Need suggestions on meals without meat

Options
MBSNANA
MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
I have decided to removed all meat, bread, potatoes, and starch from my menu. Any suggestions using lots of vegetables and fruits?:smile:

Replies

• stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Not really except for hummus snacks.

I do think you should keep some meat and starch in - in moderation. I am not sure what I'd eat if there was no meat!
  • ThoughtsOfBelle
    ThoughtsOfBelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest vegie burgers, but you said no bread.. so maybe you can still have the vegie patties, but with a big salad? The vegetarian mince is also pretty good.. maybe you could make vegetarian tacos? (Not sure if the taco shells are OK?)

I eat meat, and i do love me some vegie patties/felafels etc, but I'm a little light on ideas on how to use them - would definitely love some advice from any vegetarians on the thread!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    gotsearch.gif

Try "Recipes" or even "Vegetarian" in SEARCH

_____________________________________:indifferent:
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Before giving my unsolicited advice, may I ask... what's prompting you to take such drastic measures? I do have quite a few vegetarian/vegan friends, so I'm familiar with some of it. They've all done it for different reasons though. Knowing why you're doing it helps with making suggestions.
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @Stella77 I think it's a bit rude to suggest eating meat after someone has stated they would like to cut them from their diet.

As for ideas try looking into some vegan, raw food, and low GI diets. As for ideas you could try vegetable soups, salads, scrambles. Not sure where tofu sits for you, some people group it in with "meat/starch".
  • leedee1105
    Options
    Quiche

1 egg and 5 egg whites broccolli fat free cheese
    Scramble eggs over broccolli and cheese and bake LIke a crustless quiche
    Use PAM cooking spray to avoid sticking

HMM HMM Good
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have found that portobello mushrooms make a fine replacement for meat in a lot of dishes... they pretty much take on the flavor of any dish.

You could try doing shish kabobs with onions, pineapple, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, etc... or a stir fry with the same type of vegetables.

How about beans? Would you still eat those or no?

A large lettuce leaf can replace a bun or bread in any sandwich, burger, taco, etc recipe so give that a shot. Morningstar Grillers original taste just like a burger and that's what we eat. We eat meat and still prefer these over beef.

Today I made fries out of butternut squash. They were comparable to a fry made out of a potato and you can either make them savory or sweet depending on what spices you want to add. I'll post more when I think of them. :)

Oh almost forgot... you can make a lasagna using thin sliced eggplant instead of noodles... morningstar makes crumbles also if you want to add that but if it doesn't matter- the eggplant should suffice. :)
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    gotsearch.gif

Try "Recipes" or even "Vegetarian" in SEARCH

_____________________________________:indifferent:
    Was this even necessary? Why even post if not going to be helpful?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    I was being helpful. What, you don't like my emoticon? The search feature is very helpful. In fact, I actualluy "searched" for vegetarian and got pages and pages of results. C'mon, it's a simple function that can be used easily.:happy: It is a helpful feature that a lot of people don't know about.
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hey Kaye...... I dont eat very much meat, except chicken.... but I LOVE to make omelettes!! You can fill them with tons of veggies and low-fat cheeses. Good luck to you!!!
  • mama2lmcjd
    mama2lmcjd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would be really concerned that you're not going to feel "full." There's something about the bulk carbs provide. I don't thing going to *unrefined* products (like brown rice vs. white, whole wheat pasta, etc.) is bad. How about alternative grains like quinoa or amaranth that are also high in protein (quinoa actually is a complete protein).
  • FattieBeGone
    FattieBeGone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have found that portobello mushrooms make a fine replacement for meat in a lot of dishes... they pretty much take on the flavor of any dish.

You could try doing shish kabobs with onions, pineapple, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, etc... or a stir fry with the same type of vegetables.

How about beans? Would you still eat those or no?

A large lettuce leaf can replace a bun or bread in any sandwich, burger, taco, etc recipe so give that a shot. Morningstar Grillers original taste just like a burger and that's what we eat. We eat meat and still prefer these over beef.

Today I made fries out of butternut squash. They were comparable to a fry made out of a potato and you can either make them savory or sweet depending on what spices you want to add. I'll post more when I think of them. :)

Oh almost forgot... you can make a lasagna using thin sliced eggplant instead of noodles... morningstar makes crumbles also if you want to add that but if it doesn't matter- the eggplant should suffice. :)

Lasagna made with eggplant instead of noodles sounds delicious! I love eggplant but never thought of doing this. Thanks for the tip!
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i know this seems like drastic measures and i am a meat eater. I just decided it was time to get serious with this journey I am on. Have put back on some of my weight during the holidays. One big reason for staying away from lots of these things is because I am trying to keep my cholestrol down. Already on medicine. I have never gone this drastic before but there is just something about knowing you have taken back control. I did not think I would feel full but with all the veggies and fruit and I also drink lots of hot lemonade with splenda [trying to stay warm, curb hunger and help not to get hungry].
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look up some of the websites you all gave me and try some of the recipes also. Thanks for all your help. Will take all the suggestions for meals i can get. Kaye
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into the Paleo diet - my friend was telling me about it and it eliminates a lot of starch. Less drastic ways are to get Ultra Metabolism by Mark Hyman and/or Eat Clean diet by Tosca Reno - both have meal plans and recipes in addition to lots of reasons why you should follow their suggestions!
  • FattieBeGone
    FattieBeGone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    maybe instead of removing them so drastically you could eliminate them graduallly .
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    maybe instead of removing them so drastically you could eliminate them graduallly .

I'd tend to agree with this. It seems like everyone I know that's done an "all-or-nothing" kind of change has always fallen off the wagon and gone back to their old eating habits because they get cravings for certain things that they've eliminated. Whenever a person wants to make a lifestyle change, it's easier to do and maintain longer if it's done over time. I know everybody's different, but that's something to think about.

I'm not trying to talk you out of going meat-free, but how do you feel about fish? Salmon's supposed to be really good for you and might do in a pinch if you start missing meat.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Oh, and I've been looking into vegan diets. Part of me is reluctant because I love ethnic foods. I'm Italian and can't give it up completely. Well, I've found out that veganism isn't just an American thing. I bought "Vegan Italiano" by Donna Klein and made 2 recipes to take to my family's Italian Christmas dinner. They loved them... Tuscan Beans with Tomatoes and Sage... and Sicilian Orange Salad. I highly recommend the book! Awesome!
  • bluestocking06
    bluestocking06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried them, both tofu and seitan are really good replacements for meat, they have a lot of protein and a low calorie. My roommates and I are vegan and we do a lot of really thick soups, usually lentil with pretty much any kind of veggie we feel like in there (generally, carrots, broccoli, kale or some other green, peppers, onion, squash and whatever else we have in the house that might go bad), also we do a lot of tofu scrambles and stir frys with lots of vegetables.
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Meet substitutes are a good source of protein (at least some brands). :o)

Quorn is nice, but in the UK our supermarkets usually have their own brand which is usually cheaper and sometimes better with regard to protein and fat content. Linda McCartney is another brand.
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    I am currently in school for culinary arts and discovered a great curry lentil soup with veggie recipe. I love meat and had never tried lentil. If you would like the recipe, let me know. You can add pretty much any veggies you want and it was very filling. The funny thing is, it was so good that I make it at least once a week.