No one to run a 5k with!

Options
I really want to sign up for a 5k to keep my more motivated with my training but i have no one to sign up with, is it sad to run your first race alone? I'm scared of embarrassing myself and dragging behind in dead last all by myself.

It's frustrating having no one to share my fitness goals with to help support and motivate each other in real life

Replies

• LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Goodness, no, go for it!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You'll make friends- just go do it- You'll have a blast!!

I do all sorts of things alone because well- if I wanted around for people to do them with me- I'd never do the things I wanted to do!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I do all my Running alone as I don't play well with others ;-). I'm planning on doing a half by myself at the end of August there wont be anyone there to support me (as my wife is too ill to come) The start line is just down the road from my house so I'll go run it then come home. It'll just be like one of my normal runs with a few more people on the roads and none of those annoying car things. Go for it
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I run nearly all of my races alone. I ran a half marathon today alone. I always end up chatting with someone and having a good time. I run for me and to achieve my goals. It is nice to have someone around, but I don't get upset. My friends are supportive of my running even though they don't. Just go out there and have fun.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm running a marathon alone, go for a big race (race for life etc), there's always a good atmosphere and everyone talks to each other throughout the race, go for it:)
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Doooooooit!
    I ran my first 5k on my own - I was SUPER nervous, but quickly found that everything I was nervous about were total non-issues. I talked to people, I wasn't last, I wasn't the only person that took walking breaks, etc. It was a great experience!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Even if you go with friends, you probably would all run at a different pace anyway. Just go and enjoy yourself.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I ran my first race alone! Go for it - you're alone but you're not! You'll be in a crowd of other runners of all abilities, speeds, ages, sizes and it will be amazing and fun.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I run all my races alone. And I'm not alone in doing that! Ha! Sorry...

Lots of folks at 5K races that run without a running partner, friend, family, etc. None of my friends are interested in running so I don't nag them to participate.

I'm training for a half marathon, and will be running a nautical 10 miler (11.5 regular miles) in two weeks...both alone. I personally prefer it, I only have to worry about myself and my pace.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Aw wow thank you so much everyone. This has boosted my confidence so much, i've found one i like the look of and i'm gonna sign up first thing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it so much already now:D
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I enjoy running is because I get to do it alone.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Go. For. It.

:happy:
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I run all my races alone, you'll make friends along the way though to push each other on. I ran the best part of a 10k last year with someone I'd never met before, after the finish she came up to me and said "I couldn't have done it without you". I was so chuffed for both of us
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Me too, it's like my own personal quiet time. Almost like meditating even.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I love 5k races. You'll meet new people if you're reasonably friendly before the race and even after. Maybe you'll meet a running buddy. Go and have a good time!
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have to say that me, myself and I are the three best training partners I ever had. They very rarely let me down.
    Sometimes I pay a P.T. to help me out, and I like to attend gym classes but as far as friends go - they just don't have the commitment to fitness/goals that I have, and relying on them would mean that I don't attain my goals.

I have signed up for the 5k Race for Life in York in June. I don't even know anybody in York so even more alone! I'll have my music on and go for it :)
  • cupcakesANDiron
    Options
    Where are you located hun! I have the same problem. I dropped out of the Color Run because I didn't want to do it alone.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Where are you located hun! I have the same problem. I dropped out of the Color Run because I didn't want to do it alone.

Good point, I'll run a 5k with you if your anywhere near London
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options

THIS.... and even when you run with somebody they might run slower or faster than you, so you won't be able to be side by side ...races are about your personal best. Enjoy and relax ...meet new friends :smile:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

THIS.... and even when you run with somebody they might run slower or faster than you, so you won't be able to be side by side ...races are about your personal best. Enjoy and relax ...meet new friends :smile:

This exactly. I've only done one 5k with a friend and we went at two different speeds, so it was almost as if we were doing it alone anyway. I'm doing a triathlon with another friend in August but I doubt we'll see each other the whole time. So, even if you do it "with a friend" you're still kinda doing it alone.

Glad you're going to sign up! Good luck!! :)