Any suggestions for healthy savory snack options??

Options
I'm looking for some savory snack options for work. I don't get much time to eat so I normally have a muesli bar, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and it tends to get a little boring day after day. Also I prefer to make my own foods, rather than buying snacks at the supermarket.

What are some convenient, easy to eat options?? Thanks.

Also, feel free to add me as a friend :smile:

Replies

• JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually take a salad to work with me, I don't know if you have an ebook reader/tablet but the free publication "Salads to Go" by Arnel Ricafranca has an amazing list of salad/dressing recipes you pack in mason jars for later... and once at work all it takes is a fork and a quick shake and voila... can't get more savory!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You could do a piece of whole wheat toast + peanut butter. I leave bread and PB at work all the time. Or try hummus and veggies, nuts, trail mix. . Do you have access to a fridge? You could easily store cheese sticks, cottage cheese, etc.
  • kerrianne86
    kerrianne86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take salad to work for lunch quite a lot as I have a 30 minute lunch break, but I only get 10 minutes for my morning tea. I'm also a super slow eater so it has to be something quick and filling :P

I love the idea of peanut butter on toast, but unfortunately have no access to a toaster :(
  • the_raptor
    the_raptor Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Sun Rice Wholegrain Brown Rice Mini Bites Creepy Cheese and the Devilish Chicken ones too, that I buy from Woolworths Whole Foods section, tho a mate reckons they are no good, too many carbs and such.

Going by the nutrition info on the packet tho, i rekon they are pretty healthy snack, better than a lot of other junk food anyhow.

Im also thinking of using protein bars too, bought some from the health foods/fitness supplments section in woolworths i think, cant remember the brand of them, but they were mint choc in a5-pack and were great. u need to be exercising at least 30 mins per dya if u eat protein bars tho, as they give extra energy and protein, which goes to waste if you dont use that energy!
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love taking baby carrots covered in salsa, or red pepper dip, or light ranch dressing. SO good.
  • trueboo
    trueboo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like the laughing cow light triangle cheeses, sometimes with a few soup or oyster crackers, or baby carrots, or celery. I like a small piece of cold salmon with one of those little cheeses and with or without crackers. I too like savory! Or sometimes even an ounce or two of roasted chicken from the grocery store, sprinkled lightly with salt, and pick at it as a snack! A cold kosher pickle is 5 calories and full of flavor! I don't watch my sodium too closely, I don't have blood pressure issues or anything, so some of my savories are a bit high in sodium. Oh, also romaine lettuce leaves dipped in baba ghanoush (middle eastern eggplant dip, read labels, or make your own, some are very low calorie, others are americanized and quite mayonnaise i.e high calorie.) Those leaves with some chicken and dip (also hummus is great) These are all savory snacks I enjoy. :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Salted kale chips or roasted chickpeas make good snacks.
  • powerpigeon
    powerpigeon Posts: 46
    Options
    I usually take fruit to work, string cheese, and carrots to dip in hummus. You can cut up veg into good dipping sizes, and I use one of those mini jam jars to take a small portion of hummus. You could do with that with whatever dips you like; salsa, hummus, ranch dressing...
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Breadsticks/pitta strips with hummus.
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky, done right is both low-fat, low-cal, and very flavorful.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for quick and make you feel full, the market has bags of "steamed veg". I purchase the broccoli, which is a full 4 servings, 100 cal, 5 min microwave/2 min eat, super nutritious. I usually top mine with hot sauce. Other than that, I snack on bananas all day long because they're filling, inexpensive, and nutritious.
  • AceCC86
    AceCC86 Posts: 71
    Options
    Kale chips and a glass of water can be incredibly filling and satisfying. Vermont Kale Chips are my favorite (www.vermontkalechips.com), but you can always make your own and bring them to work.

A rice cake with Laughing Cow cheese and a slice of turkey or roast beef has saved me from diving head-first into a bag of Cheetos on multiple occasions.

I've also been enjoying hummus or baba ganouj with pretzel thins a lot lately at work -- just pre-portion so you don't go overboard!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    1 can tuna
    2 tbsp favorite salsa
    use to top a serving of your favorite crackers

1 tbsp sabra supremely spicy hummus
    1 tbsp whipped cream cheese
    .5 tbsp light sour cream
    Use pretzels, carrots and/or cucumbers to dip

2 hardboiled eggs
    dip in grey pupon mustard

Brad's Raw Kale chips in Nacho cheese

Mesquite BBQ baked crispy chickpeas

Those are a few of my go-tos.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley Ranch packets -- mix them with plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and dip sliced up bell peppers and carrots in it.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i just got these kind bars called Strong. oh yea. 210 calories and filling. :)