Hula Hoop Logging?

Options
Hi Guys,

I've bought myself a weighted hula hoop as I'm trying to tone my stomach and like the idea of combining exercise with something a bit fun. I don't however know how best to log the exercise, the only hula hoop option is the Wii Fit version which isn't actually done using any equipment. The one I bought is 1.65lb so I'm not sure if it will be comparable, it will definitely be harder especially as I have zero coordination.

Any ideas how best to log it? If anyone has tried using a weighted hula hoop I'd also love to find out how you got on and if you found it worked at all :)

Becky

Replies

• divinamama
    divinamama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi there Becky - I have a big beginner hoop too & have been using it lots - at first I couldnt keep it up at all!! My husband looked at me as though "here she goes with another get-fit scheme that she will likely give up on right away" but I loved the proud look on his face a cpl weeks later when I surprised him by showing him I could keep it up now - I think he really likes the "sensuality" of how hooping moves a curvy body lol - I dont really know any tricks at all but have been creating my own "flow" type hoop dancing that would probably be laughed at by many more experienced hoopers (if they are jerks! lol) but I just like "letting go" and dancing to my music - I have been taping myself a bit now to watch my moves afterwards and see which ones I like and which arent so great - I actually break a really good sweat doing that and combining hooping with treadmill exercise and weight lifting, pilates, and eating right I am very much hoping to release a lot of my self- esteem problems and feel better about myself while hopefully gaining the side bonus of toning up or losing weight. NOW.. back to your original question lol (sorry!!) I personally have been using a Polar Heart Rate monitor called "FT4" which I bought on Amazon -I LOVE it! It helps me see the calorie count in accordance to how hard my heart has been working to know that I am burning calories - I have been trying to burn between 300-500 calories a day when working out.. You can keep track of all your Data from your Polar watch somewhere on their websites I think or you could create your own spreadsheet type thing.. right now I havent been that organized with it but eventually want to be - I ordered a health journal from Blogilates .com and really love it - cute pics and a place to write down everything to track your efforts - To be "ideal" weight I have approx 15-20 lbs to lose... My hubby says he likes my body the way it is but I have always had issues with really feeling comfortable in my skin.. hope that helps a bit !! :)
  • pickleRH83
    pickleRH83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sorry I totally missed your reply :D thank you so much, sounds like you're having an awesome time hopping! I've not managed to get the habit of it yet, lots of comedy injuries, but I would like to perfect keeping it up at least!! Will let you know how I get on :)
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As a hula hoop fitness/ dance instructor, I commend you both for picking up the hula hoop to try it as fitness. It has both physical and emotional benefits in using the hoop as both an expression of fitness and an expression of dance.