evening cravings

rsonthelake
rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
Its the time of night where I usually graze through the pantry and frig. I'm at my heaviest and have to have the ability to control this.
Any ideas. Thanks!
:smile:

Replies

• I think when I tend to do that is if I'm bored, so I try to find things to do. I also find it helps if I stop and ask myself if I'm actually hungry.
    Good luck!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Well, I'm no expert, but here are a few suggestions that have worked for me:
    1. Identify some things that you *can* have when you have these cravings. For example, in cold weather, a cup of really good herbal tea is my choice. In hot weather, it's a diet A&W on ice.
    2. I just read the other day that you should try to distract yourself for 20 minutes by doing something else--knitting, going for a walk, whatever. This article said that after 20 minutes, the urge to eat should have passed.

Good luck! What's helping me right now is watching the numbers in my food diary!

Coni
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    I'm dealing with that too.
  • Chew gum,( there is new dessert flavors)
    A bowl of cereal ( chocolate special K)
    Paint your fingers and toes.
    Stay on this site and read inspirational blogs
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I always plan out something to have after dinner. Sometimes it is just chocolate milk after a workout, or some light popcorn. Tonight it was fried apples (apples sauteed with a tiny bit of butter and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg). If I don't have something planned out that I *can* have if I get hungry, I end up eating junk.

I also agree with the herbal tea recommendation. And on those nights when you just can't eat anything else or you know you are just bored and not hungry, drink a glass of water, find something to do, brush your teeth...
  • I usually eat 60 calorie/sugar free pudding cups. They are yummy and just enough for the sweet craving. Also a handful of nuts are good. Also brushing your teeth helps because it makes everything taste terrible :o) Good luck!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    I find brushing my teeth to be a great deterrent to evening noshing. So what if it is still and hour or two before bedtime. The minty taste of the toothpaste helps, and the very thought that my teeth are clean makes me want to keep them that way.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Hear here on the distraction. Also warm milk --- filling and not alot of cals and makes you sleepy. Don't like it warm --- drink it cold. chocolate craving? add chocolate protein powder. Also saltines are a fav of mine.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    100 calorie microwave popcorn, eat it slowly!
    Frozen blueberries or grapes.
    Any fruit is better than the "bad stuff"
    large glass of diet ocean spray cran-grape juice, delicious, filling and only 5 cals per 8 oz
    large glass of water
    mini carrots
    ovaltine with skim milk (if you like chocolate milk)

just a few ideas of many.....
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Some things i do:

1. give in for a tiny bit of it, like a bite and put it back. It is enough for me to satisfy the craving but not go over the top.
    2. chewing gum
    3. sit down and asking myself if i am hungry or not, alone that sitting down and thinking takes time so i forget about cravings
    4. distracting myself
    5. Eating nice things like berries, carrots, fruits
    6. eat a low calorie soup or something
    7. drink lots of bubbly water, fills the stomach :)
  • rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    All GREAT ideas, thanks! I did forget that I had an orange on my food tracker, so I was able to eat that. But tomorrow night, I will take alot of these into consideration. Night snacking is a HUGE problem for me, and I have to overcome it if I want to get and keep this weight off. So, again, thanks!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Just wanted to say: I agree with the do your flossing / brushing of teeth for bedtime early in the evening. That works as a great calorie consumption detterent for me (even when I'm not trying to lose weight)!
This discussion has been closed.