Zero calorie drinks

Options
Just wondering, do you guys log zero calorie drinks like black coffee, diet soda, or green tea? Would it make a difference if I didn't?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yes, because these items still contain nutritional information (sodium, for example) that some people might want to keep track of.
  • kjflaherty
    kjflaherty Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I dont log mine. I dont keep track of anything but macros and calories, so I don't worry about it.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do, since I'm trying to keep my sodium level down and diet soda has some in it.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I personally do not - just drinking two cups of coffee in the morning every morning. Getting healthy for me means eventually getting off caffeine as a morning crutch to waking up. So when I'm ready to tackle that I might start logging for motivation.

Last time I was on a fitness kick, I ditched the coffee / caffeine and after that initial "this sucks" phase was far happier in the mornings being able to just get up and start moving rather than participating in my one hour ritual of sitting on my butt slowly drinking coffee. Instead I just got up and went for a run or did some other exercise. It's pretty amazing what an extra hour a day can do for a person.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I don' track sodium so no. If you need to pay attention to sodium for health reasons then you probably should.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I track sodium!
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm not really paying attention to sodium, so I shouldn't have to log it then? Thanks for the advice!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, do you guys log zero calorie drinks like black coffee, diet soda, or green tea? Would it make a difference if I didn't?
    Diet Pepsi for me on a daily basis...............................for the last 25 years. I do have regular Pepsi from time to time, but diet soda is my go to "sweet" on a daily basis. Keeps me sane.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    The sodium in most diet drinks is around 40 milligrams. Pretty small amount if someone is allowed 2,500 milligrams of sodium a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do, but for an entirely separate reason!

I become very dehydrated because I often neglect to drink enough or frequently enough.

By pre-logging, I hold myself accountable :-)

Kaela x
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't track my 1-2 cans of diet coke a day or my 2 pots of coffee or the 0 cal syrup I use in it. If I add milk to my coffee, which I rarely do - I will add the milk. Other 0 cal drinks that are 1 offs and not regular I will log, just to see :) but I generally leave some wiggle room in there for the regular stuff that is a normal part of my everyday
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything, caloric or not, so later I can go back and see what exactly I was doing that worked so well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't. I don't currently care about tracking sodium or caffeine (not even sure if it tracks caffeine) and although there are a small number of calories in, say, coffee, it's not enough to matter to me. If I were worried about sodium levels or tended to be over I might want a closer count or if I were trying to cut down on coffee, maybe.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ya... i log everything. zero calorie rockstars have a carb or too..... splenda really has 4 calories.... coffee has a couple calories.. like 2 i think..... the only thing i don't log is water. i log gum too. zero calorie butter spray has like .5 calorie per spray even tho it says 0.... everything adds up, but you don't have to be as neurotic as i am lol.