One arm much weaker than the other... exercise suggestions?

Options
Hi, bit of an odd question I suppose...

So, about 3.5 years ago I broke my right arm badly and damaged my radial nerve (upper arm) which meant all the the nerves down to my fingers were not working and I had an operation to get a permanent metal plate fitted (bionic woman huzzah! :glasses: ) I couldn't move any part of my arm/wrist/hand/fingers at first and had to wait a couple of weeks to see if it would be paralysed or not! (That was not a fun xmas/new years) Thankfully that didn't happen and I had physio for about 6 months after and got all my nerves/muscles working normally again. So, medically that arm and its nerves/muscles are fine and definitely healed fully now, but my right arm is DRAMATICALLY weaker than the left one.

Since then I have tried to remember to do simple things like carrying shopping etc with the right arm to get it's strength up, which has worked to a degree, but still not as strong as the left.

I have mainly been doing cardio as I have a lot of weight to lose, but have started to incorporate strength training as I see a lot of people advising others to do so on here. I can't afford a gym/equipment so have been doing strength workouts at home, mainly with bodyweight exercises.

The problem is when I do arm related exercises such as push up, tricep dips etc, my right arm gets sore/tired fairly quickly while my left arm could keep going. So I am wondering if someone could suggest bodyweight/no equipment exercises that work one arm at a time so I could spend a bit more time on my right arm to get it to catch up with the left? (I don't know all the technical exercise terms so may need a little explanation if not easily google-able/straightforward :blushing: )

Thanks in advance for any help! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day at the gym how much weaker my left arm is to my right so I've started wearing a wrist weight (3lb to start with) and the same on my left ankle. I just wear it around the house right now but I'll work up to wearing it while working out as it I get stronger on my left side.

ETA If you do free weights, you could just add an extra few lbs to your weaker side and gradually build it up
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had my radial head replaced (among other things) as part of an elbow reconstruction. What I found best was actually moving heavier weights for lower reps and sets, more often (so similar volume) as my good arm and the strength caught up over the space of a few months. Mainly neurological adaptations not size changes.

e.g. I found the movements that were weak and started doing a lot of unilateral work e.g. one arm DB shoulder presses, one arm DB incline bench, kettleball movements etc. then went as heavy as possible doing 5x5 setsxreps or even 5/3/1's rep structures on them.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. It is wonderful how you have experienced a good recovery for function and are still working on improving that! I have a similar problem with my right arm due to arthritis and a mild shoulder bicep tendon weakness with pain. So I am looking for ideas also. :) So often arm exercise and activities are bilateral.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Abi - a wrist weight is an interesting idea, looks like I can get one fairly cheaply or (more likely) fashion one myself...

Aussie - thanks for the suggestions, I don't own dumbbells (had to look up DB haha), I was really looking for something that didn't involve equipment, but maybe I can do something similar with household items... research time!
    In order to get the 'same volume' is it simply a mathematical equation; eg. 10lbs x 10 reps = 100 = 20lbs x 5 reps?

Thanks for the suggestions both of you!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    [bump] - does anyone have any equipment free suggestions?