Ultra Marathon Runners

Options
What does your training schedule look like??
Currently a week away from my first full marathon and would really like to do an ultra, however I currently don't run very fast so it does make my running sessions a bit longer.

I have found the marathon training tedious at times, mainly because I had an issue last year with my achilles so I have done the majority of my training on forest trails, which is great but it's the same forest that I'm in 4 times a week doing the same circuit, sometimes more than once in the same day!!!

I also have 2 jobs, a dog and horses which again impacts the amount of time I have available to train, just trying to get an idea of what people's training schedules look like and if it's something that I could look at for next year (the one I'm eyeing up is called The Wall and is 69miles from Carlisle Castle to Millenium Bridge)

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There is a good plan in the book "Relentless Progress Forward." Great Ultra book, too. I would transcribe it here for you but I can't seem to find our copy right at this moment!
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    While not really my thing (My ULTRA is a swim/bike/run combination)... MY bf and many of the crazies I hang out with are accomplished ultra runners who I have crewed for on many occasions. Here's a great resource for training plans

http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/index.html

No worry about being "slow" . I find Ultra running is geared for those of us who are on the "turtle" end of the speed spectrum, as we tend to have great stamina.

It's not about doing super-long runs, but working in the ability to do "doubles" and back to back long runs, to get the time on your feet.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ask 10 ultra runners for their training plans, you'll get 10 different answers.
    There are a few basics though:
    - Once you have a base level of endurance fitness, the rest is mental. If you can run a marathon, you can generally also run a 50k or 50 miler with some little tweaks.
    -The staple of ultra training is back-to-back long runs. Marathon plans have one a week, ultras do it on both Saturday and Sunday. You can structure this a few ways - I will do my first (and longer) long run on whatever surface I will be racing (trail vs. road). The second I will flip to the other surface. Some of my friends will do a long run in the morning, followed by a long hike in the afternoon. One friend's strategy was to buy a dog and spend entire days in the mountains.
    -Speed work tends to go out the window at first. 400m intervals aren't going to do much for you in a 50 mile race. Everything became about long, slow miles. I will still run tempo runs, but not everyone will.
    -For a 50k, your long runs don't have to go past 22 miles. For a 50 miler, 30-33 miles is fine for the longest run.
    Generally, I have would top out at about 55-60 mpw for a marathon. About the same for 50k. For a 50+ miler I was up to 75/week.
    -I slowed down my training pace and learned to eat while running. Solid food (a mush of peanut butter, banana, and honey in a pastry bag was my favorite) that had salt in it in addition to gels.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about ultras for years now.. I wanted to reach my marathon goal of qualifying for boston before I ventured into that territory. I recently qualified (3:27) so I signed up for my first ultra... I'm doing a 50 miler in September. I've read relentless forward progress- good read. However, I'm not much of a plan follower as much as I would like to be... Here is a snap shot of my training..

March 29th- marathon (3:27)
    I take virtually no time off maintaining my 50-60 miles per week
    April 26- marathon (3:31)
    Taking eve less time off after maintaining 60+ miles per week
    May 24th- first 50k
    Taking a down week then résumé to 50-60
    And begin incorporating back to back long runs with "do what I can" attitude... Mostly 16 Saturday then 10-12 trails on Sunday... Etc
    June 22nd- grandmas marathon
    Keep mileage high with B2B long runs
    July 19th- trail marathon
    Keep mileage high
    August 23rd- trail marathon
    August 24th- 20 miler
    Begin taper
    50 miler September 13rd

I have another marathon on October 12th..

That is just a rough sketch plan idea I have in my head. I try to take it one day at a time. I'd like to run a 100 miler within the next year or maybe I won't. Depends on how everything goes. My training might be a bit much, but I think it'll work well for me
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks All

It's more a time commitment for me, not sure if I have the time to commit to the training, have my first marathon on Sunday so going to see how my ankle reacts to that before going forward.

I have found a 33 mile one that's a hours drive from me in November, it's a trail run and an out and back so they provide a bag drop half way (think one of my issues if I was to go forward with more of them would be getting people to crew for me), at 33miles, I'm sure if I can complete the marathon I can add on another 7 miles.

Fingers crossed my ankle holds up after Sunday and I can really look at getting one done in November!!!