Food Prep Sunday

Options
MelisMusing
MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
Does anyone else do this? I find that making some food items for the week ahead of time totally saves me when I get home at the end of the day and for packing lunches. My plan today:

Boil eggs
Cook up some turkey meatballs
Chop up veggies for roasting/quick sauteeing/salads
Make a fruit salad
Cook up some chicken for shredding
Cook up some hamburger patties
Bake a small batch of paleo muffins (recipe here: http://paleomg.com/apple-cinnamon-muffins/)
Spiralize some zucchini and sweet potato for go to noodles.

Do you prep? What do you make?

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I usually cut up carrots,

some weeks I make a large quinoa salad to portion out,

a few times I have cooked up some chicken for salads and meals.

I also like to make up a batch of oatmeal for the week as well. I have a microwave at work so I can heat it up for breakfast when I get there.
  • Cozumel2014
    Cozumel2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do!! mainly for my work week since I tend to work late. I take enough for lunch and dinner. this helps cut down on my late night dinners.

I usually cook some type of meat, enough for 3-4 days. I shred and dice for my salads so it looks different. I also cook without to much seasoning then on the day I'm going to use it - I head it up with a sauce. Rotating the sauce with the light or no seasoning helps keep my salads fresh. it also helps me control the portions this way, a tablespoon of BBQ sauce goes along way with 4 oz shredded meat of any kind!

Also I wash, chop, shred, cut into strips all my veggies for salads, munchies and sauteeing

Cheese - slice and layer into .5 oz servings for salad and my eggs...

Do you use fresh herbs? I chop up spinach, basil, dill, rosemary, mint and a few others... I like to mix in my salads for taste and cut down on dressings.

Smoothies: I make ice cubes. I have that is all greens, another is all berries, another is tropical like pineapple, banana, papaya etc. Tthis way I can mix and match the ice cubes for size and flavor and none of my fresh fruit goes to waste.
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    @ Cozumel- YUM! I don't prep fresh herbs but I think I have to now!! Great idea. :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,845 Member
    Options
    I do it on Saturday. Wash all my veggies up. Prepack veggie snack packs. Grill hamburgers and chicken. If it's ready to go, I'll use it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I always cook something in the slow cooker either for my work lunches for the week or something for dinner one night like a curry or casserole etc..
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I make soup every Sunday to bring to work during the week.

I sometimes make up something like a lasagne, or a baked mac and cheese, portion it out and freeze the portions. Makes for nice quick dinners during the week!
  • connietak
    connietak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    do you have a good recipe for your turkey meatballs? I find ground turkey so bland. would love your recipe. thanks!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I do! This weekend was:

Turkey and Veg Soup
    Bolognaise
    Enchiladas

I always make something for lunches for me, something for lunches for my husband and something to stick in the freezer for "can't be bothered" dinners :)
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yup but this week I did it Saturday because we had an event today. I mean some sweet and sour chicken breasts, browned some ground turkey with peppers, made beef meatballs with onions and cilantro. I also cooked some green beans and summer squash and hard boiled some eggs. All I have left to do is cook up some sweet potatoes.
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this last week. Last week I made homemade yogurt, homemade juice, and homemade granola. I took pre- portioned meals out of the freezer to last me the week, and portioned out some more stuff to go in the freezer. I also made bone broth to freeze and use for making beans or rice. I took the time to plan out workouts and a rough estimate of what I was going to eat each day. This week I've done some of the planning, but since I am not feeling well (allergies), I only got around to making one thing which was sweet bread using the pulp from my homemade juices last week (froze it). Once the bread was done I portioned it into snack size ziplocs so that I know how much I can have every day. I'll probably batch cook some rice later on after I rest.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes, I sure do that on Mondays!
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I make turkey meatballs too. I always use oatmeal in place of the bread crumbs and it really helps the turkey stay moist. The other thing I use is fresh or dried parsley and red pepper flakes. They've always turned out wonderful.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the smoothie ice cube idea! I think i will steal that!
  • adonaipraise
    Options
    Does anyone else do this? I find that making some food items for the week ahead of time totally saves me when I get home at the end of the day and for packing lunches. My plan today:

Boil eggs
    Cook up some turkey meatballs
    Chop up veggies for roasting/quick sauteeing/salads
    Make a fruit salad
    Cook up some chicken for shredding
    Cook up some hamburger patties
    Bake a small batch of paleo muffins (recipe here: http://paleomg.com/apple-cinnamon-muffins/)
    Spiralize some zucchini and sweet potato for go to noodles.

Do you prep? What do you make?

I usually cook for the week. Rice, beans, make a huge salad, home made hummus, etc. Makes it so much easier when I'm going to work to just grab something and go. Most of the time I just put it in containers the night before work. The only thing I usually do the night before is green juicing or smoothie
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I sure do. I try and vary it between soups, chilli, salads etc.

This weekend I did something a little different and made up a big batch of oven roasted vegetables, fried off some chicken breast and some chorizo, then mix it all in with some wholemeal cous cous. Took less than an hour all up and I have four lunches worth of food :)
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I do this too. It makes life sooooo much easier during the week. This week I am not as well prepared as usual, but I made a huge batch of beef fajitas, mini meatloaves, fried up sweet potatoes with sausage for eating with eggs during the week and roasted a bunch of veggies.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I always make a batch of homemade mayo and sometimes either ranch dressing or an oil based dressing for salads too.
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    do you have a good recipe for your turkey meatballs? I find ground turkey so bland. would love your recipe. thanks!

My recipe for meatballs varies, but it usually looks something like this:

1 pkg organic ground turkey
    2 tsp chia seeds
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. sun dried tomatoes, diced fine
    1 tsp. garlic
    1 tsp. basil

I found a variation for an asian spiced recipe, with ginger and garlic and sesame - I can't wait to try that one.
  • skizzerbizkit
    skizzerbizkit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need to start doing this. Hoping to find some good ideas posted in the comments. :)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...

Leftovers from home beat the heck out of daily fresh fast food.

Have you ever made up your weekly salads using canning jars. It really works!