Mature White girls...

Options
I have two daughters age's 4 and 9, I just read an article that Young white girls are maturing at an all time high in the United States, this means their breasts are starting to grow "breast buds" as early as 7 years old. It also said by developing early it puts them at a higher risk of breast cancer. Is there any White Mom's with young daughters concerned with this? I think about all the hormones in foods these days, I try to provide healthy food for my family.

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I know I started to develop really young. I remember my mom calling my pediatrician really worried about me because I was only 7 or 8. I went in...turned out I was just starting to grow as you called them, "breast buds" I think that back then it concerned her.
  • MISTTIMI
    Options
    I know I started to develop really young. I remember my mom calling my pediatrician really worried about me because I was only 7 or 8. I went in...turned out I was just starting to grow as you called them, "breast buds" I think that back then it concerned her.

Looking at your age that was 18/19 years ago, that's interesting. Thanks
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'd do a little more research on this. I'm not suggesting it's wrong - I am suggesting that the correlation between development and disease may be slightly misrepresented.

For example, my best friend sent me an article today that showed all the variety of food colorings/dyes that may contribute to symptoms of ADHD. After looking at all the pictures and reading the items on those lists up to a point, what I almost immediately realized was that there was another ingredient common to ALL of the foods listed.

Sugar. We're talking hostess cakes, sugar cereals (that also happen to use dyes), pop-tarts, cookies, candy, soda..... I did not see a single thing on there that did not contain sugar - which we already know can hype kids up. Their bodies can't process it as quickly or efficiently and they get that wonderful little sugar high, and on top of ADHD, you've got a handful.

What I'm getting at with this is that sometimes, information just isn't presented with the whole picture in mind. I rarely take one article as a valid source of information.
  • Lillyofthevally
    Options
    The article I read was done between 2007 and 2009 I believe.
  • Lillyofthevally
    Options
    I'd do a little more research on this. I'm not suggesting it's wrong - I am suggesting that the correlation between development and disease may be slightly misrepresented.

For example, my best friend sent me an article today that showed all the variety of food colorings/dyes that may contribute to symptoms of ADHD. After looking at all the pictures and reading the items on those lists up to a point, what I almost immediately realized was that there was another ingredient common to ALL of the foods listed.

Sugar. We're talking hostess cakes, sugar cereals (that also happen to use dyes), pop-tarts, cookies, candy, soda..... I did not see a single thing on there that did not contain sugar - which we already know can hype kids up. Their bodies can't process it as quickly or efficiently and they get that wonderful little sugar high, and on top of ADHD, you've got a handful.

What I'm getting at with this is that sometimes, information just isn't presented with the whole picture in mind. I rarely take one article as a valid source of information.

Yes, when I read the ingredients in some foods, names I can't pronounce, I suddenly lose my appetite.
  • imustdecrease
    Options
    phyto estrogen..is in many foods. Our bodies are getting to much..high fiber diets (35+grams) helps to pull excess estrogen out.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, My daughter turned 10 in October and she is a 30B. She started developing when she was 8 y/o and I took her into her dr and he said it is normal. She also started her period in October. I think it is early as well. I wonder if it is the amount of meat she eats as she loves meat. With all the hormones in food, you think it would affect us as well. We don't eat much meat anymore, so we'll see. Also I did develop early, but not that early. She is about a year ahead of me in developing.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Because of the earlier onset of menses and earlier development of breast buds and the possible health implications (and the fact that I have a strong family history of breast cancer, among other things) our pediatrician told me absolutely NO meat or dairy products with any sort of hormones at all for my girls. She also told us to stay away from processed foods as much as possible for them. According to her beliefs and research, these things are leading factors in early onset menses and development. I trust her and try to follow her advise as closely as possible.My girls are still little, but I know that the national average is way younger than when I personally started to develop. I was born in 1984, didn't get a bra until 7th grade and didn't get my first period until the summer before 8th grade.
  • Lillyofthevally
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the infomation, very helpful!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    While I am concerned with the hormones in our food too, some girls started periods early and had breasts early way back when, but I suppose they didn't keep statistics back then. I was born in 1951, wore a bra (much to my embarassment at 32 DD) when I was 9 and started my period when I was 10. I was horrified. I think we should be equally concerned about all the stress our children live in today, because stress produces hormones too.
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 now and I can vividly remember that I was the ONLY girl in the 3rd grade that needed to wear a bra (not just a training bra....but a bra mind you)! I was mortified! I developed way earlier than everyone else and started my period then as well!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have read research that puts the blame on being too heavy in infancy due to formula feeding. That might explain why the phenomenon has existed so long too. There has also been separate research, I think, suggesting that breastfeeding girls helps protect them from breast cancer.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    This is extremely interesting...thank you for posting it. I started maturing young but it doesn't surprise me with all of the female issues I've had over the course of my life. I got my period the week of my 11th birthday and was wearing a bra for years before that.

The interesting thing is that I've done tons of research regarding autism because of my son. I have tons more to go but what interests me is the rise in autism in boys over the past 20 years. What doctors don't tell you is that many of the symptoms can be "cured" with a gluten free casein free diet. Cutting out sugars and yeast help clear out the gut which helps to clear the passage way to the brain and in the long run helps the child function properly. I would imagine it would work the same way with the girls we are seeing develop too early. There is a signal that is just plain wrong here.

PCOS is an insulin resistance. I'm not suggesting that all of these girls have PCOS but its interesting to think that perhaps they already are having an overload of sugar which is causing the wrong hormones to activate and thus causing the budding of womanhood. In PCOS we see woman who are overweight, big breasts, stomachs, eventually a testosterone rise...all because of sugar and hormones being off.

Very interesting indeed!
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had almost the opposite happen to me...I really disliked meat growing up and I developed the last of all my friends (just before my 15th birthday). I am not sure if there is a correlation there or if that is just a coincidence. I find it disturbing as well that girls are developing so young now! 8yo is young to have to explain what is going on to them :-/
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    I had almost the opposite happen to me...I really disliked meat growing up and I developed the last of all my friends (just before my 15th birthday). I am not sure if there is a correlation there or if that is just a coincidence. I find it disturbing as well that girls are developing so young now! 8yo is young to have to explain what is going on to them :-/

DUDE! So true. I was completely TRAUMATIZED when my mom explained what was happening to me. I balled! :sad: And I was 11! LOL! :o)
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I have a friend that has read (somewhere so i can't quote it) that a girls period usually comes around the weight of 45kgs approx 100lbs.

I thought that interesting.

Especially that I may have only been around 45kgs when I was 13 (I got mine April 1995).
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

DUDE! So true. I was completely TRAUMATIZED when my mom explained what was happening to me. I balled! :sad: And I was 11! LOL! :o)

my 11yo sister asked why I was complaining about my period and what it even was....SO GLAD i DIDNT HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT TO HER. I love not being the mother! :P Oh yeah when my mom explained it to me I thought it was the meanest thing ever. I mean, how could my body do that do me..is that even sanitary???? well....conclusion was..yes it can and no it isn't!
  • TaraMaria
    Options

my 11yo sister asked why I was complaining about my period and what it even was....SO GLAD i DIDNT HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT TO HER. I love not being the mother! :P Oh yeah when my mom explained it to me I thought it was the meanest thing ever. I mean, how could my body do that do me..is that even sanitary???? well....conclusion was..yes it can and no it isn't!

I felt so ripped off. Like my life was coming to an end. I couldn't understand when she explained to me that women everywhere had this going on for centuries and it was happening now. It happened to everyone. I remember not wanting to leave the house because who knew when it was happening and who it was happening too!!! I mean JEESH! CREEPY AND AWFUL!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to hear my mum explain it, and would tell her to be quiet when she tried! Then I got my period before leaving primary school (elementary school in the States) so she was right to be trying!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options