No clothes that fit...now what?

Options
So this is a great problem, right? Now that I am almost half way to my goal weight, NOTHING FITS! I am so used to my clothes being tight and uncomfortable. But now, my clothes are baggy and falling off! These ill fitting clothes are hiding my weight loss! I am reluctant to buy new things because I am not sure what my ultimate size will be. I hope to meet my goal weight in 2011.

So, what did you do about clothes during your journey???

God Bless!

1153361.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Buy new ones!! It feels so good to go down a few sizes, Plus, people really notice and comment once you transition into a smaller sized wardrobe. Congrats!
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with that. I recently dropped quite a bit of weight all at once, so I'm running out of clothes. My husband kept saying we should go shopping and get me some new clothes, but I didn't want to do that until I reached my goal weight. But who knows how long that could be?? However I recently had a nice surprise, my mother-in-law asked my husband what I needed (for our 5th anniversary) and he told her CLOTHES! So she got me a Marshalls gift card! So now I can go get myself some clothes. Maybe you should ask people for money. haha. Just kidding. But if you're not opposed to thrift stores, you could go thrift shopping and just get a couple of key items to get you by until you reach your goal. It's an idea anyways. : /
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    well for now i had multiple sizes in my closet...so i have plenty of jeans and shirts...my problem is im gonna have to buy smaller dress pants for work....guess i will buy a few things to get me through each time i go down sizes...till i reach goal then will have to buy a new wardrobe....funny thing is underclothes have to be bought.....oh well its a great problem to have...congrats and good luck on meeting your goal in 2011!!!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Buy new clothes of course, but you could always go to a resale shop. That is what I did. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on transition clothes so I didn't.

Congrats on being halfway there!
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i can relate to this post cause this week i wore a few shirts that actually fit and more people said something about my weight loss where before no one said anything...its an awesome feeling!
  • rumyra
    rumyra Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeh congratulations, I'm just starting to watch what I eat as I've found all my clothes are too tight!

I agree with andreahanlon go for a good shop - it'll make you feel really good about yourself and it's a great reward for the weight loss.

I also have a sewing machine which is invaluble when it comes to adjusting clothes, it's pretty easy to take a inch in of seams on a top. If you don't have a sewing machine most dry cleaners these days offer a clothes alteration service.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    well I went to a 2nd hand store, and got some pants 2 sizes smaller. I couldn't stand my pants constantly falling down and my belt was too big too. And it felt so good to say Im in a size 12 now, not 16! but I didn't want to spend money on new clothing and have to buy another size in a few months. So the 2nd hand store was the trick. I still felt great, looked great, and hardly cost anything out of pocket.
  • glc44
    glc44 Posts: 1
    Options
    Buy a few items.i love yoga pants
  • ckbutler
    ckbutler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thrift store is a GREAT idea!! I am a stay at home mom and I don't really want to spend alot of money on clothes. Thanks for the great ideas!!! =)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Have you all never watch What Not To Wear? Don't wait until you reach your goal weight to buy new clothes if they are hanging off you. Go get some new ones. Especially right now with all the after Christmas sales. My work switched back to business casual from casual after the Holidays and I had to get a whole new wardrobe as I was buying a pair a jeans for each size I went down. I went to the outlet and hit up the after Christmas sales last weekend and got 1 dress, 2 pairs of shoes, 6 pairs of pants, and 8 tops for $300. That was with my splurging at Banana Republic on the dress and one pair of pants that equaled $75.
    Places like New York and Company and Anne Taylor are having great sales.
  • carolyne2
    carolyne2 Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi,

I have just started a thread that maybe the answer to the problem of no clothes that fit, have a look and see what you think.

Thread is of course no clothes that fit lol.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    EBAY! In the past I've sold clothes that no longer fitted & bought smaller sizes. Big sizes sell really well!
    Charity shops are another option. If you just get a couple of basics, black trousers, jeans that sort of thing they can serve until you're ready for a whole new wardrobe.
  • ckbutler
    ckbutler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How exciting does "new wardrobe" sound?! HAHA!! Nothing crazy, but things I like and feel good wearing. I have always shopped for what fit, looked decent, and hid me. Never for what I wanted. Gives me lots of motivation to keep at it!!

1153361.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Sewing machine = cheap and fast tailoring. Get a shirt that fits you and put it over the one that's too big, and mark around it then sew and chop! Insta-better fitting.

I LOVE the thrift store idea too.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores rock!
  • fattydarren
    Options
    It has to be new clothes at every step of the way...

There is nothing better than having to shop for a smaller size, and seeing that you look good in it... the confidence is simply amazing!!

Its not quite as good for us blokes, sizes are simply Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large..... :-p

Oh well, im just working my way from Large to Medium, and I cant wait until I can get back into those slim fitted tops again!!!!