For the Umphteenth Time

Options
Hi everyone,

I am starting my weight loss journey AGAIN...for the umphteenth time. I have always been chubby and it escalated after having 4 children. I am a stay at home mom of those said four children. I want to lose weight for myself but also for my children and my husband. I want to be here for them as long as I can and be able to do fun things with them. I have 86 lbs to lose and I am highly unmotivated. I'm currenlty at my heaviest weight and I don't want to see that scale go up any more!!! I have been cursed with hypothyroidism and a sweet tooth. Losing weight is always very difficult for me. I could use some motivated and positive friends to keep me on this wagon.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can add all the super positive MFP pals in the world, but the motivation can only come from you. No one can get you off your *kitten* and do it for you. Don't look at the big picture if that seems too much; start with small changes. And for god sake, don't jump right in and think you can only eat 1200 cals a day. I wish you good luck.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    What are you going to be doing differently this time?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I'd strongly recommend that you think about what has made you quit dieting in the past. Was it too intense? Did you find yourself starving or not able to eat the foods you like? Do you hate the gym? Does your family discourage you with poor eating habits?

It's important to realize what has stopped you in the past so that you can move forward. The great part about losing weight with calorie counting is that it's easy, there are no gimmicks, and you can lose weight eating the same things that you love today. The only "catch" is making smarter choices when you eat. If you are allowed 1,800 calories and you have a chipotle burrito bowl for 1,000 calories, then you only have 800 left, probably shouldn't eat the chicken Alfredo pasta at cheesecake factory which is valued at 1,800.

Here's some general tips to help you out
    1. Measure / weigh everything. If it's a liquid measuring cup, everything else scale. Buy a food scale for work and home, I'm doing it and love it.

2. Set an obtainable weight loss goal. Don't go higher than 2lbs per week and I'd venture to say just start off at 1lb per week. You will be surprised how easy it is to lose weight at 1lb per week if you are honest with your portion sizes and record properly.

3. Exercise. Incorporate some light exercise 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week. Nothing crazy, check out advice some other users on this site for that. Great advice for lots of people who know more than on this topic.

4. Record everyday (even on cheat days). It's easy to give up when you have a bad day. Don't. You're human and you will have a day when you have too many margaritas or go to a steak buffet. Record everything as honestly as you can then get back on the horse.

5. Long term goal. Make this goal a life time goal.
  • jstewart1088
    jstewart1088 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I plan on making small changes. I think in the past I have tried to cut back too much at a time. I am cutting back on sugar, drinking more water, and getting off the couch this time. I always let me get in the way of me. I am not going to make anymore excuses and stick with it. It's not going to be a diet this time, it's going to be a lifestyle change. Thank you all for the support and encouragement!
  • aussirotti
    aussirotti Posts: 2
    Options
    i'm on a 1200-1300 nutritionist assisted diet. and i am about 150# overweight. i eat 3 meals a day and 2 or 3 snacks in between, and at bedtime. granted, i'm just starting this, but i've lost 6# already and it's working for me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am starting my weight loss journey AGAIN...for the umphteenth time. I have always been chubby and it escalated after having 4 children. I am a stay at home mom of those said four children. I want to lose weight for myself but also for my children and my husband. I want to be here for them as long as I can and be able to do fun things with them. I have 86 lbs to lose and I am highly unmotivated. I'm currenlty at my heaviest weight and I don't want to see that scale go up any more!!! I have been cursed with hypothyroidism and a sweet tooth. Losing weight is always very difficult for me. I could use some motivated and positive friends to keep me on this wagon.

Thank you for carefully outlining all your negatives and obstacles.

Now, if you wouldn't mind do you think you can find an equal amount of positives or strengths about yourself, your situation, or ideas you might have?

I think the first step is getting your mind right.

Positives/Strengths/Ideas:

1)_"cutting back on sugar"=Moderation_________. Great one!

2)_"drinking more water"=hydrating properly_______. Another awesome one, make sure to research to see what counts.

3)_"getting off the couch this time"= blankity blank Move More___. Cool, you have half of that famous line tackled already!

4)______________________________________.

5)______________________________________.

6)______________________________________.

7)______________________________________.

ETA: Oh I see you've already started with the following excerpt from your 2nd post "cutting back on sugar, drinking more water, and getting off the couch this time". I'll go ahead and fill in a couple of those blanks from this. You go ahead and fill the rest. Deal?

ETA2: Wow, check that out 3 blanks filled out already. That was without even trying. Wonder how fast you can fill this list once you get down to it?
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options

So far, post a topic about it, it looks like.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Now, if you wouldn't mind do you think you can find an equal amount of positives or strengths about yourself, your situation, or ideas you might have?

This. You'll be successful when you decide to be successful and stop letting your negative thoughts get in your way.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This. You'll be successful when you decide to be successful and stop letting your negative thoughts get in your way.

Yup. "I have seen the enemy & it is I".:)
    Ups and downs are a part of life, but outlooks contributes more to motivation and success than anything else.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston Churchill

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
    ― Confucius

It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.”
    ― Leonardo da Vinci
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I'd strongly recommend that you think about what has made you quit dieting in the past. Was it too intense? Did you find yourself starving or not able to eat the foods you like? Do you hate the gym? Does your family discourage you with poor eating habits?

It's important to realize what has stopped you in the past so that you can move forward. The great part about losing weight with calorie counting is that it's easy, there are no gimmicks, and you can lose weight eating the same things that you love today. The only "catch" is making smarter choices when you eat. If you are allowed 1,800 calories and you have a chipotle burrito bowl for 1,000 calories, then you only have 800 left, probably shouldn't eat the chicken Alfredo pasta at cheesecake factory which is valued at 1,800.

Here's some general tips to help you out
    1. Measure / weigh everything. If it's a liquid measuring cup, everything else scale. Buy a food scale for work and home, I'm doing it and love it.

2. Set an obtainable weight loss goal. Don't go higher than 2lbs per week and I'd venture to say just start off at 1lb per week. You will be surprised how easy it is to lose weight at 1lb per week if you are honest with your portion sizes and record properly.

3. Exercise. Incorporate some light exercise 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week. Nothing crazy, check out advice some other users on this site for that. Great advice for lots of people who know more than on this topic.

4. Record everyday (even on cheat days). It's easy to give up when you have a bad day. Don't. You're human and you will have a day when you have too many margaritas or go to a steak buffet. Record everything as honestly as you can then get back on the horse.

5. Long term goal. Make this goal a life time goal.

^^ Great advice!

I have 4 kids also...can you say busy? Lol! The most important thing I changed right at the beginning was giving myself permission to be selfish. Difficult to do with such busy days and everyone needing mom.

You must commit to yourself without the guilt to make this work. It will benefit your whole family to have you healthier.

You can do this! Feel free to add me.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

So far, post a topic about it, it looks like.

:huh:

Unhelpful and unnecessary. Why bother?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Positives/Strengths/Ideas:

1)_"cutting back on sugar"=Moderation_________. Great one!

2)_"drinking more water"=hydrating properly_______. Another awesome one, make sure to research to see what counts.

3)_"getting off the couch this time"= blankity blank Move More___. Cool, you have half of that famous line tackled already!

4)______________________________________.

5)______________________________________.

6)______________________________________.

7)______________________________________.

ETA: Oh I see you've already started with the following excerpt from your 2nd post "cutting back on sugar, drinking more water, and getting off the couch this time". I'll go ahead and fill in a couple of those blanks from this. You go ahead and fill the rest. Deal?

ETA2: Wow, check that out 3 blanks filled out already. That was without even trying. Wonder how fast you can fill this list once you get down to it?

Brilliant, MCD!

To the OP - I have two kids and a full time job. This puts me in a position where I have to give myself a lot of leeway for "life" without it becoming a lot of self-defeating excuses. What works for me is giving myself some soft-ball minimums.

No excuses - I so some sort of focused exercise every day, even if it's just 5 minutes of stretching.

No excuses - I don't eat more than maintenance over a week's time.

No excuses - I eat at least one serving of leafy greens (besides salad), one root vegetable (besides potatoes), one serving of beans, one serving of soy a week, And I try to eat fruit every day.

No excuses - I eat my protein and fat minimums.

Also, I don't see anything as a failure. If I have a crazy day - that's something that I know I need to plan for. When you have enough plans in place for your challenge areas, this all becomes stupid simple.

Good luck!