BEER

Options
Okay, I like to drink Michelob Ultra here and there (I know, yuck right? Has some low calories going on though and is better than the other low cal beers I think), and I wanted some advice on when I track those calories from having a few if they count as being a "high" calorie verses a bad food "high" calorie. I know that beer is empty calories and really isn't good for one to consume; however, I'm going to drink some brews here and there and wonder if it messes up my calorie intake even if I don't go over my calories... =)

Replies

• stampede55
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you're tracking your intake and still staying under your calorie count I would say drink up. Other people might not agree with this, but so what. If you can't enjoy life a little then it's not worth living. A couple of Mich Ultras aren't going to make that much of a difference.

I don't know if they have these where you live, but here in KY they sell Mich Ultra Amber.....rather tasty considering the Ultra label. Cheers!
  • teracallaway1
    teracallaway1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    all things in moderation. i like capt and caffine free diet coke
  • glloyd1234
    glloyd1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink heinken light and michelob ultra but I keep my calorie count . I exercise 2-3 times a week. I been losing weight just fine. I agree as long as you keep up with your calorie count.
  • life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i look fwd to seeing what ppl say:
    i tend to lose more when i go out drinking with friends. other wise id be at home doing nothing. i think if you stay in your calories and you dont binge drink youll be fine. you have to learn to lose doing the things you like to do, if you cut it out to lose youll re gain later.
    my main problem with drinking is the next day i want juice lots and lots of high cal juice, so now i drink water when drinking and the next day and it seems to help. i also drink captain morgan and diet coke only 60 calories.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie - like you said, there are some good ones and bad ones. HOWEVER, the "magic" formula really is calories in needs to be lowering than calories out. So, as long as you're under your calorie tally, you should feel good about having the beers.

A couple things to consider:
    - As long as you're under your calories, you're golden. However, the beer might trigger you to crave other food items. Especially anything you used to eat while drinking. (This is why I can't drink Diet Coke. I have one, and I immediately want something salty like fries or pizza)
    - You may retain some water tomorrow. It'll show on the scale on the gain, but will only be temporary. To help offset this, drink extra water today and tomorrow.
    - The calories are empty, so you may end up being hungry. I think that's the real danger ... if you spend your cals on the beer, it's less to put toward food. But it's a trade-off. As long as you can keep it in check otherwise, ENJOY!:drinker:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you're tracking your intake and still staying under your calorie count I would say drink up. Other people might not agree with this, but so what. If you can't enjoy life a little then it's not worth living. A couple of Mich Ultras aren't going to make that much of a difference.

I don't know if they have these where you live, but here in KY they sell Mich Ultra Amber.....rather tasty considering the Ultra label. Cheers!

Haha! Your rock, AND LOVE your profile pic! Thanks for the advice, cheers!
  • SunLove8
    Options

I mean't, you rock ;)
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I drink heinken light and michelob ultra but I keep my calorie count . I exercise 2-3 times a week. I been losing weight just fine. I agree as long as you keep up with your calorie count.

Yeah, I've been losing weight too. Just wondering if it was going to come and bite me in the butt (literally, hahaha)!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie - like you said, there are some good ones and bad ones. HOWEVER, the "magic" formula really is calories in needs to be lowering than calories out. So, as long as you're under your calorie tally, you should feel good about having the beers.

A couple things to consider:
    - As long as you're under your calories, you're golden. However, the beer might trigger you to crave other food items. Especially anything you used to eat while drinking. (This is why I can't drink Diet Coke. I have one, and I immediately want something salty like fries or pizza)
    - You may retain some water tomorrow. It'll show on the scale on the gain, but will only be temporary. To help offset this, drink extra water today and tomorrow.
    - The calories are empty, so you may end up being hungry. I think that's the real danger ... if you spend your cals on the beer, it's less to put toward food. But it's a trade-off. As long as you can keep it in check otherwise, ENJOY!:drinker:

Great thinking...I am more hungry the next day when I do have some beers. Gotta watch that AND drink my water! xo
  • _alethea_
    Options
    Just wanted to add that most "Lite" beers have about 100 calories, so if you don't really like Mich Ultra, don't suffer just for the calorie/carb count! Try Corona Light, Amstel Light, Heineken Light, etc. If you're gonna spend your cals on beer, you should definitely enjoy it! :-)
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Just wanted to add that most "Lite" beers have about 100 calories, so if you don't really like Mich Ultra, don't suffer just for the calorie/carb count! Try Corona Light, Amstel Light, Heineken Light, etc. If you're gonna spend your cals on beer, you should definitely enjoy it! :-)

Good thinking. I got stuck on the michelob ultra cuz I was already getting chubby, got chubby and then was trying to find a beer I could have once in awhile without gaining a few pounds after a night out. I love GOOD beer and have been to beer fests and beer tastes, etc., I don't know if it's in my blood but I love the taste of beer. I'd choose it over chocolate cake any day and I love chocolate cake :) I'll check out some of the calorie intakes on the other good tasting beers. Thanks =)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Drinking beer now:drinker: Coors light for me...I deserve it after this week:)
  • DawnMangrum
    DawnMangrum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to drink 8 oz of water in between each beer that way I feel like I am flushing more of it back out in order to not have it "bite you in the butt" later. I have been at this for 2 years now and have lost more than what my profile says;;;;;because I do not know how to change that, but am about 15 pounds from my goal and doing great. I have been drinking throughout the process and do not feel it has hurt me, but like I said, I put in the water too.
  • stampede55
    Options

I mean't, you rock ;)

Haha! No problem. I'd like to add that I have a little trick of my own that I've been pulling off every now and then when I want that drink. I really love the taste of beer, but I seem to need ALOT to catch a warm fuzzy. What I've been doing is buying a 6er of Bud Select 55 for the low cal beer taste and then sipping 1oz shots of bourbon or a liquor of my choice. Most bourbon is around 69 cal per oz so you're looking at around 124 calories total per serving. Do that 4 times and you'll be under your calories and feeling Grrrrrreat!

Also the water/beer tradeoff is a fantastic idea too. Keeps you from over indulging and fights that dehydrated morning hangover.
  • SunLove8
    Options

LOVE it, hehehee! Although I'm Irish, I can't stand bourbon/whiskey. Wish I did, because it's lower cal and need less to feel that "fuzziness" once in awhile. Course, cheese makes me feel all fuzzy inside too...got to pick one or another though, lol

I mean't, you rock ;)

Haha! No problem. I'd like to add that I have a little trick of my own that I've been pulling off every now and then when I want that drink. I really love the taste of beer, but I seem to need ALOT to catch a warm fuzzy. What I've been doing is buying a 6er of Bud Select 55 for the low cal beer taste and then sipping 1oz shots of bourbon or a liquor of my choice. Most bourbon is around 69 cal per oz so you're looking at around 124 calories total per serving. Do that 4 times and you'll be under your calories and feeling Grrrrrreat!

Also the water/beer tradeoff is a fantastic idea too. Keeps you from over indulging and fights that dehydrated morning hangover.
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I try to drink 8 oz of water in between each beer that way I feel like I am flushing more of it back out in order to not have it "bite you in the butt" later. I have been at this for 2 years now and have lost more than what my profile says;;;;;because I do not know how to change that, but am about 15 pounds from my goal and doing great. I have been drinking throughout the process and do not feel it has hurt me, but like I said, I put in the water too.

Thanks, yeah...water is POWER! Gotta drink the water for sure to enjoy sodium, beer, etc.... Great job on the weight loss! :)
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Drinking beer now:drinker: Coors light for me...I deserve it after this week:)

Word! I'm having some Michelbo Ultra and was feeling guilty so I thought I'd post and find out if I ruined my whole day of exercise, lol. I don't feel so bad now, cheers =)
  • Pamphone
    Options
    Great idea drinking the glass of water in between. That way when I'm out with friends, I can stretch out 2 beers longer! I'm new to this site, but so far I like what I have been learning! Thanks Everyone!
  • ScorchPA
    Options
    I've dropped 50 lbs since Sept. 19th, and I have at least 1 drink per day and some times more.... a bottle of light beer while watching a game... a glass of wine with dinner.... maybe a shot of something harder every once in a while.

Just keep under your calories, or add a few more minutes of exercise to compensate...

If you have to give up the things you love, it's not a long term solution. My goal is not only weight loss, but lifestyle change...so I'm still going to tip one back every once in a while.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound a bit odd but those low calorie low carb beers are probably the worst you can drink, in more than one way. Try some a bit stronger. A full bodied dinner beer or a dry session beer, seara nevada is a personal favorite of mine. these stronger beers have more than empty calories and leave you with a satisfied feeling. Just my experience.