Can you get fit with wii games?

Options
Hi all,

I've been on this exercise journey almost 4 months now. But my significant other is just not committed - she knows she needs to exercise to improve her health, and she does run once in a while, but very irregularly. I'm thinking of getting a wii for her to make it more fun to exercise. Has anyone had any success with wii?

Thanks!

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Some Wii games can get you moving, but not at a significant or sustained rate, for the most part. Dance games with a dance pad are more likely to get your heart rate up a bit. Most of the actual fitness games sort of suck. Read reviews of the games carefully before deciding on one.

ETA: As much as I love my Wii, I don't consider it a fitness tool at all. If your girl likes gadgetry, you might be better off investing in a Fitbit Flex or Garmin Vivofit. Either is a pedometer worn around the wrist that keeps track of steps, calories burned, etc. You can set goals, like 10,000 steps, and it will remind you to move if you've been still too long.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! That was the general impression I got from researching online as well - seems like most people don't find wii an actual workout. I'll rethink it, thanks!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    No change will happen until your S.O. really decides they want it for themselves.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The Wii Fit was what got me started! Some of the games really do get the heart working and they are fun too. If you are trying to get your other half interested in getting fit, this may well be a good way to start.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Are you limited to just the wii? There's some great games out for the xbox 360 & the xbox one that uses the kinect camera. It's officially the only way I will do zumba - at home where nobody can see me trip over my own feet. :laugh: It might be a fun way to be active without feeling like it's a 'workout'.

Personally, the xbox & the wii would not replace my time at the gym, but they were a great starting point. Especially for someone who may be intimidated by more public workouts, like going to the gym or running down the street. One thing to keep in mind, you do need to have plenty of room to move around with kinect.
  • SnugglePlunderBunny
    SnugglePlunderBunny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I use the Wii a lot; for about half of my exercise and that it does work towards weight loss for me. For real impact, I do it in 30-60minute sessions 3 times a week, but there is a definite cumulative effect. As long as you take it seriously and put the effort in (as you would in a gym or fitness class) there are benefits to be had.

And ultimately any activity increase is better than none.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    It won't get you fit, its just better than sitting on the sofa playing games.

That being said, playing games for an hour on wii fit, is better than an hour doing nothing.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's good for getting started. It's fun and it gets you moving. Some exercises (hula hoop, running, longer bike rides) are better than others (tilt-type balance games). The snowball fight is really fun, and a good "warm up". At some point, though, you realize you're not really winded or tired or anything and you want more. That's been my experience at least. It might be worthwhile for that (kick-start), if not for the actual intensity, etc.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I liked doing wii fit through the winter months when I didn't have a gym pass or just couldn't get there and found it to be a lot of fun! :) Granted it is not as good as say going to the gym, but if your SO doesn't usually do any type of exercise than this could be a fun way to start! :)
  • KimberDG9966
    KimberDG9966 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use the EA Active 2 "game" for my Wii. It has multiple challenges (3 week or 9 week), levels (easy, medium, hard), and comes with a heart rate monitor for more accurate tracking. The game alternates cardio with strength training (light - with resistance bands) and it gets my heart pumping. I enjoy it and I'm moving! Works well for me :)
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like Just Dance 2014 (Just Sweat portion) for Wii, but I use it as a break from my usual activities.

Have you asked **her** what she would like to do? Does she prefer dancing, hiking, playing soccer? If you two do the activity together that might be more enticing than if you said "Here honey, I bought you a Wifi Fit because you need it!"
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wii fit actually helped me a lot. In high school I used it every day for half an hour and it made a difference in my weight and my arm definition. I could actually do push ups. I fell out of the routine when I got sick but I'm getting back into it.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Working out is great and any sort of movement that gets your heartrate up for a prolonged period of time will help BUT the only way to loose the weight is with a calorie deficit.
  • jdot107
    jdot107 Posts: 2
    Options
    Depends how hard you're working, I found dance dance revolution got the blood pumping. Be sure to include some resistance training as well and add cardio if you don't feel like you're exerting yourself.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    The wii dance games got me going. The only problem was that I was a leftie and the game is designed to read the moves off of a right handed person. My college friend figured out how to work around that problem; taped the wii controller to my right stub with duct tape and it did the trick.

Now that I think about it... it was playing the wii dance games with her that slowly made me realize that I needed to start losing weight before my college graduation! lol
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used Wii Fit Plus and counting calories to lose ten pounds. I also used to do Wii a lot a few years ago and it really helped a lot. The Fit Plus is actually really cool. You should set a time where every night you both do the Wii together. That way it doesn't just seem like you bought it to force her to work out. That doesn't go over well with some people :)

One thing I will mention though, is that it is deceiving to use it on a carpeted surface. I used it and then finally used a real scale and was really sad when the real scale said I was ten lbs heavier! I hadn't even considered that carpet screws with it. So what I did was get a board and put the balance board on that, but that may not work for everyone as you do get on and off a lot.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Any movement is better than none at all. Of course there are far better ways to get into shape but if this is where you feel comfortable at for now you go for it. You’ll know when you’re ready to step it up.
    Good luck and best wishes!
  • missvie
    missvie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The wii fit plus is good for putting together a strength training/ yoga workout. You can compile as many exercises as you like (pushups, jackknifes, lunges) and its a great way to plan it out ahead of time. Usually I put together a 45 minute list of the different exercises!

It's not great for cardio though.
  • JessaAnn407
    JessaAnn407 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii to do Zumba. I LOVE it! And it registers if you are half-assing it, and will let you know. It helped me start my weight loss journey, by 10 pounds. So I think if you are will to use it and really use it, it will work.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    it's better than sitting on the couch doing nothing, I suppose.