Morningstar Garden Veggie Patties

Options
Hey everyone, I've been wanting to try the morningstar garden veggie patties. I thought they would be a nice low-calorie lunch option. What are your thoughts? What are they like? Are thy tasty? Worth it?

Thanks!!

Replies

• husstler
    husstler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy them, especially with a little bit of Dijon mustard and tomato slices.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I only eat the Morningstar Grillers Original... 130 calories. They also make a bigger one called Grillers prime that are bigger and 180 calories but the original is good for me. I microwave for 45 seconds, then flip over, then 45 seconds on the other side... perfection! I put mine on a thin bun, ketchup, mustard, lettuce & tomato... YUMMY. Even my 2 year old son now asks for "burgers."

They make different varieties but the Grillers tastes more like a 'regular' burger and are better than Boca, in my opinion.

I recently bought the maple flavored veggie sausage patties too... and they are excellent!!! I take one of those, (80 calories), boil 2 eggs and then remove the yolk... and put the 'sausage' patty and 2 egg whites on a thin bun... makes an excellent breakfast sandwich with a side of fruit.

Good luck! Try them, you won't be disappointed... the burgers come 4 to a box and the sausage is 6 to a box.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    They're kind of high in sodium for me - 350mg per patty, and they don't fill me up. I'm always pretty dissatisfied. They might be okay with a big salad or something like that, but certainly not by themselves or with a small side. I've discovered that homemade veggie burgers are way better than anything you will buy from the freezer section of the store, and they're not that hard to make. I'll make a big batch and put most of them in the freezer, then pull them out as I need them. Here are a few recipes if you're interested (you can find a ton more by googling homemade veggie burgers, black bean burgers, lentil burgers, etc.):

black bean burger recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Black-Bean-Veggie-Burgers/Detail.aspx
    black bean and lentils: http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-black-bean-and-lentil-burgers-202108
    lentil burgers: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/lentil-burgers.php
  • Tara_Alesia
    Tara_Alesia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Honestly, they don't taste much different than the real thing. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried them years ago. I should probably purchase them again. Working on my kitchen, still.. haha.
  • JustynsMommy
    Options
    i think they are REALLY bland. if you throw a tomato with em and some lettuce and condiments they are better. themselves though when they are cooking smell like wet dog. but honestly they taste alright i was really surprised.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think meat eaters like Morningstar and Boca more than vegetarians do, in my experience, and I think it's because they are close in taste and texture to the real thing. I can't stomach Boca burgers because they're too close to ground beef texture for me. Then again, maybe it's just me. :happy:

As someone who is really disgusted by ground beef, I like Gardenburgers much, much better. I think Morningstar's are lower in calories than Gardenburger though.

Like someone above said though, they're all high in sodium. If you can make your own, that would be much better. I need to try that myself.
  • crazycat327
    Options
    I LOVE Morningstar patties!

I use chunks of the garden veggie or breaded 'chicken' patties to top my salads. The veggie patties are lower in calories than the breaded one but I love the 'chicken'!

They also make the Meal Starter Crumbles which I use quite a bit. 1 package = 1 lb of ground meat which is perfect for chili, spaghetti sauce or quick pasta dishes.

I'm not vegan, I just love how quick and easy it is-plus it tastes great!