The C25K Challenge

Options
Hey Everyone,
I am new to this site, so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place.
I am starting the C25K Challenge. Well, I just finished Week 1 Day 1 actually. I thought since it was "couch" to 5k, that the first day would be extremely easy. I was very incorrect in my assumption! I was sure that my heart was going to burst out of my chest by the time I finished it. I know I should be proud that I did finish it, but I'm actually quite discouraged because of how difficult it was. Shouldn't the very first day be a breeze, or am I even more out of shape than I thought I was? I did Day 1 on a treadmill. My walking speed was 2; my running speed was 4.
I have never been a runner. I have always believed that my body wasn't capable of running long distances. I remember The Mile Run back in Elementary school being one of the most humiliating experiences of my childhood. I guess I shouldn't say "one of" since it was torture on a yearly basis.
That being said, I would LOVE to be a runner. I envy people who feel miserable if they don't get their run in every day. I want that. That's why I've started this program. I need help though.
How long does it take to start to enjoy running?
Will this program get easier or should I just throw in the towel now?
Any tips or advice are greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
Gizmo

Replies

• sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i'm on week 3 of the program and i can say it does get a bit easier, i was like you, i thought week 1 day 1 would be easier than it was, i put it down to the fact i was more out of shape than i knew

but i carried on, day 2 was still hard but a little easier, day 3 was a little easier than that, just keep at it and don't let it beat you

i've had a few days when i've got to the end and felt defeated but afterwards i know that i finished the session and that is all that matters
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I remember being in elementary and middle school and having to walk the mile while others ran. I never thought I would be a runner, even when I started C25K. I actually started the program to lose more weight, but I discovered this: if you love running, you are capable of running; you just have to build your body up to it.

There were several days I had to repeat, and I remember the discouraged feeling, but please don't let it get you down and make you quit! When the program is over, you'll be able to look back on how far you've come. When I started it, I couldn't run for thirty seconds without feeling like I'd die. Now I run 5K four times a week and have my first race in less than a week!

Just push through. Your body will change and so will your mentality. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There is a C25K group that you could look at, and review the advice there. Most of the traffic is motivation for people currrently in the plan but a few more experienced runners contribute as well. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

I'd also suggest reading through some of the earlier posts in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running.

Personally I loathe treadmill running, and in the absence of knowing the model I have no idea how those speeds compare. I owuld suggest doing the programme outside if at all possible. Notwithstanding that it's likely tha easing your running pae a little may help, until you're more experienced.

The main thing you're looking for in the C25K plan is working up your running time, so if you need to slow down to do that, then slow down. Once you can run for 30 minutes continuously then you can work on speed.

I started about 14 months ago, I'm now in the process of working up to Half Marathon distance, so it certainly works.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing c25k as well! I'm on week 2 at the moment, and while that isn't very far into it, that is a big achievement for me as it's the first time I've progressed to the second week - the two previous times I started I found week one so difficult I gave up!

The one GAME CHANGING piece of advice I had this time was not to take 'run' literally! - Jog slowly, and I mean slowly - the advice from the creators is something like if you feel like you could be going slower, you're going too fast! I think the aim is to build up stamina with jogging for certain amounts of time and then work on speed when you finish. I'm sure when I do my 30min run at the end of the program it won't actually be 5k in distance, but I plan to work out a 5k route after that and gradually build my speed up each time until I can do the distance in 30mins.

I run outside in a forest area but I've heard doing it on the treadmill is supposed to be easier physically, but personally I think actually moving along a path, having tree roots and puddles to negotiate and scenery to distract me and being able to set my own pace without having to change things on a machine is much easier. But different strokes for different folks and all that!

I tend to go slowly for the majority of the jogging sections, and then pick up pace on the last 1 or 2 sections as then it doesn't matter if I completely tire myself out, but do what works for you! And good luck!
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 and doing day 2 later this afternoon. Yes, the first day was hard, but I managed to soften that by walking daily for a few months before I even heard about this. I never thought I would get through week 1 but I did. I also never thought I would get through Sundays walk/run but I did. Just keep with it and walk on your days off
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your C25K!

I did 2 runs and my knees gave out! I quickly remembered that jogging is not for me :-)

Kaela x
  • nehmon
    nehmon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi,

i never been a runner too, i never ever imagined i would be one. Worst i laughed at people running.
    Today i'm on week#8, in some hrs i will be doing day #1 of my last week.
    It's a very helpfull app. I run three times a week and enjoying it completely, i even catch myself some days thinking of going out and run even it's not the day for it.

Keep on going, dont give up.

As for me, i will have my first run competition ever in juin the 20. It's a city run, who ever thought i will be doing that :-)

Good Luck for you and most of all, we are all different, so our experiences might not match yours. My advice, go ahead and write your own story :-)
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am working on this as well. I have had to do the first week repeatedly. Not because of breathing or heart issues, but because I feel like my shins are going to fracture into a thousand pieces. I had to start with fast walking rather than running. I can now run (easy jog) half of each day of week one. I refuse to give up. It may take me months, but I will get through it and become a runner.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know it does get easier. I started running with C25K 2 years ago and struggled. I now run 3 or 4 miles easily and running 3 Half marathons this year although I'm still very slow.

One tip I found was to go really slow at first. You might walk quicker than you run but your will get faster once your body gets used to it. The rule of thumb is that you should be able to talk as you run otherwise you are going to fast.
  • dasexiimommy
    Options
    I started this program awhile ago and gave up and I recently started it again. When I did Week 5 Day 3 the (the 20 minute run) I thought theres no way Im going to finish this but I decided to see how long I could last. I didnt watch the clock I paced myself and before I knew it she called out half way there. That made me focus even harder and when she said you have 1 minute left my eyes filled up with tears and before I knew it tears were running down my face....I DID IT!!! When I first started I thought I was going to die but I kept pushing!!!! Keep pushing you will get there!!!!
  • jenniferevon
    Options
    I love the phrase, "it doesn't get easier, you just get better." That is what I like to compare this too. I was ashamed of myself when I first started. Really, I couldn't even run for 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to die and sometimes I couldn't complete the full 60 seconds. That was a serious motivator for me. You may or may not end up loving to run. Some very athletic people HATE running. Once you get better at it, then you can decide whether you want to keep chugging along. There are many other options for cardio. Honestly, if you're doing this for weight loss, HIIT is better than running for really long distances. Best of luck!
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am a graduate of the C25K app and I would highly recommend to start our slowly. A "run" isn't a full out bore run until you ready to collapse. Just start by jogging. You will see your ability increase as your progress. You can also repeat a week if necessary. Remember any speed is faster than someone on the couch.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Try running outside, much more enjoyable
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I could never run the mile in High School, hated running. Then I needed to work out on the cheap so started the C25K. I now run 5ks regularly and I have run a 9k and a half marathon. It is pretty amazing, never thought I would do any of this
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    A lot of good points already. If you aren't already able to walk for a solid 30 minutes, you'll want to work up to that, first. I started with C25K three years ago and got to week 5 before I had to stop and modify the plan. I'm still learning to enjoy running. Just last week I finally ran 5k in thirty minutes. I still don't always love running while I'm doing it, but I do miss the runs I don't take. If you're struggling to run faster than you walk, I'd recommend running at the exact same speed as your walk. Just make it a running motion. Speed comes later. I wouldn't have listened to that recommendation 3 years ago, but I wish someone had said it, all the same.
  • jstout913
    jstout913 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, same attitude, I always doubt that I can run, I have to get that out of my head. I did the exact same speeds with the exception of walking, I am a walker and walk fast but on day one I did 2.5 walking, 4.0 jogging. It busted my butt, but I am ready to go again today. Eventually I will do it outside, but for now I am starting on the treadmill.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A few things. 1) I was the same as you, never could run the mile in school, always humiliated, coming in last or nearly last in my class. 2) I started with C25K almost 2 years ago, since that time I have completed numerous 5Ks, 10Ks, a half marathon, a marathon, and 2 triathlons. I do not have a "runner's body". 3) It will get easier. 4) Get outside, it will completely change your running, not only your posture and form, but the muscles you use, and how you pace yourself. 5) Slow down a bit. The first few weeks are about putting in the time to build a base, after that I believe you have time or distance options. Use the distance options, and run the pace you need to run to complete the distance. Speed will come later. EDIT: When I started I was confusing 'running' with sprinting. Think 'jogging' - though that is a dirty word and don't get me started on all the reasons why. 6) When it gets hard, just remember, you are just putting one foot in front of the other.
  • smithol
    smithol Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, don't be afraid to slow down. I used to walk faster than I jog now, but I know I can work on speed once I'm able to build up some endurance. I also prefer jogging outdoors so that I can keep a natural pace. One thing my dad always told me was not to worry about lifting your feet too far off the ground--my "jog" was more of a slow shuffle when I first started.

Also, I was nervous about starting the C25K program again (for the 3rd time!), so I added an extra week at the beginning where I did 30 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking. Remeber--this is your program. You can modify it however you need to. I'm not afraid to duplicate sessions or cut my jog off early if something doesn't feel right. You have to do what's best for your body.
  • disco_heat
    disco_heat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've just started on the C25K challenge, began at week 2 as have been doing circuit training for the last 4 weeks and figured it can't be as brutal as that! The session was fine itself, but I found that the back of my ankle was sore throughout - it's been quite stiff on and off for the past 4 or 5 months. Not sure if I should be running through the pain?!
  • ThatLadyJ86
    ThatLadyJ86 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that I've found this thread. I recently started the C25K program also. I'm currently on Week 1Day 3, but it's kind of got me intimidated so I honestly thought about quitting (which I know I shouldn't). I actually want to train my body to run because I have a fascination with it, but I didn't realize just how out of shape I was. Reading all of your stories have motivated me and I think I will go ahead and make today my Day 3. I will do week 1 over though and hope that it goes better. Don't give up because I'm not going to!!!