plan for increasing lifting

Options
I've started focusing more on weights and am following a program that has me lifting 5 days a week, and it's generally arms 3 days and legs 2 days.

I'm wondering how rapidly or slowly I should plan on increasing the amount of weight I'm lifting/working with? Should I increase the weight each week? More often? Less often?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Which program is it?

You can increase weights when you can do all required reps and sets safely and with correct form.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Only arms and legs? Look into better programs.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Only arms and legs? Look into better programs.

Agree. You should find something that works all body parts throughout the course of the week. Arms one day, back another, legs another, chest, and shoulders. Mix some abs in there and a rest day also.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Or you could have a look at something like Stronglifts 5 x 5 which will work your whole body and have you increasing your weights and gaining strength.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Or you could have a look at something like Stronglifts 5 x 5 which will work your whole body and have you increasing your weights and gaining strength.

^This. Do either stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength (They are essentially the same thing).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

^This. Do either stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength (They are essentially the same thing).
    indeedey

Also can toss in New Rules of Lifting.

Which everyone makes your pants... I mean... um. floats your boat.
  • OnTheGround
    OnTheGround Posts: 78
    Options
    I was just trying to be brief. Yes, it's chest, abs, etc etc. I wasn't really looking for a critique of my plan, but it does lack direction on if I should be increasing my weights and by how much/how often. That's what I'm asking, sorry if that wasn't clear. Is there a good, reliable rule of thumb for increasing weight?

Otherwise, I really LIKE it so I'd prefer to stick with it. It's the Jamie Eason 12 week plan that's on the BodySpace app. Really easy to use at the gym, and really is pushing my boundaries. I love it. But, today for example, I did underhand cable pull downs. I'm at 60lbs on the weight stack on these for 3 sets of 10 reps. Should I be aiming to work up to a certain weight level? Or aiming to work up by certain increments? Etc etc.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to be brief. Yes, it's chest, abs, etc etc. I wasn't really looking for a critique of my plan, but it does lack direction on if I should be increasing my weights and by how much/how often. That's what I'm asking, sorry if that wasn't clear. Is there a good, reliable rule of thumb for increasing weight?

Otherwise, I really LIKE it so I'd prefer to stick with it. It's the Jamie Eason 12 week plan that's on the BodySpace app. Really easy to use at the gym, and really is pushing my boundaries. I love it. But, today for example, I did underhand cable pull downs. I'm at 60lbs on the weight stack on these for 3 sets of 10 reps. Should I be aiming to work up to a certain weight level? Or aiming to work up by certain increments? Etc etc.

Usually the general rule of thumb on increasing weight for a program like this is once it is easy move up in weight. Using your example if that 3 sets of 10 could've been 3 sets of 12-15 then you should move up to 70 or more. You want that 8,9,10th rep to really push you to the brink.
  • OnTheGround
    Options

Usually the general rule of thumb on increasing weight for a program like this is once it is easy move up in weight. Using your example if that 3 sets of 10 could've been 3 sets of 12-15 then you should move up to 70 or more. You want that 8,9,10th rep to really push you to the brink.

Thanks.

I'm wondering if I should be aiming to be at certain numbers by certain dates? Or is that irrelevant?
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options

except starting strength is better
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

I made very little progress faffing around with split routines as a beginner.... then I did stronglifts and made a ton of progress in a very short time. Split routines are for intermediate and advanced lifters. Beginners should do a whole body workout, one that has progressive increases in weight, so you actually see your beginner "noob" gains and only switch to an intermediate programme when the noob gains stop. Doing a whole body routine for a few months while making no progress because the weights were too light does not make you an intermediate or advanced lifter. <--- which I learned the hard way lol!!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Thanks.

I'm wondering if I should be aiming to be at certain numbers by certain dates? Or is that irrelevant?

its irrelevant in the sense that everyone progresses at thier own pace.

generally people experience rapid strength gains if they are brand new to lifting. so you'd expect to be going up in weight by your third or fourth week if not sooner.

If your chosen rep range is like 10-12, and you can do 14+ with good form, its time to move up.

you already got that answer, not sure if you heard it in all the noise of everyone telling you what to do tho ;)
  • OnTheGround
    Options
    I should make it clear my goal is fat loss. I'm not looking to look like a figure model. I know I need to build muscle to burn fat, and to really be healthy long term, so that's why I went to this.

Also......I do my best, but I don't know how to deadlift and I don't have a gym partner to show me. :(
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I should make it clear my goal is fat loss. I'm not looking to look like a figure model. I know I need to build muscle to burn fat, and to really be healthy long term, so that's why I went to this.

Also......I do my best, but I don't know how to deadlift and I don't have a gym partner to show me. :(

Can the people at your gym show you? I have no friends at all but the gym staff were pretty happy to teach me, and they'll likely be trained too. Even asking strangers to check your form, if you're confident enough.
    ETA: and YouTube is quite good if you want to learn the basics of form.
  • OnTheGround
    Options

Can the people at your gym show you? I have no friends at all but the gym staff were pretty happy to teach me, and they'll likely be trained too. Even asking strangers to check your form, if you're confident enough.

I've been youtubing deadlifts but I really feel like I need someone to guide me through it in real life. The gym I go to (Crunch) has personal trainers for hire, so I don't know if theyd' show me stuff for free?
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I've been youtubing deadlifts but I really feel like I need someone to guide me through it in real life. The gym I go to (Crunch) has personal trainers for hire, so I don't know if theyd' show me stuff for free?

Ask strangers first if they don't seem too busy.
    If the trainer doesn't have a client and seems in a good mood, you could always ask if they'll quickly show you - there's a staff member at my gym who is a trainer but has shown me stuff in the past and checks up on me occasionally. :)
    Mostly I have learned that even if I am afraid of everyone/look a bit of a fool for a couple of minutes, everyone is friendly and helpful. Don't be afraid to request advice.