Extra long hair and working out?

Options
yungibear
yungibear Posts: 138 Member
I hope there are other people here with extra long hair! I've been growing my hair for about 3~4 years now, and it's almost down to my tailbone, at the moment. It's on the thick and straight side and I still plan on growing it. Lately, it's been bothering me as the weather is getting hotter, and I'm increasing the intensity of my exercises.

I used to do just fine with a ponytail and headband. Now, however, whenever I do something, like mountain climbers, my ponytail will fly forward and I'll get a clingy mess on my face (yay for sweat!) and I'll be eating my own hair. Does anyone have an easy, yet secure way of getting hair our of their face when they work out? I prefer not to use too many pins because I'm rather clumsy, but I'll try, if it means not getting distracted by my runaway hair while I work out.

Replies

• Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Put it in a braid?
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to for when I'm doing anything strenuous and need to keep my hair out of my face and off my neck.

1) Put hair up into a high pony-tail
    2) braid hair
    3) wrap braid around base of pony tail and secure with two hair ties
    4) use a bandana or headband to keep fly-aways from bothering me
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I have long and thick hair as well. What I do to keep my hair away is put my long black locks hair in a pony tail then I use a big hairclip and clip my hair in a bun.
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have not cut mine in over 5 years, hooray for long hair!!
    Bun it up girl!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a sock bun? It'll keep it in place and out of your face!
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not all that creative when it comes to my hair, haha!

I haven't considered putting a braid into a bun before. It sounds like it might be more successful than a regular bun, for me! Back when I was running track in high school, I would attempt to keep it in a bun, but it'd just bounce out within a matter of 5 minutes, so I think my hair is too heavy for just a bun.

I'll also try giving the sock bun a try! I've only ever done it once, but it felt pretty secure when I did it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Put it in a braid?
    This. My DW has long hair and braids it. No problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Effalunt
    Effalunt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My hair is very long and heavy, and I make a ponytail, then build a bun. I swear by Spin Pins: three of the regular size ones will hold my hair through any workout, including swimming.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Heavy, thick, curly waist length hair here and I second (third? fourth?) the braid then bun. Don't use pins for the bun, just wrap it around then wrap one or two more hairbands around it.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    I have heavy, thick, curly, waist length, dark hair. Instead of putting it in a simple ponytail, either put it in a low braid (if you're dancing or turning it's going to hit you in the face) or put the ponytail into a braid and possibly put that in a bun and SECURE IT WITH HAIRTIES. At least with curly hair, pins can help keep it in place but never keep it up alone.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Put it in a bun, of course! That's what I did when my hair was super long and I still do it now even though it's a bit shorter (but still super thick).
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to for when I'm doing anything strenuous and need to keep my hair out of my face and off my neck.

2) braid hair

Just like the others said, that'll keep long hair out of your face and the back of your neck.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

2) braid hair
    That's what I do too. Works even if you don't braid it.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Wow so many ladies with super long hair! Jealous!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I usually can't do high ponytails when working out because it makes lying on my back (e.g., benching and ground work) more difficult. Here's what I've been doing lately...
    1. Braid a front section on each side to catch all the wispy bits that a ponytail doesn't.
    2. Pull the braids back with the rest of the hair into a ponytail at the base of the neck.
    3. Release the braids up to the ponytail elastic.
    4. Braid the ponytail.
    5. Bundle up the big braid with a spring clip.

That keeps it out of my face and off my neck, and it's quick and easy to remove the clip for benching, sit-ups, or groundwork. Bonus, if I do it when it's wet, it often stays damp enough to keep me a little cooler - and it looks fresh (although a bit poofy) when I take it down afterward.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My hair is down to the top of my thighs - just long enough to sit on. Google the "Lazy Wrap Bun". Quick and simple, and it's very secure. Mine never falls out or gets loose, even through boot camp classes and karate training. If I'm working on the bench, it's usually flat enough to not bother me too much, but sometimes I just use a long braid instead so I can lay on it. But I definitely prefer the bun.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't like a full bun as it bugs me when I'm doing floor work. I usually just tie it in a ponytail but on the last pull through I only pull my hair through half way so I get a loop of hair and a small ponytail.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Mine's Classic length, and I do a ponytail with a large ponytail elastic and then bun it--secured with two claw clips/linzi clips or spin pins. For weight lifting, I go for a plain braid, either straight down the back or to the side. A ponytail gets in the way of the bench. If anyone knows where to get some good linzi clips--please let me know:)
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    trying to grow my hair back out.i like the short hair but dont work with running,swimming or hold up on beach.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually can't do high ponytails when working out because it makes lying on my back (e.g., benching and ground work) more difficult. Here's what I've been doing lately...
    1. Braid a front section on each side to catch all the wispy bits that a ponytail doesn't.
    2. Pull the braids back with the rest of the hair into a ponytail at the base of the neck.
    3. Release the braids up to the ponytail elastic.
    4. Braid the ponytail.
    5. Bundle up the big braid with a spring clip.

That keeps it out of my face and off my neck, and it's quick and easy to remove the clip for benching, sit-ups, or groundwork. Bonus, if I do it when it's wet, it often stays damp enough to keep me a little cooler - and it looks fresh (although a bit poofy) when I take it down afterward.

I like the sound of that, will try that for my next yoga session.