Options
    tesing 123 testing....never mind!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

1nat·u·ral
    adjective \ˈna-chə-rəl, ˈnach-rəl\

: existing in nature and not made or caused by people : coming from nature
    : not having any extra substances or chemicals added : not containing anything artificial
    : usual or expected

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/natural
    Natural does not equal healthy. In the same vein, artificial does not equal unhealthy.
    Here are some natural things, should I eat them? Hemlock, English Yew, lead, arsenic.

Eat whatever you want, natural or not, healthy or not. Someone asked what was not natural about aspartame, so I provided an answer.

So there are no dipeptide methyl esters in nature? Just because something is mass produced through chemical synthesis does not mean that the original basis for it wasn't a natural product.

aspartame is a man-made product. Man-made =/= natural. Ever.

Bees make honey and it's considered natural. How come what humans make isn't also considered natural? Why do so many people consider humans and their actions unnatural?

Semantics, I know...

It doesn't really matter what most people consider. Words have definitions. The definition of the word natural is above.

Words have definitions, yes. Words describe ideas but sometimes ideas would be better conveyed using different words. This is one of those instances.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you stick to 17 or under you will be crazy fit and will be able to do KB windmills with the best of them.

I had to look up KB windmills on youtube. Is it just me or is that kind of a useless looking exercise?

Not really. What do you mean by useless?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

1nat·u·ral

: not having any extra substances or chemicals added : not containing anything artificial

Natural does not equal healthy. In the same vein, artificial does not equal unhealthy.
    Here are some natural things, should I eat them? Hemlock, English Yew, lead, arsenic.

Eat whatever you want, natural or not, healthy or not. Someone asked what was not natural about aspartame, so I provided an answer.

So there are no dipeptide methyl esters in nature? Just because something is mass produced through chemical synthesis does not mean that the original basis for it wasn't a natural product.

Bees make honey and it's considered natural. How come what humans make isn't also considered natural? Why do so many people consider humans and their actions unnatural?

Semantics, I know...

It doesn't really matter what most people consider. Words have definitions. The definition of the word natural is above.

Words have definitions, yes. Words describe ideas but sometimes ideas would be better conveyed using different words. This is one of those instances.

Well if we want to throw out the dictionary and make up our own language, then sure. Anything can be natural. The sky is the limit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So, is a pluot natural?

Or more importantly, is the fructose in a pluot special in any discernible way?

*sigh*

This is taking too long. I'll just jump straight to the conclusion I was eventually driving to:

Is there any commercial fruit available today that is still "natural" using that definition? And if not, then how does the fructose in these human-influenced fruits differ from "natural" fructose? If we have created oranges that are twice as sweet as the originals, with a significantly higher fructose content, is this extra fructose the "natural" kind (which is good and for which there are no limits) or the "man-made" kind (which is bad and should be limited to an unknown amount)?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

1nat·u·ral

Am actually wondering if most of the meat we get from modern farm animals would meet this definition then, after all aren't they manufactured by cross breeding to promote fast muscle growth etc, with most of them resembling the original animals in shape only.

or is it natural to selectively cross breed these different breeds of animal?

Just a thought
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

1nat·u·ral

Semantics, I know...

Well if we want to throw out the dictionary and make up our own language, then sure. Anything can be natural. The sky is the limit.

I'm only suggesting something that happens to words and languages all the time. The world is not static.

Semantic change (also semantic shift, semantic progression or semantic drift) is the evolution of word usage — usually to the point that the modern meaning is radically different from the original usage. In diachronic (or historical) linguistics, semantic change is a change in one of the meanings of a word. Every word has a variety of senses and connotations, which can be added, removed, or altered over time, often to the extent that cognates across space and time have very different meanings. The study of semantic change can be seen as part of etymology, onomasiology, semasiology, and semantics.

-- Awful—Originally meant "inspiring wonder (or fear)". Used originally as a shortening for "full of awe", in contemporary usage the word usually has negative meaning.
    -- Demagogue—Originally meant "a popular leader". It is from the Greek dēmagōgós "leader of the people", from dēmos "people" + agōgós "leading, guiding". Now the word has strong connotations of a politician who panders to emotions and prejudice.
    -- Egregious—Originally described something that was remarkably good. The word is from the Latin egregius "illustrious, select", literally, "standing out from the flock", which is from ex—"out of" + greg—(grex) "flock". Now it means something that is remarkably bad or flagrant.
    -- Guy—Guy Fawkes was the alleged leader of a plot to blow up the English Houses of Parliament on 5 Nov. 1605. The day was made a holiday, Guy Fawkes day, commemorated by parading and burning a ragged, grotesque effigy of Fawkes, known as a Guy. This led to the use of the word guy as a term for any "person of grotesque appearance" and then by the late 1800s—especially in the United States—for "any man", as in, e.g., "Some guy called for you." Over the 20th century, guy has replaced fellow in the U.S., and, under the influence of American popular culture, has been gradually replacing fellow, bloke, chap and other such words throughout the rest of the English-speaking world. In the plural, it can refer to a mixture of genders (e.g., "Come on, you guys!" could be directed to a group of men and women).
    -- Gay—Originally meant (13th century) "lighthearted", "joyous" or (14th century) "bright and showy", it also came to mean "happy"; it acquired connotations of immorality as early as 1637, either sexual e.g., gay woman "prostitute", gay man "womanizer", gay house "brothel", or otherwise, e.g., gay dog "over-indulgent man" and gay deceiver "deceitful and lecherous". In the United States by 1897 the expression gay cat referred to a hobo, especially a younger hobo in the company of an older one; by 1935, it was used in prison slang for a homosexual boy; and by 1951 and clipped to gay, referred to homosexuals.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_change (I don't usually cite from here but this instance was okay)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So, is a pluot natural?

Or more importantly, is the fructose in a pluot special in any discernible way?

*sigh*

This is taking too long. I'll just jump straight to the conclusion I was eventually driving to:

Is there any commercial fruit available today that is still "natural" using that definition?

Are you asking me? I don't know what a pluot is, and I don't know the answer to your question.
  • bcattoes
    Options

1nat·u·ral

Semantics, I know...

I'm only suggesting something that happens to words and languages all the time. The world is not static.

Semantic change (also semantic shift, semantic progression or semantic drift) is the evolution of word usage — usually to the point that the modern meaning is radically different from the original usage. In diachronic (or historical) linguistics, semantic change is a change in one of the meanings of a word. Every word has a variety of senses and connotations, which can be added, removed, or altered over time, often to the extent that cognates across space and time have very different meanings. The study of semantic change can be seen as part of etymology, onomasiology, semasiology, and semantics.

-- Awful—Originally meant "inspiring wonder (or fear)". Used originally as a shortening for "full of awe", in contemporary usage the word usually has negative meaning.
    -- Demagogue—Originally meant "a popular leader". It is from the Greek dēmagōgós "leader of the people", from dēmos "people" + agōgós "leading, guiding". Now the word has strong connotations of a politician who panders to emotions and prejudice.
    -- Egregious—Originally described something that was remarkably good. The word is from the Latin egregius "illustrious, select", literally, "standing out from the flock", which is from ex—"out of" + greg—(grex) "flock". Now it means something that is remarkably bad or flagrant.
    -- Guy—Guy Fawkes was the alleged leader of a plot to blow up the English Houses of Parliament on 5 Nov. 1605. The day was made a holiday, Guy Fawkes day, commemorated by parading and burning a ragged, grotesque effigy of Fawkes, known as a Guy. This led to the use of the word guy as a term for any "person of grotesque appearance" and then by the late 1800s—especially in the United States—for "any man", as in, e.g., "Some guy called for you." Over the 20th century, guy has replaced fellow in the U.S., and, under the influence of American popular culture, has been gradually replacing fellow, bloke, chap and other such words throughout the rest of the English-speaking world. In the plural, it can refer to a mixture of genders (e.g., "Come on, you guys!" could be directed to a group of men and women).
    -- Gay—Originally meant (13th century) "lighthearted", "joyous" or (14th century) "bright and showy", it also came to mean "happy"; it acquired connotations of immorality as early as 1637, either sexual e.g., gay woman "prostitute", gay man "womanizer", gay house "brothel", or otherwise, e.g., gay dog "over-indulgent man" and gay deceiver "deceitful and lecherous". In the United States by 1897 the expression gay cat referred to a hobo, especially a younger hobo in the company of an older one; by 1935, it was used in prison slang for a homosexual boy; and by 1951 and clipped to gay, referred to homosexuals.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_change (I don't usually cite from here but this instance was okay)

To my knowledge the definition of natural has not changed, but it certainly is misused. Kind of like "healthy". I cringe every time I read a post that says "healthy means to me ..."

I like the dictionary and rules it provides, but I can't stop anyone from ignoring it. But, it is still the answer the questions "what's unnatural about aspartame?" and "why do so many consider man-made is not natural" (both questions paraphrased)
  • JoeyIbz
    JoeyIbz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Right. And what is wrong with Aspartame again? Or any of those you listed for that matter? Besides that they are not "natural" whatever that means (nature is chemistry too you know).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430255/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964906/

I'm not saying you should never-ever take aspartame, just that (IMO) you should try to moderate consumption...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Wittengenstein is not amused
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's all fine and dandy to tell someone that too much fructose can cause negative health effects but if you can't tell someone how much is too much then the statement is useless.

He has explained multiple times why he thinks too much fructose is bad. It increases AGE and triglyceride levels. Theres a lot of research being done whether or not they cause certain diseases.

To mock him like he is some 'avoid sugar, it's toxic" nut (like OP) seems a bit too far. You could say while on a normal diet it's not harmful. Doesn't mean that his statement of the byproducts of glycation being bad is false.

It's an interesting topic actually, deserves better than "so how many apples will kill me".

I don't' usually get annoyed but this one is getting close. Why can't anyone on that side of the discussion tell me how many grams of fructose is too much? If you don't have the answer, just say so.

I'll even accept the hypothesis for the time being, that too much fructose is harmful to the human body. Now, at what level of intake does it become harmful?

I'll award over 9000 internet cookies if someone can give me a backed up number.
    Alan Aragon said 50g. It's not evidenced based, of course, but I don't think that matters since it's from Aragon and not Lustig.
    So, what’s the upper safe limit of fructose per day (all sources considered)? Again, this depends on a number of variables, not the least of which are an individual’s physical activity level and lean body mass. Currently in the literature is a liberal camp reporting that fructose intakes up to 90 grams per day have a beneficial effect on HbA(1c), and no significant effects are seen for fasting triacylglycerol or body weight with intakes up to 100 grams per day in adults [15]. The conservative camp suggests that the safe range is much less than this; roughly 25-40 grams per day [19]. Figuring that both sides are biased, the middle figure between the two camps is roughly 50 grams for active adults.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So that would be something like 5-7 apples.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I prefer Lucky Charms...dry.

I eat all the crappy cereal first and then enjoy the marshmallows.

Oh, I also eat at calorie maintenance of deficit (except when bulking) and have a healthy body weight so I don't have to worry about these "sky is falling" claims about sugar.

Lucky Charms are the BEST.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I saw OP's profile pic and got the urge to run from this thread... Dammit, why didn't I???
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Great, now I'm craving Fruit Loops and the store is closed. :grumble:

That's pretty much all I got out of the post too.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

1nat·u·ral

I see. So if nature creates a simple molecule like ethanol (CH3-CH2-OH) then that is natural ethanol. But if humans look at that, figure out its chemical make-up and regenerate it using chemical synthesis to make CH3-CH2-OH then that ethanol is NOT natural.

That would be an example I think of language failing us. Ethanol is ethanol.

Aspartame is created synthetically by chemical steps because its cheaper to do it that way, but methyl-esters of amino acid dipeptides exist naturally as well.

Similar to how human insulin is "natural" and yet any human insulin a diabetic injects into themselves was created from E.coli genetically engineered to produce human insulin, again because its cheaper and more practical to harvest human insulin en mass from GMO bacteria rather than the old method of using pig insulin harvested from huge vats of collected pig blood. Does that mean that that particular human insulin isn't natural?

Language gets confused if you stick hard to definitions rather than look at the purpose of the language. The purpose of referring to something as being natural is to say that it was naturally created, not to say that if humans find out how to recreate it it ceases to be natural.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Right. And what is wrong with Aspartame again? Or any of those you listed for that matter? Besides that they are not "natural" whatever that means (nature is chemistry too you know).

I'm not saying you should never-ever take aspartame, just that (IMO) you should try to moderate consumption...

Your first link is essentially just a letter to the editor from the author of the study that is your second link. The second link is a study carried out in 2007 in rats. I'm not saying that necessarily negates the results of said study but it is one study among many, many that conclude that aspartame has no associated toxicity.

Here is a meta analysis of all data collected on clinical studies of aspartame in humans that concludes that it is safe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Your first link is essentially just a letter to the editor from the author of the study that is your second link. The second link is a study carried out in 2007 in rats.

And the study only found significant results at a dosage of 100mg/kg. That's approximately 40 diet sodas per day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Your first link is essentially just a letter to the editor from the author of the study that is your second link. The second link is a study carried out in 2007 in rats.

And the study only found significant results at a dosage of 100mg/kg. That's approximately 40 diet sodas per day.

What?!? You mean that context and dose is important?

Who knew?!?