In search of friends - I've let myself go

Options
timerr
timerr Posts: 23 Member
Hi all,

I've been considering posting this for sometime now. After reading this if you have any tips please do share!! :)

You see, I've been trying my best to loose weight ever since I was a teen. I've always been on the heavy side of things - I've never been 'thin' or 'slim' and I guess this is part of the excuses I've been feeding myself. Whenever I have lost a few pounds I feel great, but then I fall back into the never-ending pit of doom - I gain double that which I lost. This yo-yo dieting is not good at all....my skin is suffering, so are my joints.

I've decided to change....I guess change needs to happen now!

The reason I am posting this is that I want to make a change, I want to keep myself accountable and I would like to have some friends who are driven to make a change too. I'm 22 and I'm a post-grad student, in my final semester/term!

We're heading into summer and I guess we all need a little bit of motivation, etc. I've got my diary open to friends and I will also be posting the amount of hours I excercise.

So please if you can add me that would be great ! :D I'd really appreciate, itd mean so much to me!

Take care guys!

Replies

• booboox94
    booboox94 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Nearly 20 and just finished my 2nd year at uni.

I've got 50lbs to lose, and my goal is next May! Managed to lose 2 stone last year, but put it all back on when uni got stressful.

Just added you so I hope I can help motivate and support you! x
  • jennafer32
    jennafer32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Glad you've reached out! That is what helped me stay the course this past almost a year! (323 days and counting!)
    i've had this problem too since I can remember and now that i'm older want it gone for good and to be a role model for my kids so they don't have to go thru what I went thru. I started loggin all the food I ate, kept it @ about 1,410 daily, more veggies and lower carb drank tons of water! (goal is 15 cups daily) and excercised daily (maybe one rest day a week). I've lost 43lbs and 4 sizes the most important part to me is that this time I did it with no diets no drugs no surgery I did it on my own the old fashioned way. My diary is also open and i'm free to answer any questions you may have :)
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation... 2 years ago, almost 20 kgs ago. Feel free to add me if you want to! :)
  • dejareedubose
    dejareedubose Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me i love motivating ppl
  • tammylegattjohnson1
    Options
    I love meeting new people and sharing struggles/achievements! I will definitely add you so we can encourage each other!
  • formichina83
    formichina83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It seems my life... two years ago, line Eleonora... 25 kg ago!!! Carry on, with some friends it can be easier!
    Good luck!
  • hubn8147
    hubn8147 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm almost 27 and have lost about 40 pounds in the last 2.5 years. I joined MFP on Jan. 2 2014, and I'm trying to lose the last 9 pounds! Feel free to add me! :)
  • Jessicailu
    Jessicailu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I have had the same problem as well. As soon as I see im doing good I make excuses and go back to my bad habits. No more of that!
  • ctcraig86
    ctcraig86 Posts: 2
    Options
    One of the first things you really ought to do is set an overall goal and a short-term goal. How many pounds are you looking to lose total? Once you have that goal in mind, start with small goals. Say, 5 lbs is your first goal and go from there. Also, what might be something you are looking to do in the future that would be the result from the weight loss? For me, I started out wanting to run. Eventually I got to where I could do 5k's. Then I started pushing myself more and more and eventually eyed running a half marathon. Then I did it. As far as food/eating in concerned, start by evaluating all of the things you eat and drink consistently. What small things can you go cold turkey on? Soda? Chips? Pick ONE thing to completely cut from your diet and police yourself. You would be surprised what difference can be made just by taking away one bad thing from your daily intake. The next thing I would suggest is just trying to eat a little less than normal. The approach I took when I started was eating slightly less portion-wise, but not really what I was eating. I coupled that with the increase of exercise and did that for a while until I hit a plateau. The trick is that once your results start to taper, make a change. This will keep your body on its toes and will keep you heading in the right direction. Eventually you'll be eating better and being more active. Don't be afraid to push yourself past your comfort zone. You'll be happy you did when you look back at where you've come from.
  • AutumnK21
    AutumnK21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I am new and really trying to use this App. I used to use the weight watchers app and am trying this for a change since it's free. I am also working with Beachbody, trying the 21 day fix and clean eating!! Just looking for people to stay motiveated with :) please friend me!!
  • hoovified
    hoovified Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have been struggling with my weight for forever. I don't remember weighing under 230 pounds. I weigh 290 pounds now and would like to make it into the 100's for once in my life. I have an open diary too and also post my exercise and make frequent status updates. I went away for a while but I came back and am determined to make this work. Would be great if we could be friends!
  • eesull
    eesull Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on MyFitnessPal for a few years but I'm finally trying to stay motivated through adding friends. I'm in such a similar boat as you - I'm a grad student, hoping to get some support. Anyone feel free to add me!
  • redraider1
    redraider1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Katie here... On daily... 70lbs to lose -- and never find again.

26 years old, work full-time and a pt grad student.

Feel free to add me! I just started over, on my 2nd week of recommitting to my goal!
  • rockangel775
    Options
    Hey! I am also in a similar situation- I have used this app in the past but was never consistent with it. Now I am graduating with my Nutritional Science/ Biochemistry degree and I just want to get in the best shape of my life. I have about 20 pounds to loose to reach my goal weight and I am looking forward to hopefully meeting some amazing people to encourage and motivate each other.
  • XFreckle_LipX
    XFreckle_LipX Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am also one to fall into the never ending pit of yo yo dieting..... This time around I seem to be having alot more success. I'm taking things 1lb at a time and its working! I have just added you!

Good luck!
  • dreamer48216
    Options
    I'm 32 and having a hard time motivating myself to start taking better care of myself, so I totally get where you are coming from. I've been sitting on the couch now for an hour trying to talk myself into getting onto the the treadmill, lol. I added you :)
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Most of you are so much younger than I am....... but take it from me - if you don't get a handle on it now - it only gets worse!! It won't get better on it's own without you doing anything..... I know that you already know that. Lol.

I too have lost and gained (rinse and repeat) the same stupid 40-50 pounds over the years and this time I'm committed to taking it off and never putting it on again! That means I have to stop thinking of this as a DIET and think of it as a way of life! I sometimes joke that I'm going to have to be a LIFETIME member of MFP! Haha. When I log my food/exercise - I lose.... when I don't log - I gain. It's just that simple!!

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request! Feel free to add me!!