Please help!!! What's going on?

Options
I'm a 5'7" female, 22 years old. Normally eat 700-800 calories a day and exercising regularily (40 mins of walking, 6 days a week plus an active lifestyle (aka lots of outdoor work as well as carrying my 18 lb baby around). People are *always* telling me I need to eat MORE, so I'm trying, but all it's doing is making me gain!!! I weighed in this morning at 140lbs (I realize this is not overweight for my height but if I gain 5 lbs in 3 weeks from upping my calories to 800 then how in the WORLD will I manage 1200)?! My doc said 135 was a good weight for me but HOW can I eat "normally" and stay slim???

Replies

• TheIrish1981
    TheIrish1981 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Your BMR has to be higher than 800. It is possible that under eating for so long has wrecked your metabolism and you are going to have to allow this time to correct but nourishing your body properly.
  • enternamehur
    Options
    I agree, your body has gone into starvation mode and it's storing everything it can. Your going to have to eat more and get your metabolism going again
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    You need to eat enough to keep your body working properly. And yeah, you'll gain in the short term but your body has to get used to not holding onto everything it's given and THEN you will lose weight.

800 calories is starvation and you're not going to last very long continuing that. You have a baby to look after- please take care of yourself.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'7" female, 22 years old. Normally eat 700-800 calories a day and exercising regularily (40 mins of walking, 6 days a week plus an active lifestyle (aka lots of outdoor work as well as carrying my 18 lb baby around). People are *always* telling me I need to eat MORE, so I'm trying, but all it's doing is making me gain!!! I weighed in this morning at 140lbs (I realize this is not overweight for my height but if I gain 5 lbs in 3 weeks from upping my calories to 800 then how in the WORLD will I manage 1200)?! My doc said 135 was a good weight for me but HOW can I eat "normally" and stay slim???

That's your muscles storing glycogen. it's not fat. It's quick energy that will fuel your workouts. This could be a hard road for you, but you need to focus on fueling the cool things you do.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You raised your cals to 800?? :huh: How low were you eating before and for how long? Eating very low cals for a period of time screws you all up, and yes, raising your cals to a reasonable level WILL cause you to gain a little at first - it will take time for your body to adjust to getting a proper amount of food.

I'm an inch taller than you and twice your age, and I lose weight eating 1800-2000 cals a day. You should be eating AT LEAST 1200 cals a day, probably more. Food is fuel, and you aren't getting near enough of it.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Also a lot of people estimate rather than measure food and miss things like milk in coffee, oil they cook with, ketchup etc. You may be eating a little more than you think but if not then stick with it and you'll probably find it all evens out as you'll probably feel even more energetic with better nutrition. 700-800 is way too low.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Does your doc know how little you eat? Hun I think you need to speak to a health professional because it is not normal to be worried about eating so little a day and now you have a little baby to look after too. Look after yourself :flowerforyou:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    You raised your cals to 800?? :huh: How low were you eating before and for how long? Eating very low cals for a period of time screws you all up, and yes, raising your cals to a reasonable level WILL cause you to gain a little at first - it will take time for your body to adjust to getting a proper amount of food.

I'm an inch taller than you and twice your age, and I lose weight eating 1800-2000 cals a day. You should be eating AT LEAST 1200 cals a day, probably more. Food is fuel, and you aren't getting near enough of it.

^This. At 5'8" and 33 YO I am losing weight on 2345 calories a day. My build etc. may be significantly different than yours, but in NO WAY should you only be eating 800 calories a day (assuming you are tracking your caloric intake accurately). OP, please take a few minutes to read through the link provided below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    And let me add that I went from 142 to 135 while eating 1800-2000 cals a day - I eat "normally" and stay slim because my body is happily well-fueled, sheds fat while retaining my lean muscle. Eating super low just messes with your hormones, your metabolism, your mood, etc, and can cause you to lose your lean muscle right along with any fat. As your metabolism slows to match the low cal intake, you end up needed to eat less and less to lose - it's a nasty downward spiral that you do not want to be on.

Start eating the right amount of cals. Yes you will see a gain at first, yes it's temporary, but yes, it will take some time for things to even out. But it's worth it for you and for your kid who is watching you and seeing the examples you set!

If you feel like 1200 cals is too much food, add calorie dense foods to your day, things that pack a lot of cals in small servings, like nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, use olive and coconut oils, put butter on things....don't be afraid of fat - fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do, and 1200 is not too many cals, so chow down!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also, again assuming you are tracking your calories accurately, as another poster said, you are putting on water and glycogen weight right now, NOT fat. Please work your calories up slowly to a normal level, find your TDEE and eat at that level for at least a few weeks and then start trying for the weight loss again with a reasonable calorie goal. Oh, and put your scale away for a while, your weight is going to be all over the place.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

That's your muscles storing glycogen. it's not fat. It's quick energy that will fuel your workouts. This could be a hard road for you, but you need to focus on fueling the cool things you do.

QFT
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Ran your stats through a BMR/TDEE calculator - based on your age, height, current weight and activity level in your first post, your BMR (MINIMUM calories!) is around 1476, and your TDEE (MAINTENANCE calories) is 2288 for a moderately active lifestyle (includes exercise). Take 20% off the TDEE and that gives you a daily goal of 1831 calories to LOSE FAT! Your shorting your body by over 1000 cals a day.

If you set your weight loss goal to 2lbs a week in MFP, change it to 1/2 bl a week. Eat your calories (goal means GOAL!), and eat back at least a portion of your exercise cals. Log as accurately as possible, weigh & measure foods, get a food scale if you don't have one.

Eat your cals, drink water, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep. And have patience. You're in this for life, right? It's worth doing it the correct and sustainable way. Because starting over (or crashing and burning) is no fun. :tongue:
  • JAVAGIRLSS
    JAVAGIRLSS Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I guess it just takes a lot of faith to eat MORE in a situation like this. How long will it take to see it go the other direction? I hate starvation mode!
  • JAVAGIRLSS
    JAVAGIRLSS Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also I've heard you shouldn't eat fats and carbs in the same meal (but always protein with each) - is this true for weight loss?
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You are breastfeeding too aren't you? If you don't eat well nutrients get leeched from your body to nourish your baby and your skin will get terrible and your hair will fall out (even more than it does post partum!) This does not happen straight away but after about 3 months of going on a VLCD.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Also I've heard you shouldn't eat fats and carbs in the same meal (but always protein with each) - is this true for weight loss?
    I eat carbs, fats & protein at every meal. My dairy is open if you want to have a look, go for it.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo that the weight you are gaining is water and glycogen, not fat. Increase your calories slowly until you can net at least your BMR on most days.

No, this isn't true. A well balanced meal will have a good portion of all three. I'd worry about the above advice excluding a lot of really nutrient-rich whole foods that you need, and it might also cause some digestion and malabsorption issues. The only thing that works for fat loss is a moderate calorie deficit.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

No that is not true. As a matter of fact, there are many foods where it's completely impossible. Just eat to your calorie limit, making sure you hit your minimum protein and fat needs.
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    Options
    And this is why you don't eat less than 1200 NET (I repeat, NET) a day.

Don't be silly.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    if you are actually eating 700-800 calories a day
    then call this number.. 800-931-2237