What is your biggest obstacle? What's getting in your way?

Options

Replies

• texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to not beat yourself up about these things. If you CAN'T fit it in, you can't fit it in. IF you're really being honest with yourself and there's just no way to make it work, try again tomorrow. Don't let it get you down, but don't lie to yourself either. Do what you can and keep pushing through! :)

Spoken like a true Tony Horton disciple. ;-) (I saw the shirt in your profile pic.)

I definitely agree with this. Learning to adapt and not let a temporary obstacle derail you is important. But my original question was really about things that are chronic and relentless. My own example of work - unless I quit I have to live with my plans being thwarted regularly, and it can get frustrating.

Some people have uncooperative, or downright obstructive spouses or other family members. Personally, I'll stick with the job with an erratic schedule and am grateful for a wife and family who are supportive.

-Tex

KPP
  • texstorm
    Options
    I'm doing INSANITY & my biggest obstacle is trying to eat enough. I've calculated that I should be eating 2,037 calories a day to lose weight. I know it doesn't really sound like a lot but it is for me. I'm hardly ever hungry but I know I need the calories and such for my body to function properly.

Have you tried using supplements to add to your calorie count?

-Tex

KPP
  • texstorm
    Options
    biggest problem i face is work. Often i have to work late and miss the gym. I also work with unsupportive people.Just today one of them brought me a chocolate shake from Hardees. Yea it was a nice gesture but would kill any diet. I don't mind splurging but when sticking to 1200 cal/day just cant put 700 into a drink.

Have you let your coworkers know that you're trying to lose weight? If so, are they just outright sabotaging you?

-Tex

KPP
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Right now it's my stupid head cold. Lots of pressure in my sinuses, if I do my regular routine I have trouble breathing right away. I also feel tired constantly. I can still go for walks but that doesn't burn anywhere near enough calories for me to reach my goals. Plus I've been drinking juice when I normally try to drink only water, so that adds extra calories. Hopefully I'll get better soon so I can start exercising normally again. :frown: :angry:
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    yep.Tex, they know..
  • Helehcim2point0
    Options
    Pain. Two very bad discs in my back. The pain is indescribable and really pi***ng me off. I've gained 40 lbs so now I have 63 to lose instead of 23 - because what do I do when I hurt and feel bad physically and emotionally? Chocolate, chips, sweets, regret.
    I completely gave up for a few months. If I could waive a wand my back would be healed and I could start to jog again. I miss running, I miss going to the gym, I miss lifting weights. But I can't do any of that right now, so one day at a time. I'm tracking my food again right down to the one kalamata olive and bite of peanut butter I had today. I walked for twenty minutes today and did my yoga now I'm sitting on the couch in pain, again, but there's only a diet ginger-ale next to me. I don't even want to say that maybe someday I can run, that's not even on my radar. I just want to lose the 63 pounds extra I have and see where I am then.
  • texstorm
    Options
    6 years ago I was very active, walked every evening, had a personal trainer it was great. Then 6 yrs ago I feel snow skiing and tore my acl. I had surgery and spent 6 months rehabbing. One year to the date of that surgery I re-tore my ACL again and had to have surgery one year to the date of the last surgery. After another 6 months of rehabbing I thought wow I'm in the clear. One year and 3 months of the 2nd surgery I found out I and fractured my back from that skiing accident. I had not clue until I had gotten back in the gym and then started feeling pain in my back. I had to have spinal surgery!!! Every time I started to get back into working out... wham!! It took a year to recover from spinal surgery and on my 1st day free and clear to work out again. I fell walking and re tore my ACL. I laid in someone's yard sobbing... I knew what I had done. My doctor said it would be cruel to do another surgery so soon and said to wait & I agreed. Walking in the gym with a brace I was extra careful... Then I fell 2 weeks after school started on the playground and tore my rotators cuff I'm one month out from surgery and its not going well. MY obstacle STOP FALLING AND NO MORE SURGERIES !!!!! I am so depressed.

I can relate. I tore my ACL in 2001. I was very active prior to that injury, riding my bike more than 100 miles a week and commuting by bike every day. When I tore the ACL I couldn't ride at all. Mine was a partial tear and my insurance wouldn't authorize surgery, so I spent 3 years healing. I changed my activity level dramatically, but still ate like I was riding 100+ miles a week. It took very little time for me to gain a lot of weight, which then caused other health issues.

All told, it took me 10 years to recover from that injury completely and get my weight back under control. The big lesson was that when your activity level drops you need to adjust your food intake accordingly.

-Tex

KPP
  • texstorm
    Options
    yep.Tex, they know..

Well, that's not cool.

Here's what Steve Kamb from Nerd Fitness had to say about unsupportive coworkers:

You see these people more often than probably anybody else in your life…

For 8-10 hours a day, you share the same building, desk, and lunch room. Because of that, your interactions with them almost play out like a high school drama complete with cliques, secrets, gossip, and *gasp* peer pressure!

When a co-worker brings in three dozen donuts from Dunkin D’s, he’s embarrassed if he’s the only person eating them…so he wanders around your office, finding other people to help him power through. If he gets to your desk and you politely decline, you might even hear something like “oh come on! It’s just a donut!” or “psssh, really? You can’t even eat one donut?”

These are generally the same people who make fun of you for bringing in your own salad and chicken when they’re stuffing their face with McDonalds/Arby’s/Whatever. If you happen to be a nerd in IT, then this might play out 2-3 times per day as people make runs to the nearest drive-through.

I can remember in my two previous jobs hundreds of instances where my dietary choices (both snacks and meals) were jokingly mocked by my co-workers.

Why? If your coworkers are unhealthy and uninterested in getting healthy, then the thought of somebody in their office making great life changes, exercising, and adjusting their diet might make them feel inadequate. Rather than watch you succeed and then feel bad about themselves, they’d rather keep the status quo and drag you down with them.

It’s time to suck it up, and keep your eyes on the prize. Build a thicker skin. For the first few weeks, I’m sure you’re going to get lots of funny looks when you bring in your own meals. You might get made fun of slightly for turning down muffins, candy, cake, donuts, bagels, and whatever else is brought in. However, as you start to transform, the “why don’t you eat this with us?” comments will start to switch to “wow, did you lose weight?,” then, “how did you do it?” and eventually, “Can you help me?”

The beginning is going to be rough…Be proud to stand out in your office.

If you are in an office of people who ARE interested in getting healthy, try to flip peer pressure into something positive:

* Find a workout buddy to stay accountable during the day
    * Start a weight loss competition at work – everybody throw in $50 bucks, winners take all
    * Form a running club
    * Have one day a week you all cook a healthy meal together (with everybody pitching in of course)
  • texstorm
    Options
    Myself.

Ok, I'm intrigued. Why are you your own biggest obstacle to reaching your goals?

-Tex

KPP
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    3 very young kids. Life is manic, fitting in meal prep and excercise is hard.

So, if you had a magic wand - what would you wave it at? What would you change, if you could?

-Tex

KPP

I love my kids, so I'm not going to vanish them! Maybe a housekeeper to do all the cleaning and washing they create, and a nanny to look after them so I could excercise, and a cook to sort out health meals. Yup, that's it - I need staff.
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky in that my family are helping out around the house more so that I can take the time for healthy meal planning and prep and working out. So nothing is standing in my way right now.

I have to say though that if I had a magic wand I'd make it so that I'm already at my goal weight, fit and healthy! Then I'd maintain. If I had a magic wand.
  • vic12655
    vic12655 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently started exercising lightly and walking for 20 minutes five days a week. I have 100 pounds to lose and I'm really out of shape, and at age 58 I'm starting out slowly. Anyway, I was mowing my yard and stepped into a critter hole of some kind and twisted my foot. Now I'm having pain in the ball of the foot and it was so bad I got it x-rayed. No broken bones, so they told me to rest it. That was a week ago and it still hurts. I'm wondering if I should wait until the pain goes away to start walking again? I am doing DVD exercises that the VA provided, that don't require standing, but I don't think I'm burning many calories.
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    At our age if we waited for the pain to go away we'd NEVER exercise. Im not a doc but I live in pain with 4 pinched nerves in my back.. Just do what you can that doesn't make it worse. Gotta stay moving though.. its that inertia thing.
  • jjjbkkkk
    jjjbkkkk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To Herkmeoff who said myself. I'm with you. So exactly what do you do about yourself????
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Pain. Two very bad discs in my back. The pain is indescribable and really pi***ng me off. I've gained 40 lbs so now I have 63 to lose instead of 23 - because what do I do when I hurt and feel bad physically and emotionally? Chocolate, chips, sweets, regret.
    I completely gave up for a few months. If I could waive a wand my back would be healed and I could start to jog again. I miss running, I miss going to the gym, I miss lifting weights. But I can't do any of that right now, so one day at a time. I'm tracking my food again right down to the one kalamata olive and bite of peanut butter I had today. I walked for twenty minutes today and did my yoga now I'm sitting on the couch in pain, again, but there's only a diet ginger-ale next to me. I don't even want to say that maybe someday I can run, that's not even on my radar. I just want to lose the 63 pounds extra I have and see where I am then.

My husband just injured his lower lumbar disks and is having the same problem. Feel free to "friend" me and share any advice and experience. He is heavy, but plays baseball on the week-ends and had to give that up. He also goes to the gym, but hasn't been in at least a week. We are trying to find safe exercise we can do together.
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    For me it is work.
    work both full time and run a freelance business. Things are normal for a month or two and then suddenly new jobs pile up and I'm working 85-105hr a week for 1/2 to 3 months. This really limits free time for exercising/sleeping/food prep/eating right. After the first week I'm only running on caffeine fumes and any extra stress on my body (exercise) causes my immune system to fail and I get sick. Thus if I happen to get a spare hour I have found it healthier to get (almost) a regular nights sleep over working out. I also reward/motivate myself to work long hours by buying yummy (unhealthy) food.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My biggest obstacle is over confidence.
    I have lost 84lbs since July 1st 2013.
    I still have another 18lbs to lose to get to my goal weight of 125lbs
    Most of the weight lost was before February this year.
    My problem is that now that I can fit into smaller clothes, I no longer feel bad about my size, and keep straying away from my calorie controlled way of eating, by telling myself "I have done so well and have no reason to worry"
    I am still overweight medically since my BMI is 27, though I fit into size 4-6 clothes and ideally I would love to be in a healthy weight range.
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    For me I would wave it at myself... Erase the procrastination that I have... :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    The only thing that get's in my way is me.

Then there's that giant 6' sesame seeded Italian loaf that keeps knocking on my door and following me down the street screaming "eat me!" He's a huge pain in the butt.