weight loss from running. success?

Options
Can anybody share their results of weight loss from running? I've just started c25k and really need to see that it can work. So far I've run three times in three days (completed level one) and I just feel flabby! Help!

Replies

• lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I used C25 but never completed it due to phone problems but I kept up with the HIIT program on my own and I LOVED it. IDK about "weight loss" per se but it was a great form of exercise, and the only one I did for over 6 months, as it was the only one I really liked and easily stuck to. At my height of the running/ conditioning I had enough stamina for a half-marathon (about 12 miles) in 3 hours (perhaps not the best of timing, but I could job our 6 miles and come back lol).

I love running/ jogging and though I have lagged I recommend giving it a try beyond a few weeks. As you keep at it and your stamina improves you feel stronger and toner (well at least I did lol).
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Can anybody share their results of weight loss from running? I've just started c25k and really need to see that it can work. So far I've run three times in three days (completed level one) and I just feel flabby! Help!

You state that you feel flabby. Does that mean heavy or not toned up enough? Those are two different issues. Weight training builds muscle. Cardio (running) burns calories. If you are looking for more "tone" I would look into combining running and weight lifting.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I lost about 110 lbs through running over the course of a year and managed to keep it off by running. However, while I had some muscle, it was nearly what I wanted.

I now run 6 days a week and lift 3 days a week and find that I have better results from teh lifting than i do from running. I will always love running and will continue to do so but it's no longer my "weight loss" tool as I'm hoping lifting helps me tighten, strengthen, and lose a bit.

ETA: I want to add that when I started I wasn't going any particular distance but the last 50-70 pounds I was training for half and full marathons as well.
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I wasn't clear there! I feel heavy. I've been stuck around the 196lbs mark for months now and i can't seem to break through it for more than couple days. I just don't know whether running is the best exercise I can do to trim the fat or if there's something better I should be doing.

• jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 64 lbs and a big part of that was running, although I also used MFP to count calories. I'm now in the top end of healthy BMI but, I'm still "flabby". :ohwell: Running is great for weight loss, but I can say that most people aren't going to get toned from running alone.
  • fryfat
    fryfat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just keep the calories in perspective. I'm 180 lbs, so running a 5k burns about 400 calories. All that sweat can be wiped out with one serving of french fries, which is about ~500 calories. I'd need to run a 5k nine times in order to burn a pound's worth of calories.

That said, it makes dieting much, much easier when you get an extra 400 calories or so to work with. On the weekends I'll run 6 to 8 miles a day, just to give myself an extra 1,000 calories to have fun with.
  • AshleighCowie88
    Options
    You guys have done amazing! Congratulations! How far/fast do you generally run?
  • jessizona80
    Options
    I think the best exercise you can do, is one you like and can stick to! If you enjoy running, do that! But, yes... running is great for weight loss.

Good-luck!! You can do it!!!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

What kind of results did you expect in three days?
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

runsforcookies.com

Go there. Read it. Be inspired.

Also, be patient.
  • AshleighCowie88
    Options
    I didn't expect to see any difference. I thought I might feel a bit better though. My downfall is that I weigh daily so over the last three days I have put on weight. I don't know if this is through water retention? I just need some motivation that this running thing does actually work.
  • AshleighCowie88
    Options

runsforcookies.com

Go there. Read it. Be inspired.

Also, be patient.

Thank you :-)
  • jessizona80
    Options
    My pace ranges anywhere from just over 10 min/mile to almost 12 min/mile depending on how I feel, weather, etc. and I run anywhere from 1-3.5 miles 3-5 days a week. I try to do no less than 2 miles, but some days one mile is all I can get in.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I just don't know whether running is the best exercise I can do to trim the fat or if there's something better I should be doing.

Weight loss comes from having a negative calorie intake. (You use more calories than you eat) Running increase your calorie need therefore it can help you reach your goal. You're being unrealistic about the amount of time spent on this venture. It might take you more than three days to notice a difference.

Does running help keep you lean? Yes. It burns a heck of a lot of calories. You can always out-eat your exercise even if you're calorie goal is 5000 a day so make sure you're tracking your calories and not guessing.

Find an activity that you enjoy doing and do it almost religiously and you'll see great improvement in your health.
  • jcallejabjj
    jcallejabjj Posts: 33
    Options
    It works. Whatever you do, don't stop. You'll start to see progress. You may want to incorporate Fartlek ( Speed Play) into your running regiment. It'll make you sweat.
  • AshleighCowie88
    Options
    Thank you everybody. This is the first exerciser that I've found thati really enjoy so I'm keen to stick with it.

Hopefully I can post some progress pics in a couple months :-)
  • asimonep
    asimonep Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program in March, and I loved it. I run very slowly (4.1 mph), but it's certainly better than nothing ;) Now, I run and/or walk for an hour everyday, and it has helped a lot with losing weight. I've lost 8 pounds since starting, but now that I've added MFP to track my calories, I'm losing weight faster than before. Give it a couple of weeks, and I bet you'll see a pound or so come off.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You may want to incorporate Fartlek ( Speed Play) into your running regiment. It'll make you sweat.

Everyone knows that girls don't Fartlek.
  • jcallejabjj
    jcallejabjj Posts: 33
    Options
    You may want to incorporate Fartlek ( Speed Play) into your running regiment. It'll make you sweat.

Everyone knows that girls don't Fartlek.

Girls don't sweat either, right. lol
  • AshleighCowie88
    Options
    Should I run every day? Or have rest days? I walk to and from work every day which is a 2 mile round trip also.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!