Marching towards my Appalachian Trail Hike thru.

Options
I am training with a purpose. Hiking the Appalachian Trail...gonna be long road. Both the training and the trail. Seeking friends for motivation and communication.

Replies

• Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I've hiked pieces of the trail, but never in my wildest imagination the whole thing. You go!
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your hike! I am sure you will have a wonderful experience.

My father hiked the AT in 2000. His stories and pictures are priceless. BTW, the hike is a great weight-loss/fitness tool, he lost 50 pounds and ended the hike fitter than most 20 year olds (he was 63 at the time).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that would be awesome. I just hope when I finally have time for it, I'm not too old to do it. Best of luck with your training and hike!
  • alexhuz
    alexhuz Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, I am also planning to hike the AT. Not sure when exactly but hopefully in the next year. I'm trying to get my 'trail legs' so to speak, if you start a hike like that out of shape your chances of injury are much higher. But I'm recovering from a back injury and so have not really exercised in a couple of months and am woefully out of shape. Any tips for starting out getting in hiking shape?
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will get you in shape for hiking is.... wait for it.... hiking.

Obviously, taking weight off and increasing your stamina with cardio and weights will help, but the best way to get in shape for hiking is to just do it. Start off gentle and slow and increase you elevation gain/loss and distance as you get stronger. And remember - the mountains will be there tomorrow. If you realize you've taken a bit more challenge than you are ready for - it is ok to turn around. Sometimes, turning around is what separates those of us who keep hiking from those who find themselves on the evening news.
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My friend and I hiked parts of the AT. We did all of Md and Va and most of Pa.
    And parts here and there. I envy you for being able to do the whole thing. In mid
    June we see alot of thru hikers here. When we go on picnics near the trail we take
    extra food with us and give the hikers our leftovers. They love the fried chicken.
    You will find alot of really helpful trail angels along the way. Good luck, Do you
    have an idea when? I have several friends who did the thru hike. They had some
    awesome story's to tell.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've hiked part of it in NC, but it would be awesome to do the whole thing. The AT is a truly a national treasure.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm training to do it as well! But my hike won't be until 2016 at the earliest. Are you going SOBO this year or planning to start your thru another year?
  • Angylisis78
    Angylisis78 Posts: 32
    Options
    I am training with a purpose. Hiking the Appalachian Trail...gonna be long road. Both the training and the trail. Seeking friends for motivation and communication.

I just want to say:

OMGOMGOMG! i'm going to have to live vicariously through you! My bucket list has "hike the App Trail from start to finish" on it, but not possible right now as I have four small kids that can't be left for 6-8 months without parents LOL.

Good luck and make sure to take lots of pics so we can see! I'm so excited for you!
  • Angylisis78
    Angylisis78 Posts: 32
    Options
    The only thing that will get you in shape for hiking is.... wait for it.... hiking.

Obviously, taking weight off and increasing your stamina with cardio and weights will help, but the best way to get in shape for hiking is to just do it. Start off gentle and slow and increase you elevation gain/loss and distance as you get stronger. And remember - the mountains will be there tomorrow. If you realize you've taken a bit more challenge than you are ready for - it is ok to turn around. Sometimes, turning around is what separates those of us who keep hiking from those who find themselves on the evening news.

Quoted for truth.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that would be awesome. I just hope when I finally have time for it, I'm not too old to do it. Best of luck with your training and hike!

Same! Best of luck to you - I would love to follow your progress. Please consider doing a website/blog :flowerforyou:
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are you hiking the whole trail? Will you be passing through the New River Valley area in Virginia? We live relatively close to the NRV and the trail! We love to see the hikers :smile:
  • IvanCasillas
    IvanCasillas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good luck! This is on my bucket list. I always say I don't have enough time but I need to make the time :smile:
  • haydav49
    haydav49 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've hiked pieces in NC, VA, GA, TN. Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hiked it for 22 days in the 90's - vast and lonely (in a good way).

How much hiking have you done? How are you prepping?
    Are you really planning to spend 5+ months on the AT?

Because with that kind of time, I'd personally prefer to be on the Trans-Himalaya Trail. But that's just me, the AT is beautiful.
    Have fun!
  • Goldeneyes19
    Options
    I've always wanted to do it! Which part? When? So excited for you!!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would love to do that! It sounds awesome!! If you needed help, I live right next to the trail and can take you into town or drop off supplies (Delaware Water Gap, PA). I meet thru hikers all the time when I hike small parts of it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did that. I hope you aren't doing it alone. Good luck!