Falling Off the Bandwagon

Options
I've been struggling to lose around 20-30lbs for a couple years now. I've bounced between diets and pills and grueling exercise regimes and strict calorie intake but it seems like as soon as I start making some progress, I stumble and lose everything I worked so hard for. I have yet to find something that really works for me, but I refuse to give up. I'm so tired of this cycle, especially when I get so close to hitting my goals. I need to stop blaming the people around me for holding me back when in reality it is entirely my responsibility to take care of my body, regardless of how unaccomodating my setting is.

Have any of you struggled with the constant dance of one step forward 2 steps back? How long did it take to overcome it, and what switched in your head to change the cycle?
If you can relate at all, I'd love if you sent a friend request so we can try to keep on the right path together. :)

Replies

• Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Still struggling with it I have gained and lost more pounds than I care to remember I went from 275 to 190 my goal was 180 I fell off the wagon and put it all back talk about depressing actually I have repeated that trip twice and I am on my way to get back down again but god willing I hope not to fall again.
    Jim
  • tribley
    tribley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you are having trouble staying motivated and are looking for support, I help to run support groups through Facebook. We have lots of people in there that are improving themselves and helping everyone else to stay accountable. We teach about proper nutrition and how to exercise. I'd be happy to chat with you about it if that is something that you're looking for. If you just want in to a group, I can get you set up with that as well!
  • aquagurl12
    aquagurl12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling still. I started a new job a month and a half ago. I am over 200 pounds. I want to weigh 115 or 120. Now that I can manage my own budget, I need to stop eating from stress. I walk to work five days a week. That's at least 45 minutes a day. Walk in the park on one of my days off on the walking trail for two hours. two hours is a total walk time back home. I have a sensitive stomach and ibs/ gerd acid reflux. So eating is a bit difficult. Digestive problems :(
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I need to stop blaming the people around me for holding me back when in reality it is entirely my responsibility to take care of my body, regardless of how unaccomodating my setting is.

I hear ya! I like blaming my family for constantly wanting to eat out all the time! Or buying bread (my weakness). It's not their fault I overeat but I should be able to control myself. Portion control. Everything in moderation. I'm still learning everyday!
    Have any of you struggled with the constant dance of one step forward 2 steps back? How long did it take to overcome it, and what switched in your head to change the cycle?

I started at 180lbs, lost weight and got down to 115lbs last June. Decided to lose some more, got down to 110 in October. Managed to maintain up until February but then I kind of lost control and fell off the wagon with horrible eating habits and felt the weight slowly creeping back up. So now I'm back up to 119lbs. :grumble:

Since April I've been on a deficit (I used to eat at maintenance before) and started exercising end of April. I have been slipping up though. It's like I work out hard but I end up overeating and negating all my hard work. Exactly what you said, "one step forward, two steps back." It's like I set myself up for failure!! :explode:

I'm still fighting to get back to my comfortable weight!! :smile:

We can do this!
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I like blaming my family for constantly wanting to eat out all the time! Or buying bread (my weakness). It's not their fault I overeat but I should be able to control myself. Portion control. Everything in moderation. I'm still learning everyday!

Oh man, bread is totally my weakness too. My boyfriend is constantly wanting to go out for dinner and recently I've really had to sit him down and tell him that I need his support 100% because this is so important to me, and so far so good. :)

Congrats on reaching your goal though!! I don't know what it's like to be much thinner than I am now. I'm not overweight but I've never been fit, so for me that makes it even more daunting. From what I hear maintenance is just as hard as losing the weight! If you've done it once, you can totally do it again. How tall are you? I'd love to hear a little more about your journey and help support you along the way!
  • kristinashelton
    Options
    Many of us will struggle with this for the rest of our lives. It took me a long time to admit that I had a problem with food, and that my weight and my health was something that I needed to focus on for the rest of my life. I have done all the fad things, gained and lost, and at the end of the day I am not any healthier or happy when crash dieting. I finally realized that I needed to love and take care of myself the way that I am taking care of others in my life. It is hard to take time for yourself, and I felt guilty at first. I do T25 for my workouts, its only 25 mins a day, I can always make time for that. I try to make healthier choices knowing that I will never be perfect, I don't "diet" any more, I have changed my way of thinking, and making changes that I can live with for the rest of my life. You can do it!
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Oh man, maintenance was much harder. I think the pressure that comes along with it makes it 100x harder. Especially when people have seen you smaller, some people right away expect that you'll gain it back and the pressure from that is agh, frustrating. Lol That's what I'm dealing with now and thank you for the congratulations! Lol I still have a few more pounds to go before I get back down to my comfortable weight. Sigh.

Oh, I'm 5'3" btw. :)
  • aquagurl12
    aquagurl12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get on track. I work in a call center so hours vary. I lost weight before but gained all back plus more when I lost my good paying job in 2008. Need better jobs, I'm not cut for office jobs.