How do you divide your calories throughout the day?

Options
grazer432
grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
I never really give that much thought to this. I never consciously decide when I am going to eat or how much. I am working from home at the moment so I just make a meal when I'm hungry, eat it and then log it and find out how many calories it was. If it ends up being really high I'd probably try to not overdo it at the next meal. Most meals end up being similar numbers of calories anyway though.

Anyway, do you consciously plan how many calories to eat per meal? I have been thinking that maybe I should eat more earlier in the day to prevent eating the bigger dinners I have currently... It seems like I usually eat 500-600 calories at lunch and then 800-1000 at dinner at present.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How do you divide your calories throughout the day?

I divide mine with a fork. Maybe with a knife if I'm having a steak. Beyond that it really doesn't matter.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How do you divide your calories throughout the day?

I divide mine with a fork. Maybe with a knife if I'm having a steak. Beyond that it really doesn't matter.

I find using a spoon helps me shovel more calories in...
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I like heavier dinner with dessert - I'll usually eat smaller breakfast and lunches so I have a lot of calories left over.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories earlier in the day. I find it quite easy to eat a very light dinner, and I need the energy during the day more than I do at night.

Speaking of meal time, I will leave this interesting study link here. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357955

BACKGROUND:

There is emerging literature demonstrating a relationship between the timing of feeding and weight regulation in animals. However, whether the timing of food intake influences the success of a weight-loss diet in humans is unknown.Objective:To evaluate the role of food timing in weight-loss effectiveness in a sample of 420 individuals who followed a 20-week weight-loss treatment.
    METHODS:

Participants (49.5% female subjects; age (mean ± s.d.): 42 ± 11 years; BMI: 31.4 ± 5.4 kg m(-2)) were grouped in early eaters and late eaters, according to the timing of the main meal (lunch in this Mediterranean population). 51% of the subjects were early eaters and 49% were late eaters (lunch time before and after 1500 hours, respectively), energy intake and expenditure, appetite hormones, CLOCK genotype, sleep duration and chronotype were studied.

RESULTS:

Late lunch eaters lost less weight and displayed a slower weight-loss rate during the 20 weeks of treatment than early eaters (P=0.002). Surprisingly, energy intake, dietary composition, estimated energy expenditure, appetite hormones and sleep duration was similar between both groups. Nevertheless, late eaters were more evening types, had less energetic breakfasts and skipped breakfast more frequently that early eaters (all; P<0.05). CLOCK rs4580704 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) associated with the timing of the main meal (P=0.015) with a higher frequency of minor allele (C) carriers among the late eaters (P=0.041). Neither sleep duration, nor CLOCK SNPs or morning/evening chronotype was independently associated with weight loss (all; P>0.05).

CONCLUSIONS:

Eating late may influence the success of weight-loss therapy. Novel therapeutic strategies should incorporate not only the caloric intake and macronutrient distribution - as is classically done - but also the timing of food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I prelog everything. Usually I prefer a big breakfast, small lunch, medium sized dinner and plenty of calories for after-dinner snacking. But if I know I'm going out to dinner I leave more calories for that and have a small breakfast and maybe just a snack around lunchtime. Divide up your calories in a way that best allows you to meet your goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on when I'm hungry or not, honestly!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My standard breakfast is around 300-ish calories. Then I just eat lunch. And whatever is left, I eat for dinner. Or if I know I'll be going out for a big dinner, I'll plan a smaller lunch. But usually it's somewhere around 300 breakfast, 600 lunch, 600 dinner. Or 300, 500, 700. Roughly.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Usually goes like this:
    Breakfast 300 - 400 calories
    Lunch 800ish calories
    Dinner 300 - 400 calories.

Lunch is almost always my biggest meal. Sometimes I skip dinner because I'm still full from having such a huge lunch.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Usually goes like this:
    Breakfast 300 - 400 calories
    Lunch 800ish calories
    Dinner 300 - 400 calories.

Lunch is almost always my biggest meal. Sometimes I skip dinner because I'm still full from having such a huge lunch.

Mine is similar to this but I save a few calories for my Brazil nuts (100 calories) and tea with skim milk after dinner.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories earlier in the day. I find it quite easy to eat a very light dinner, and I need the energy during the day more than I do at night.

Speaking of meal time, I will leave this interesting study link here. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357955

BACKGROUND:

There is emerging literature demonstrating a relationship between the timing of feeding and weight regulation in animals. However, whether the timing of food intake influences the success of a weight-loss diet in humans is unknown.Objective:To evaluate the role of food timing in weight-loss effectiveness in a sample of 420 individuals who followed a 20-week weight-loss treatment.
    METHODS:

Participants (49.5% female subjects; age (mean ± s.d.): 42 ± 11 years; BMI: 31.4 ± 5.4 kg m(-2)) were grouped in early eaters and late eaters, according to the timing of the main meal (lunch in this Mediterranean population). 51% of the subjects were early eaters and 49% were late eaters (lunch time before and after 1500 hours, respectively), energy intake and expenditure, appetite hormones, CLOCK genotype, sleep duration and chronotype were studied.

RESULTS:

Late lunch eaters lost less weight and displayed a slower weight-loss rate during the 20 weeks of treatment than early eaters (P=0.002). Surprisingly, energy intake, dietary composition, estimated energy expenditure, appetite hormones and sleep duration was similar between both groups. Nevertheless, late eaters were more evening types, had less energetic breakfasts and skipped breakfast more frequently that early eaters (all; P<0.05). CLOCK rs4580704 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) associated with the timing of the main meal (P=0.015) with a higher frequency of minor allele (C) carriers among the late eaters (P=0.041). Neither sleep duration, nor CLOCK SNPs or morning/evening chronotype was independently associated with weight loss (all; P>0.05).

CONCLUSIONS:

Eating late may influence the success of weight-loss therapy. Novel therapeutic strategies should incorporate not only the caloric intake and macronutrient distribution - as is classically done - but also the timing of food.

Interesting read, however, when a study is performed where the subjects keep an individual food diary instead of consuming meals under strict caloric control, this leaves massive room for under-reporting, especially in a 20 week study.

Energy intake before and during treatment

To evaluate habitual dietary intake before the treatment, intake was determined by the “24-h dietary recall”, including 24-h recalls of food intake from all days of the week in the total population. Dietary intake during the treatment was assessed by the “7-day dietary record” measuring and weighting food daily. Subjects recorded their dietary intakes for 7 days, every week during the whole intervention. Patients also recorded the time of day that each meal (e.g., breakfast, lunch, and dinner) was eaten. After excluding atypical weeks due to vacations, sickness etc. we randomly selected one week from the total treatment in each patient to analyze data in order to cover the 20 weeks of treatment and to obtain an overall picture of the dietary intake along the whole weigh loss period. Importantly, patients indicated in each weekly notebook whether or not this was a usual week, and after double checking by the nutritionist, a representative week was chosen for the study.

Also, without said control (or any dietary control for that matter) it is more likely that an obese individual who fasts early then consumes the majority of meals late will overeat. While there was no significant statistical difference between leptin and ghrelin levels between the groups in the study, it has been theorized that obese individuals are leptin resistant.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17212793

Lastly, according to the data and standard deviations, 1kg weight loss difference between the lunch group and breakfast/dinner groups hardly seems to be significant. Caloric deficit reigns supreme over meal timing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a back end/late eater- I don't start eating till 11 AM usually. So I have 3-500 calories between 11 and 1 and then I have 300 calorie snack around 4 and then I have a large dinner around 11 PM.
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to the same types of food everyday and even pre-log most everything so I know exactly what calories and protein/fat/carbs I’m going to be getting.

Breakfast – 380
    Elevenses – 700
    Lunch (1:30pm) – 400
    Pre-working (4:30pm) – 330
    Post workout – 480
    I also eat 160 cal worth of nuts usually around mid afternoon (3:30ish).
  • grazer432
    grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It hadn't really thought about it before, but I tend to work out in the evenings so I guess that eating more calories at dinner may not be a bad idea.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly trying to get my meals carved up into four 400 - 500 calorie chunks throughout the day. When not being healthy, I stacked nearly all of my calories into the last part of the day so now I'm just trying to pace myself a bit better. I don't know if I buy the whole eating earlier is better thing but I do know that when I am laying in bed bored and restless I am probably not at my peak dietary decision making point.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Breakfast – 380
    Elevenses – 700
    Post workout – 480

Heh... Elevenses always makes me think of Lord of the Rings.... afternoontea... dinner... SUPPER?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I lean more towards the "Eat breakfast like a king (usually 400-500 calories), lunch like a prince (300-400 calories), dinner like a pauper (200-300 calories)" plan, with a couple 100ish calorie snacks thrown if needed. Up to a couple years ago, breakfast was unthinkable to me, but it's pretty much routine now.
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Breakfast – 380
    Elevenses – 700
    Post workout – 480

Heh... Elevenses always makes me think of Lord of the Rings.... afternoontea... dinner... SUPPER?

That is where I borrowed it from. I just wished I worked out in the morning so I could eat both Breakfast and Second Breakfast (along with of course Elevenses, Luncheon, Afternoon Tea, Dinner AND Supper).