Please tell me this is possible?

Options
I am 37 and very overweight, I am currently 225 on a 5 foot 5 frame. I have been overweight for years now and I long to lose the weight but I get very disheartened. Partly because the process will take so long and I don't trust myself to keep it up and partly because I am scared that even if I lose weight my body is ruined anyway and I'll be left with a slimmer but mis-shapen body with loose skin and stretchmarks. I know I need to lose the weight for my health but like most people the my main motivation is to look good but I fear that if I think can look cute ever again I am kidding myself on.

I have some pictures I took tonight they are me in my underwear so if you are squemish then please don't click (they are not graphic though)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45816857@N07/14214673172/in/photostream/

If you do look at them, please tell me what you think I can do, if my goal of getting down to 140lbs and getting a reasonable body back are at all possible and any tips on what I can do to get there.

Thank you so much!

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Do you want to continue being fat and feeling this way? If not, make the commitment. It will be hard, and it's possible you will have some loose skin, it's going to take a long time, but really what are your options. I don't mean to be harsh, but there are only 2 choices here.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and very overweight, I am currently 225 on a 5 foot 5 frame. I have been overweight for years now and I long to lose the weight but I get very disheartened. Partly because the process will take so long and I don't trust myself to keep it up and partly because I am scared that even if I lose weight my body is ruined anyway and I'll be left with a slimmer but mis-shapen body with loose skin and stretchmarks. I know I need to lose the weight for my health but like most people the my main motivation is to look good but I fear that if I think can look cute ever again I am kidding myself on.

I have some pictures I took tonight they are me in my underwear so if you are squemish then please don't click (they are not graphic though)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45816857@N07/14214673172/in/photostream/

If you do look at them, please tell me what you think I can do, if my goal of getting down to 140lbs and getting a reasonable body back are at all possible and any tips on what I can do to get there.

Thank you so much!

Honestly, at 225, you aren't mega overweight. Go troll the success forums. People have journeyed to onederland from much farther than your starting point. Work on small steps at a time. You'll get there. It won't always be easy, but stranger things have come true. You know it's possible, and if you take care of yourself, your self esteem should follow slowly during the process. There's a reason so many people talk about lifestyle changes as opposed to short term diet culture and think progress akin to transformation.
  • veaghan
    veaghan Posts: 4
    Options
    I think it would be best for you to go to a trainer who can put you on a fitness plan suitable for your abilities and help you in person to figure out how to alter your eating habits to get you to a healthier you.

You're already on your way and I believe you will be able to look how you want to look with enough motivation. Some small things I have done to help me keep motivated are following different health and fitness blogs, watching lots of food documentaries so that I can become more educated about what I am putting into my body (Food Matters, Forks Over Knives, etc on Netflix), joined a gym, and started going to classes that they have open for everyone.

Remember the small things do count, like going for a 30 minute walk to the park a few times a day, or taking your dog on a walk. Start small and work your way up.

You can do it!
  • KateVega77
    KateVega77 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a real issue accepting the possibility of loose skin it fills me with such horror that often I think I would rather be fat. I know that is stupid and that I need to lose weight for my health but its just this massive mental and emotional block for me.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and 5'5" and I could have written this post 2 years ago when I started losing weight.

These links should help.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As long as you already understand that these things dont happen over night its extremely possible. Skin elasticity and age are some of the things that will dictate whether of not you will end up with loose skin, but you can help it along by staying hydrated and not crash dieting to lose a lot of weight too quickly. This community can be extremely helpful when it wants to be , read some success stories ask some questions, and embrace a new life. There is plenty of motivation to go around.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible. As someone else said, go read the Success Stories. Read them every day. They are wonderful for motivation, encouragement, and advice.

Try not to focus on the future so much. It is making you anxious so that you want to stand still. Take it day by day and just focus on the positive. Again, read the Success Stories.

You don't have to lose weight fast. Think about it--lose 20lbs a year and you will be your goal in a few years. That's about 1.5lbs a month. Totally doable.

On another note--you need a new bra. That one does not fit at all. A bra should never ride up like that in the back. You need to get properly fitted and you will immediately look and feel so much better.
  • KateVega77
    Options
    I am unemployed at the moment so I can't afford a trainer although I can get access to my local gym (government subsidy for those on benefits makes it cheaper). However personal training is not covered and is very expensive. I am not so fit right now so mostly I have just been going (when I do go) and walking on the treadmill up hill and using the cross trainer in my fat burning heart rate zone.
  • wildb1
    wildb1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is possible. My 48 year old wife was at 185 on a 5 foot 4 frame. She now weighs 142. She still struggles with her weight she would like to get to 135 and has not been able to lose those last few pounds.

She has stretchmarks, (She also had two children) but know loose skin. I think I was motivated to write because your profile reminded me of hers.

My tips would be:

1) Exercise (Don't over-do it. My wife would walk to far to fast and have injuries. Just do something everyday and build up over time)
    2) Support (Find someone who will support you, I needed help to get out of bed some mornings.)
    2) Love yourself (Love yourself on your good days, Love yourself on your bad days)
    3) Have people around you who love you just as you are.

I'm not sure if you need these tips. But I know I need to hear the last two everyday.

Blessings to you.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started at 200lb and 5"3. Now down to around 135lb and no major issues with loose skin. E.g. Stomach looking fine, though still a work in progress lol. I guess you won't know till you try. I was also a bit worried at the start whether my body could recover from the abuse I had put it under. Glad to say we humans are resilient beings and can get through most things entact :wink:

Edit to add: start doing some form of strength/resistance training. I swear you will see faster better results that way. I do 2 or 3 days of weights in the gym, but there are other options. I have lost only around 5lb the last 3 months but gone down a size in clothes.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Read the links I provided. They will help. Add some strength training. Watch lots of videos on youtube showing form.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Time will pass whether you're losing weight or not. Of course it's going to take a while but start now so you're not on here in May 2015 wishing you had started 12 months ago. :)

Looking at your pictures, I do not think you are going to have a huge problem with loose skin. Lose the weight nice and steadily, and do both cardio and strength training along the way and you should be fine.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have a real issue accepting the possibility of loose skin it fills me with such horror that often I think I would rather be fat. I know that is stupid and that I need to lose weight for my health but its just this massive mental and emotional block for me.

Then strength train as you lose the weight. Lose slowly so you can hold onto as much muscle as possible while losing fat. If you do those two things it will greatly diminish that risk.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Trust yourself enough to keep going anyway.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Then strength train as you lose the weight. Lose slowly so you can hold onto as much muscle as possible while losing fat. If you do those two things it will greatly diminish that risk.

I wish there was a like button. 100% agree. Glad I found these forums and got the same advice early on :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I came across this quote about motivation the other day. I love it.

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Love that quote above ^^ from Grace

I'm gonna throw another one at you....

A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Time is going to pass anyway. Eat at a deficit, do some cardio, lift heavy things.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I came across this quote about motivation the other day. I love it.

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

I think this is a fabulous quote, OP I hope it brings you some inspiration and motivation.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Love that quote above ^^ from Grace

I'm gonna throw another one at you....

A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Time is going to pass anyway. Eat at a deficit, do some cardio, lift heavy things.

And this one too! Really gives you something to think about....
  • KateVega77
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies they ar very much appreciated. Its difficult to get my head round but the idea of losing slowly and doing strength training does make sense. How long it will take is scary for me but I do understand that if I never start I can never get to my goal. It just seems so impossible to me that I could keep up my focus for so long, or at least I've had great weeks, months in the past where I am doing well but then something happens, will power fades and so on. I know these are pathetic excuses.

Anyway thank you again for all your advice, I will check out the links!