved. I can think of a few situations where it is a good thought.
    sun_fish, I'm going to read more of the success stories. Hopefully I'll have my own eventually.
    DellaWiedel, I've added you as a friend. Thank you.