Budgeting calories weekly vs daily?

Options
jarbatz
jarbatz Posts: 29 Member
Anyone have success working with a weekly calorie budget where calories fluctuate day to day, versus eating the same amount of calories every day?

Weekends are tough for me so this week I am trying to stick with a weekly budget.....curious if anyone else used this approach? If a calorie is a calorie, it shouldn't matter how they are spread out, right?

TIA for any responses!

Replies

• Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1229591-how-do-you-feel-about-a-once-a-week-cheat-day .

The bottom line is, many people successfully budget (for weight loss and maintenance) on a weekly basis.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel it works better, both for my mind and for my body. Obviously mentally it is easier to be able to enjoy a part or a date night dinner without being SO restrictive. And it also encourages me to enjoy myself in moderation because I am still tracking and still trying to keep my calories under a certain number, its just a larger number than the day before. (Unlike when I just go "Screw it!" and eat without tracking).

But body-wise, I feel like it works better. It keeps my body guessing. It means I eat different types of foods all the time instead of falling into that monotonous diet trap of eating the same foods all the time. And also, I personally feel I get a metabolism boost (and an energy boost) the few days after a splurge day.

But it does mean that on "no-cheat" days you are eating even less than now, to save up those calories. So.... its probably not for everyone!

I feel like its been the secret to my long-term weightloss. I'm not moving as rapidly, but I am doing it in a way that it actually works for my life.
  • Jesseca118
    Jesseca118 Posts: 26
    Options
    this is what i do as well and it is working for me
  • Julem22
    Julem22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good idea...is there a way to change a setting on MFP to do that, or do you guys do it in your head?
  • hedean
    hedean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How exactly does this work? I mean because MFP is set up just for daily goals right? I think this sounds neat but would you just add up your calories for every week and see if they are within the amount of calories you're allowed times 7?
  • Gaaya3
    Gaaya3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do this. It's the only way I can still go out and have fun with my friends. On the app, in your diary, if you click on the pie chart and then click on "weekly" (at the bottom) you will see your weekly calorie intake. It's a bar graph with each day of the week and an average for the week. The average is calculated based on all the days that you have logged at least one food. So today my average is based on two days (Sunday and Monday). At the bottom of this graph, the app tells you how many calories you have left for the week. I use this to figure out how much I still have to use that week. At the end of the week, I just make sure that my 7-day average is around my daily target set by MFP. I hope that helps.
  • jarbatz
    jarbatz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do this. It's the only way I can still go out and have fun with my friends. On the app, in your diary, if you click on the pie chart and then click on "weekly" (at the bottom) you will see your weekly calorie intake. It's a bar graph with each day of the week and an average for the week. The average is calculated based on all the days that you have logged at least one food. So today my average is based on two days (Sunday and Monday). At the bottom of this graph, the app tells you how many calories you have left for the week. I use this to figure out how much I still have to use that week. At the end of the week, I just make sure that my 7-day average is around my daily target set by MFP. I hope that helps.

This exactly. Except I just did the math in my calculator. I am bar-graph challenged. :laugh: So last night I calculated my weekly calorie goal, subtracted my calories from Sat & Sun and then divided that by 5 (Mon - Fri). I weigh in Sat. AM. If I stick to the daily calorie goal for M-F, I will have still consumed a total deficit of 3500 calories, or 1 lb.

Theoretically it sounds perfect. We will see what the scale says on Sat AM.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Anyone have success working with a weekly calorie budget where calories fluctuate day to day, versus eating the same amount of calories every day?

Weekends are tough for me so this week I am trying to stick with a weekly budget.....curious if anyone else used this approach? If a calorie is a calorie, it shouldn't matter how they are spread out, right?

TIA for any responses!
    Yes, absolutely! Things are always happening on the weekends & I want to enjoy myself & not worry. So I eat very very low cal's. from Mon. - Thurs., I eat all my cal's on Fri. (total cal's. minus 500 cal. deficit) & then Sat. & Sun. I eat whatever, whenever & I've had great success doing this.
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to switch from a daily calorie goal to weekly, so I can enjoy weekends or a night out with friends easier. Looking forward to hearing about anyone who has had success with this approach.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to switch from a daily calorie goal to weekly, so I can enjoy weekends or a night out with friends easier. Looking forward to hearing about anyone who has had success with this approach.
    I've been doing this quite successfully. After a fun day (or a fun weekend) I tighten up for 2-3 days - work out extra 20 minutes and cut out a scoop of ice cream - and it all works out.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I normally stick to a daily goal, but every now and then I switch over to a weekly one. I started with purely daily budgeting because I was trying to discipline myself to some extent with respect to my eating habits and so forth. But now that I have all that under control, I prefer a weekly goal - more wiggle room. So I'm thinking of switching over to weekly budgeting permanently.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How exactly does this work? I mean because MFP is set up just for daily goals right? I think this sounds neat but would you just add up your calories for every week and see if they are within the amount of calories you're allowed times 7?

I just do it in my head. When I eat less during the week I look at it as a "credit" that I pay myself back on the weekend. Better week = more fun weekend! Double bonus!

And then I'm still at my calorie goal for the week while having fun.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    I definitely focus on my weekly goals more! I try to stay within close range on my daily goals, but some days I just don't have much of an appetite. At first I would force myself to eat when I wasn't really hungry, but now I just don't worry about it... I let myself make up the difference on those days where I'm feeling totally ravenous. It tends to feel less like a "diet" when I eat according to my hunger rather than a number on my phone.
  • tendzz
    tendzz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I did this I would eat like a pig for 1 day and starve for the 6 others :P

That said, for things like going out to the bar with friends and going a "little over" I definitely restrict myself a little bit more throughout the week in an attempt to compensate, especially when you cant attach a number to what the night cost you. So I tend to overestimate rather then underestimate.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I like to do this for packaged foods. Ex: The box of almond milk that I will use in my coffee this week. I just throw 140 into a day instead of trying to guess if I'm drinking 25-50 cals a day. This helps me not underestimate my calories as well.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Weekly for me.

Some days I go over, some I'm way under. It balances out. Generally make a rule to not go hungry and not deprive myself. Your body doesn't literally run on a 24-hour*reset* cycle. It's just convenient for humans to measure and keep things in check.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do it. If it works for you, go for it.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    I like to do this for packaged foods. Ex: The box of almond milk that I will use in my coffee this week. I just throw 140 into a day instead of trying to guess if I'm drinking 25-50 cals a day. This helps me not underestimate my calories as well.

That's actually a really good idea... :indifferent:
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For those of you wondering how to check, both the website and and the app can show a weekly report of calories.

On the website, go to reports then choose net calories from the drop down.

In the app, go to nutrition in the menu, then tap weekly at the bottom.
  • mdove3411
    mdove3411 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump... I am currently eating 1200 calories a day during the week... my husband has weekends off so we take them off from "dieting" I eat what I want BUT I don't eat just because I know I can.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!