Why do people say that I don't need to lose more?

Options
2»

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    People have an inherent need to negate everything?
    Yep, that's it. At least as far as people around me are concerned.

So true. When I catch myself doing this, I need to kick myself.
  • DebSM2
    DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    People are used to seeing you bigger. They think they are being nice. When they get used to you at this weight, the comments will stop. As others have said, just say "thanks" or "my doctor is monitoring my progress" and leave it at that.

I used to get lot of comments like that but I have been maintaining for almost 5 years now and do not get the "too skinny" comments anymore.

Maintaining a 202 lb. loss for 5 years? WOW!

I have had some tell me the same...just because of the difference so far I am sure. Still technically obese, still over 200 lbs. I'll stop when I'm done!!
  • domansell
    domansell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Generally I think it is designed as a compliment on your current appearance, particularilly from people that do not know you very well.

However, in my experience some of my nearest and dearest mean it. I've just lost 10 kg (before joining MFP) and each time I see particular family members there are many comments along that vein (and lots of coffee shop visits and resturants etc), I was the 'fat child in my family' and it made them feel warm an cosy just being better then me. So I am making them uncomfortable, and much more aware of their upholstered shape.

If it's meant as a negitive, you'll know these people well, and won't take to long to work out the signs (feeding you up, keeping you stationary etc...) If they are doing that, don't elaborate, you'll just give them the oppitunity to get inside your head.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd give a general answer like "thank you, I'm nearly there."