Challenge! Forgot my lunch!

Options
shawmutt
shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
One of two situations: I forgot my lunch, or I planned to go out somewhere healthy for lunch and was swamped at work. My option at that point is buy some overpriced crap at what we call our lunch counter. I want a better option.

I have access to a little12" locker, and I was thinking of stashing some emergency food in there. It has to be non-perishable but healthy. It also needs to be ready to eat. And not smelly, I am at work after all (so probably not canned fish of any sort).

I was thinking beef jerky, cans or jars of fruit, among other ideas.

What would you stash in there?

Replies

• djstatick
    djstatick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I keep raosted edamame in my desk. I also keep a small container of whey powder and a shaker bottle.
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have an emergency protein bars supply.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and a wrench. Good for snacking.

Ummmm, light syrup, sugar free fruit cups.

clif bars

peanut butter and nice crackers
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Protein bar.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    instant oatmeal, protein bars, almonds, peanut butter and crackers
  • mlm5537
    mlm5537 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I keep oatmeal, nuts and a few cans/cartons of soup in my desk drawer.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a satchet of oats so Simple porridge and a tin of soup.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Couple Quest bars, some portioned containers of almonds, 2 oz portion containers of turkey jerky, maybe some cups of applesauce.
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I keep oatmeal, trail mix, peanut butter and crackers in my desk. Sometimes heat-and-serve soup, if I find a kind I like with enough veg and low sodium. If I've been to Trader Joe's recently, I'll have a noodle bowl or two from them. Oh, and popcorn, for those looooong afternoons.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Emerald - Dry Roasted Almonds (no anything that has sugar coating of some kind)!
    Special K Crisps (I've only tried the strawberry 1 but they come in several flavors)
    Special K Moments (I like the coconut)
    Sugar Free Jello cups
    I don't know if you like dry cereal but what about putting a bag/box w/ a bowl that you can just use fingers to eat with and when youre done you can just rinse the bowl out.
    Or bring some dry cereal in a container every day.
    Or make up some little individual baggies with a variety of low sugar cereals so you can grab & go w/ it!
    Most stores carry the large snack size trail mix bags or the small 1's (usually at the checkout).
    We buy a box that comes with several individual packets/sleeves and it comes with Almonds, Raisins, m&m's etc in it (I don't usually eat the m&m's but theres not much in it anyways).
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Kudos to for thinking of this situation BEFORE it occurs.
    Have you spoken to the manager of the cafeteria about stocking some healthy items?
    You mentioned an office. Sometimes hot soup eaten at a desk is more aromatic than canned fish.
    Suggest
    Tuna snack kit, containing canned tuna salad and crackers
    Lo fat crackers
    Almonds or other nuts, providing no one in the vicinity has allergies
    Pre-made soup where you either add hot water or microwave
    Small cans of V8 or tomato juice and milk that doesn't require refrigeration
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I keep oatmeal packets, unsweetened apple sauce, nuts and tea in my desk. I would not worry about how your food smells, your co-workers can deal. IMO there are a lot worse offending meals people heat up at my job than tuna. Tuna packets are great and very easy, you can store with crackers and mayo packets. I also usually keep an emergency can of soup.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I always keep single serve soups, cans of baked beans, corn thins, muesli bars, and such in my "drawer pantry". I used to also keep mixed nuts, but I can't be trusted ;)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My office drawer contains quest bars, almonds, almond butter, packets of oatmeal, tins of canned chicken (hate the thought of it, but works in a bind), canned beans, soup, and chocolate.....well, just cos somedays ya need that 3pm chocolate call lol