I Need Help with My Motivation

Options
For five days I have been doing so well. Eating very healthy getting exercise and today when I weighed myself I had lost three pounds. Oh and did I mention for the first time in my life I am forcing myself to drink 64 oz of water a day.

Today I sucked:( I was doing so well this afternoon then snuck 2 spoonfuls of chocolate icing. How disgusting is that????? I don't even like chocolate icing...I think I was just craving something horribly sweet.

If you are a great motivator please add me as a friend. I am mature enough to admit that I cannot do this on my own and need to be surrounded by those who are in the same boat as me. Someone who can encourage me as much as I can encourage them.

Replies

• tish30930
    tish30930 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wish I was a great motivator. I'm a procrastinator and just started. I was just *itching myself out for not having motivation to exercise. I think you are doing EXCELLENT! And I say, better just a few spoonfuls of frosting than the whole darn can and the cake and then a package of oreos!!!! LOL! Seriously, I think you're going fabulous!!! Focus on the good, let the frosting go!!!! :happy:
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You need a kitchen makeover.
  • melissarforlife
    melissarforlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You sound like me!!! Its okay! Today is a new day. Do better today! YOU CAN! :) Don't put yourself down!!!! Look at what you have already accomplished, and move ahead...k? Hugs from so cal....please add me as a friend!
  • DarthBubbles
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it!
    It's hard to go from eating whatever (especially if you like sweets, like me!) to counting calories and eating healthy.
    I think it's something that gets easier over time, but slipping up is really normal from what I've noticed...you just gotta pick yourself up, dust youself off, and keep moving in the right direction.
    If it makes you feel better, all I can think about now is chocolate icing...mmmmmm!
  • sherrik10
    sherrik10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am a great motivator but I slacked off during the holidays and just started back. I gained 5 of the 6 pounds I lost but now I am down 2 pounds (water weight I think). Don't beat yourself up if you have an off day. Just remember that tomorrow is a new day.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ! wanted to eat everything but the cabinets in the kitchen today. There are just days like that! I have 15 pounds to lose...the same 15 that I have lost and gained back about 10 times in the last 15 years. Today Deepak Chopra was on Dr. OZ. There were many things they said today that I am using to keep me motivated. Good Luck!
  • Loribell23
    Options
    What happened today is just a TINY set back. You aren't perfect and it's okay to slip up. Just get back up, dust yourself off and start fresh right NOW! :smile:
  • tish30930
    tish30930 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ! wanted to eat everything but the cabinets in the kitchen today. There are just days like that! I have 15 pounds to lose...the same 15 that I have lost and gained back about 10 times in the last 15 years. Today Deepak Chopra was on Dr. OZ. There were many things they said today that I am using to keep me motivated. Good Luck!

Jeansgirl: Sounds like me! For about 6 years it's just been 10 pounds, up, down 5-8, then back up... now 10 is 18! Uuugghh! Better now than later! :) I sit here and look at my food journal and freak out that I only have x amount left. And you are right, some days are better than others. This is only day 3 for me and yesterday was a total and complete disaster (wake up at 1AM and eat?!?). But today was better... Well, I'll know for sure when I get up tomorrow and see if I've behaved myself even at 1 in the morning! LOL!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change, my friend. Will there be times in life when you slip in a spoonful of something you shouldn't have or that you really didn't want? Yep. That's LIFE. It's how you HANDLE moments like these that will make you successful. You had 2 spoonfuls of icing. What do you do about it now?

1) Find a way to get in a little exercise. If you're working, go for a walk during your break. If you're at home, then turn the music on and shake your booty! Your kids will love it! Work those calories off, sista!

2) Identify trigger foods. Are there foods in your house that trigger you to binge? Get rid of them! Or have your husband hide them. I have gotten rid of all foods that I can't resist. I pick up a FEW snack foods for the kids and hubby that I know won't get to me. I love love LOVE peppermint patties. The miniature ones are only 50 calories each and I don't over indulge on them. So I keep those handy for when I want a sweet treat. Sometimes I'll eat two after dinner if I have plenty of calories left over. They satisfy my sweet tooth but they don't trigger me to want the entire bag. So do a little research and find a sweet snack that's low in calories that won't trigger you....and enjoy when you need it!

3) Lastly, its your attitude and how you react to the choices you make that will make or break you. Shake it off. Tomorrow is a new day!

Hang in there....and keep your chin up. Like someone above me stated.....at least you didn't eat the entire thing! That's progress! You didn't do anything that many of us haven't done before you. That's why were all here. :)

Hope this helps!
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find myself up in the night too...but it's all that water! That is my focus goal for this first week. 8 plus water glasses per day are making me have a few more potty trips in the night. Water this week/ Fruit next week/Veggies next/ then exercise maybe,,,adding on to my 20 minute brisk walk each morning. I just hope I don"t fade too fast! I am nearly 60!
  • getinshapesarah
    Options
    that is wonderful that you are drinking the water!!!! next time your craving comes (which we all know there is nothing to think about than that craving, at that time!) try and drink a glass of water.. tell yourself you can have the frosting when you are done with another glass of water .. you may fill up and not want it after that. if you still want it, tell yourself after i check my email, facebook, whatever it may be.. then check back.
    or wear a hair band on your wrist and snap it when you want to snack.. sounds dumb. but when you look down at that hair band, its a constant reminder to NOT PUT THAT FROSTING IN YOUR MOUTH! good luck to you and congrats on adding the water, that is HUGE! and so wonderful for your body!
  • StephanieBFree
    StephanieBFree Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys....you are so fantastic. Just the support I needed and such fantastic advice.. First thing I did was go and throw that Betty Crocker Frosting in the garbage. My children use it when they are making cookies with their little easy bake oven (which really not very often). There is absolutely no reason for it to even be in my house.

Onward to tomorrow which will be a better day (sans Betty Crocker). Tomorrow I will be doing a boogie with my kidlets and wearing an elastic band around my wrist.
  • butterfly4939
    Options
    I think most people do need motivation to keep going, the off days make us all feel so guilty. Trust me I have the biggest sweet tooth. I struggle with stayin on track. Like you I do so well for days/weeks then I mess up feel guilty and struggle. But its a new year and a new attitude. We got this girl!! :happy: Tomorrow is a new day, and like someone mentioned (sorry I don't recall who it was) at least it wasnt the whole cake!! and the oreo's. I sure do love oreo's. I try not to keep what I love the most in the house. In fact, my husband just started the grocery shopping. I give him the list of what we need and he goes. Prevents me even getting sweets into the house. It is a change in eating habits and for most of us it will be a struggle. Keep your chin up and keep moving. One little slide of some choc won't hurt. Keep up the awesome work!! Best of luck. Add me if you'd like :smile: we all need all the motivation and support we can get!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    First, be proud every moment that you've made a commitment and taken the first step. No matter what, that puts you in a better place than you were before. Great job drinking water!

Second, a couple spoonfuls of frosting isn't going to doom you. Don't make it a bigger deal than it is. Just work it off!

Last, but not least, learn from it! Failure (or in this case, a very minor lapse) is always much more important to your goals than success, because you have a lot more opportunities to learn from mistakes.

Stay strong and you will succeed!