Trying to keep skin tight?

Options
kikityme
kikityme Posts: 472 Member
Not much of a story here. I want to get off the diabetes medication. I'm doing ok at the losing fat/controlling food part of it. But....I'm petrified of how my skin will look after. It's not going to stop me, but it's always nagging in the back of my head.

Currently, I walk an hour every day (sometimes fast, sometimes slow, depends how I feel :)
Every other day I do a round of the machines, arms and legs. I do that assisted pull up every other day as well. 2 sets of 12.

But....well, all my fat is in my middle (with a nice little padding everywhere else hah.) And I don't really know what I can do for abs beside sit ups, which frankly, I'm just too fat right now to do effectively.

I'm not even thinking supermodel right now, I'm just hoping not to have 30 years of baggy skin to deal with when I'm done.

Does anyone have any tips for that? Do weights even help it? I've read super depressing articles that boil down to "you're going to have to have surgery to remove the skin." Which really just makes me wonder if I should just have the bypass surgery you know? (ok, that was a *little* bit of joking). But then, I've also seen pictures here, where the skin looks amazing after people have lost way more weight than I even need to.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Until somebody more informed comes along...

I believe that slow weight loss and moisturising can help with this. I believe that surgery for excess skin can be done on the NHS.

Edit - sorry, just remembered that you may not be in UK.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Until somebody more informed comes along...

I believe that slow weight loss and moisturising can help with this. I believe that surgery for excess skin can be done on the NHS.

Edit - sorry, just remembered that you may not be in UK.

Thanks, I'm assuming NHS=National Health Service? I'm in Canada, we probably have something similar (although I think NHS is a bit more comprehensive.)

It's not really the cost I'm worried about, I'd just rather not have anyone cut me on purpose.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, if you lose weight at a sensible rate and do weights (body weight also counts) it helps a lot with allowing your skin to match the weight loss.I also believe that your skin will always catch up eventually.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is a fear of mine too. I have had a gradual weight loss so far and my fat and skin seems to be coming in nicely everywhere but my tummy. But I moisturise and tell myself to be patient. Hopefully the gods will smile down on us. :o)

But yep, slow loss, moisturise and muscle building seems to be the recommended route to minimise the effects. I do think age and amount of initial weight affect this too though. My GP told me a while ago that it may take a couple of years for the skin to recover to your new default, so I guess patience is key, even when we are fit.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Depends on many factors including - genetics, age, history of gain / lose cycle, amount of weight lost, environment, exercise, diet, body comp (lean body mass vs skinny fat). And don't forget it can take quite a while for skin to tighten depending on the amount of weight lost.
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    From what I've read and talked to doctors about, it depends of course on age, genetics, how quickly you lose. Staying hydrated and moisturizing skin can help. And it can take up to 2 years for loose skin to "shrink" up. So, from what I've heard, most surgeons won't operate until that time, in effort to avoid unnecessary surgery.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, if you lose weight at a sensible rate and do weights (body weight also counts) it helps a lot with allowing your skin to match the weight loss.I also believe that your skin will always catch up eventually.

What you understand is wrong.

The hypodermis is beneath dermis which is beneath epidermis. It is used mainly for fat storage. It is often referred to as subcutaneous tissue though this is a less precise and anatomically inaccurate term.

The hypodermis is not part of the skin, and lies below the dermis. Its purpose is to attach the skin to underlying bone and muscle as well as supplying it with blood vessels and nerves. It consists of loose connective tissue and elastin. The main cell types are fibroblasts, macrophages and adipocytes (the hypodermis contains 50% of body fat).

Fibrous bands made of collagen and elastin anchor the skin to the deep fascia. How well your body can maintain them is not very well understood and has a lot of factors like age. (so it comes down to luck)

I have a lot of extra skin. I dont like it, but I can think of things much worse, that has happened to a lot better people then me.