"Too Skinny"

Options
Hello MFP family,

I just need to vent. I'm so tired of people telling me that I'm getting "too skinny". What is too skinny? When I started my journey at the beginning of the year, I was at my all time high of 176lbs. I'm now down to 160lbs. That's 16lbs. I would like my final weight to be 140lbs. I've only went down one size from a 12 to a 10. I just wish instead of people being negative, encourage me and tell me how well I'm doing. Geez people.

Thanks for listening. Have a good day.

12602173.png

Replies

• Nimhel
    Nimhel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I just had my grandmother tell me the other day to stop losing because she was worried I'd start to look "gaunt". I'm 5'8 and 164 lbs. A long way off from gaunt.
  • sweetblackberry1
    sweetblackberry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP family,

I just need to vent. I'm so tired of people telling me that I'm getting "too skinny". What is too skinny? When I started my journey at the beginning of the year, I was at my all time high of 176. I'm now down to 160. That's 16lbs. I would like my final weight to be 140lbs. I only went down one size from a 12 to a 10. I just wish instead of people being negative, encourage me and tell me how well I'm doing. Geez people.

12602173.png

That's exactly what is happen to me now and i don't fit in the pants i used three years ago so what is their problem?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP family,

I just need to vent. I'm so tired of people telling me that I'm getting "too skinny". What is too skinny? When I started my journey at the beginning of the year, I was at my all time high of 176. I'm now down to 160. That's 16lbs. I would like my final weight to be 140lbs. I only went down one size from a 12 to a 10. I just wish instead of people being negative, encourage me and tell me how well I'm doing. Geez people.

I heard I was "too skinny" or losing "too much" for the last 50 lbs of my weight loss. It's mostly people wanting to feel better about themselves for not being able or motivated enough to do what you are doing. It was funny how my family or co-workers who were overweight or obese told me these things all the time, yet my friends from the gym who were as lean as I wanted to be would comment on my progress being good and said things like "Keep up the good work" "Keep losing, you're almost there!".

Long story short, Haters ganna hate!
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My mom made me get on the scale...Two times now because of the same thing within weeks apart. Last time it caused some problems between her and I but like for real, if you're healthy and happy WHY is it anyone's business?!?! Ugh that's my two cents anyways :grumble:
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    At thanksgiving I was asked repeatedly if I was sick. it really put me in a bad mood with my mom I'm still not over it.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yep, i've gotten this recently. My sister (who is 5'7" and like 118lbs) told me that if i lost more weight i'd look "skeletal." I'm 5'9 and 149lbs. Wtf?
  • Nimhel
    Nimhel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep, i've gotten this recently. My sister (who is 5'7" and like 118lbs) told me that if i lost more weight i'd look "skeletal." I'm 5'9 and 149lbs. Wtf?

I get this too! My sister is the same height as me (5'8") and she has always been super skinny. Like 110 lbs. And they keep acting concerned about my weight when I am over 50 lbs heavier then her! I never plan to get that low. I only want to lose 15 more lbs.
  • sammie121403
    sammie121403 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am below my goal weight, but as I was losing weight, that"s all people would say to me. I almost always took it as an insult, like they were putting down all the work I was doing (eating right, measuring servings, working out beyond what I had done). I just started telling them that I had 25 pounds that I could lose and still be in the healthy weight range on the BMI chart, so I was not, and then I would just ignore them. Sometimes, I wondered if people were threatened by the fact that I was doing it the right way and I was getting fit, not just skinny. I think it was a shock for most, but it happened gradually. I went from a size 13-14 to a 0-2, but in 9 months time, then I started toning. I say you know your body and what it really looks like and what you're working towards, so keep on going and ignore them. :)

33354125.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    People sometimes just have trouble with "change" - my husband leaned out from eating well one summer and his mom kept asking if he was sick. My mother worries every time I lose weight even if I'm also gaining muscle. Once they got used to it, though, it was no big deal.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Some people will say things out of jealousy or spit (they hate seeing others doing what they feel is out of their reach) others out of misguided love (they mean well) but sometimes it’s the cold hard truth. I would say based on your profile photos that none of you First couple of posters) fit the latter and are at a “healthy for you” weight or look.
    V/r,
    DW
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    devil's advocate:
    1) They're trying to compliment you
    2) They're used to seeing you heavy and the change is so dramatic you "appear" to be too skinny, especially compared to how you looked for so long.

#2 is a big one for me. I was obese for my entire adult life (almost 20 years) up until a few years ago so some people are just having a hard time getting used to how I look. I even got the skin and bones comment - not hardly! I'm still 10+ pounds from being in the normal weight range for my height! Mostly it's people I haven't seen in a while and they forget that I've lost the weight so it takes them aback when they first see me. Pretty much everyone else is used to my new figure now though.

I'm sure there are some who are jealous or whatever but I think the majority of people, especially those who love us, mean well. Once you're at your goal weight for a while, they'll get used to it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    my second mom smacked me with a newspaper and told me I'd better not have turn anorexic. Then she put a big plate of Italian food in front of me with an expectant look.
    Sometimes, they are just worried.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    my second mom smacked me with a newspaper and told me I'd better not have turn anorexic. Then she put a big plate of Italian food in front of me with an expectant look.

Hmmm…. Sounds familiar or should I say familia. Let me take a guess and say your second mom is Italian? My Nonna would do that to me all the time in H.S. when I was trying to make weight for wrestling. I couldn’t leave the table at our Sunday dinners at her house until I had at least two plates full of pasta.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Hmmm…. Sounds familiar or should I say familia. Let me take a guess and say your second mom is Italian? My Nonna would do that to me all the time in H.S. when I was trying to make weight for wrestling. I couldn’t leave the table at our Sunday dinners at her house until I had at least two plates full of pasta.

haha! YES!! And it's too good to NOT eat!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    devil's advocate:
    1) They're trying to compliment you
    2) They're used to seeing you heavy and the change is so dramatic you "appear" to be too skinny, especially compared to how you looked for so long.

Pretty much this^^^

I think most people perceive such statements as giving you a compliment. I've been in maintenance over a year now and I no longer receive such comments as now I just look "normal"...people are used to seeing me this size, but before and while I was losing I received loads of these kind of comments and 99.9% of them were coming from the right place...they were attempting to compliment me on my loss.

Look at it this way...they could say, "hey...way to go losing some weight...but you're still a fat *kitten*...better work on that."
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm going with people aren't used to you being smaller vein. When I hit the 170's people started making comments about me wasting away... and how tiny I was... how I seemed shorter...

Um, sure... compared to the original 340 I started at, I probably seemed larger than life in comparison...

now I'm at about 150 but as people got used to the smaller me, the comments have tapered off... and everyone is just normal again...

So it passes ... don't let it bother you...