Replies

• CareyClagett
    CareyClagett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out ETP (Eat to Perform): eattoperform.com
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Also mentioning along with the above that muscle hypertrophy (sarcoplasmic) is more of a response of high volume training. So changing your rep range (8-12) with multiple sets (4-5) for at least 16 sets per body part seems to be consensus. I've personally done it that way when I started and got great results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Not true.

The sarcoplasm is the cytoplasm of a muscle fiber. Most of the sarcoplasm is filled with myofibrils, which are long protein cords composed of myofilaments. The sarcoplasm is also composed of glycogen, which provides energy to the cell with heightened exercise, and myoglobin, the red pigment that stores oxygen until needed for muscular activity. The sarcoplasmic reticulum(SR), also known as the smooth endoplasmic reticulum, forms a network around each myofibril of the muscle fiber. This network is composed of groupings of two dilated end-sacs called terminal cisternae, and a single transverse tubule, or T tubule, which bore through the cell and emerge on the other side; together these three components form the triads that exist within the network of the sarcoplasmic reticulum, in which each T tubule has two terminal cisternae on each side of it. The SR serves as reservoir for calcium ions, in which the T tubule signals the SR to release calcium from the gated membrane channels to stimulate a muscle contraction.

A myoblast is a type of embryonic progenitor cell that differentiates to give rise to muscle cells.

Skeletal muscle fibers are made when myoblasts fuse together; muscle fibers therefore have multiple nuclei (each nucleus originating from a single myoblast). The fusion of myoblasts is specific to skeletal muscle (e.g., biceps brachii) and not cardiac muscle or smooth muscle.

Myoblasts that do not form muscle fibers dedifferentiate back into satellite cells. These satellite cells remain adjacent to a muscle fiber, situated between the sarcolemma and the endomysium (the connective tissue investment that divides the muscle fascicles into individual fibers).

Satellite cells are described as quiescent myoblasts and neighbor muscle fiber sarcolemma. They are crucial for the repair of muscle, but have a very limited ability to replicate. Activated by stimuli such as injury or high mechanical load, satellite cells are required for muscle regeneration in adult organisms. In addition, satellite cells have the capability to also differentiate into bone or fat. In this way, satellite cells have an important role in not only muscle development, but in the maintenance of muscle through adulthood.

Regulation of myogenic differentiation is controlled by two pathways: the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway and the Notch/Hes pathway, which work in a collaborative manner to suppress MyoD transcription. The O subfamily of the forkhead proteins (FOXO) play a critical role in regulation of myogenic differentiation as they stabilize Notch/Hes binding. Research has shown that knockout of FOXO1 in mice increases MyoD expression, altering the distribution of fast-twitch and slow-twitch fibers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myogenesis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_fiber
    So where does it say it's not true? BTW, wikipedia isn't a great source for evidence since it can be edited by anyone.

So here's mine:
    The higher workload is more effective at creating microtrauma because of the extra time under tension and extra number of fibres recruited (Shinohara et al, 1998; Smith & Rutherford, 1995; Moss et al, 1997)

The more muscle fibers one can affect, the more growth occurs. Because of neuromuscular adaptation involved in power and strength training, less fibers become involved when the body adapts to the load.

High volume, multiple set programs are more effective at increasing the body's production of testosterone and growth hormone (Kraemer et al, 1991; Kraemer et al 1990)

Both important hormones that are involved in muscle hypertrophy.

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2014/01/21/volume-hypertrophy/

When speaking of "building muscle" most people will look for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Myofibrillar hypertrophy training (low reps/high weight) doesn't seem to net the same results in mass building as sarcoplasmic training (moderate reps/challenging weight) in several studies.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RobertReese12
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that you need between 1 and 1.5 times your body weight in grams of protein. For example, if your weight is 150 pounds, you should eat between 150 and 225 grams of protein per day if you want to consistently gain muscle. Full time bodybuilders can eat two to three times their body weight in grams of protein, and sometimes more, but for most of us that would be overkill.
    Proteins that are great for building muscle include:
    Red meat. Beef, pork, lamb, venison, bison, fish. tuna, salmon, swordfish, bass, trout, mackerel, etc.
  • noye2
    noye2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    eat big lift big
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I forgot to mention something... I do my weight lifting workout session in my room. It's taking me too much time to do go to the gym 6 times a week (busy with work and private life). So I have a bench and two dumbbells.

People usually recommend low reps and high weight for muscle building. 12 is a high number of reps per set. This is my view....

well- make sure you have a proper set up so you can fail weights safely or make sure you have someone there to spot you.

Secondly- please do not assume the rest of us do not have a busy lives and all we do is focus on this- it's extremely insulting and I realize that was not the intent of your comment- but the reality is- it is very insulting.

I work 3 jobs- and I train as a professional dancer with regulated classes that add up to 8-10 hours of class and I do 10+ hours of hand sewing on side projects a week. I maintain an out of town relationship AND I workout 3-4 times a week for almost 2 hours. I cook for myself- I clean for myself and I pay my own bills.

As for rep ranges-
    GUIDE LINES- these are only guide lines
    0 = to heavy
    1-5- strength
    5-10- size and strength
    10-15 muscle endurance

it is a guide line- not a fixed number- as people have said trial and error is a big part of this. I had very good success with a program Tom Platz used for size building- 20 rep squat program- only one working set of 20. it'll make you talk to jesus- saw great size and following with a pure strength program had great results.

Follow a program- someone's program- when you are new- that's best thing to do.

Eat all the things
    Lift all the things.
    Do not run all the things.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Eat all the things
    Lift all the things.

:sigh: :sad:

lurker tagged
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that you need between 1 and 1.5 times your body weight in grams of protein. For example, if your weight is 150 pounds, you should eat between 150 and 225 grams of protein per day if you want to consistently gain muscle. Full time bodybuilders can eat two to three times their body weight in grams of protein, and sometimes more, but for most of us that would be overkill.
    Proteins that are great for building muscle include:
    Red meat. Beef, pork, lamb, venison, bison, fish. tuna, salmon, swordfish, bass, trout, mackerel, etc.

actually in a surplus protein is needed in lower quantities. 0.8grams/lb of lbm is sufficient, though more is not detrimental at all.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So where does it say it's not true? BTW, wikipedia isn't a great source for evidence since it can be edited by anyone.

Every where, because it is now known that is not how myogenesis works. You can control your muscle tissue ratio's just as much as you can control where you reduce fat. There is only one type of hypertrophy. Bodybuilders and power lifters have the exact same muscle.
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There's a former Mr Universe Mike Metzer who trained himself and now others with a very unconventional method of 2 short warm up sets then only I all out set to failure of every exercise and only 1 exercise per body part, And his method employs very long recovery rest time. So as we have all been saying, there are different methods that have worked for people . I'm a drop set guy. It allows you to do heavy weight and high reps in the same session and has really worked for me. I know some big dudes who like to do squats 10 sets of 10 who claim they got better results. Experiment with different techniques and you'll find what works best for you.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Every where, because it is now known that is not how myogenesis works. You can control your muscle tissue ratio's just as much as you can control where you reduce fat. There is only one type of hypertrophy. Bodybuilders and power lifters have the exact same muscle.
    I think I'll stick with medical science on this. There are 2 different types of muscle hypertrophy. Sacroplasmic and Myofibrillar. Find a source where this is disputed.

http://sites.psu.edu/brianharrell/wp-content/uploads/sites/9700/2014/02/Harrell_TDD_final.pdf
    http://www-scf.usc.edu/~uscience/exercise_science.html
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/hypertrophy.htmlhttp://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-1-2-27.pdf

Specific training programs target one more than the other.

And you CAN'T control where fat is reduced from your body. That's a myth that's been debunked for eons.

Also to add, while they may have the same "muscle", fiber count of types may be totally different.

IDEA Fitness member
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The op is not eating enough, not lifting enough, and doing way to much cardio, that all equakls to zero muscle gains... Your not going to make gains in your room; maybe a little, but you'll plateau rather quickly...
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I forgot to mention something... I do my weight lifting workout session in my room. It's taking me too much time to do go to the gym 6 times a week (busy with work and private life). So I have a bench and two dumbbells.

People usually recommend low reps and high weight for muscle building. 12 is a high number of reps per set. This is my view....

well- make sure you have a proper set up so you can fail weights safely or make sure you have someone there to spot you.

Secondly- please do not assume the rest of us do not have a busy lives and all we do is focus on this- it's extremely insulting and I realize that was not the intent of your comment- but the reality is- it is very insulting.

I work 3 jobs- and I train as a professional dancer with regulated classes that add up to 8-10 hours of class and I do 10+ hours of hand sewing on side projects a week. I maintain an out of town relationship AND I workout 3-4 times a week for almost 2 hours. I cook for myself- I clean for myself and I pay my own bills.

As for rep ranges-
    0 = to heavy
    1-5- strength
    5-10- size and strength
    10-15 muscle endurance

it is a guide line- not a fixed number- as people have said trial and error is a big part of this. I had very good success with a program Tom Platz used for size building- 20 rep squat program- only one working set of 20. it'll make you talk to jesus- saw great size and following with a pure strength program had great results.

Eat all the things
    Lift all the things.

I never meant other people dont have a busy life. I just find this a bit hard to keep training with job and private life, maybe I am the only to think that.

In my room, I have one bench, 4x5kg dumbbell, 4x2.5kg dumbbell, 4x1.25kg dumbbell. I have been weight lifting in my room for years now on my own. I always had enough space to fail the weights.

I just finished my workout session, I have done the following:

Session A: Bench Press (6x8 13kg), Shoulder Press (6x8 8kg), Bicep Curl (6x8 13kg), Tricep Extension (6x8 13kg), Dead Lift (6x8 8kg), Squat (6x8 11kg), Palms-up wrist curl (6x8 8kg), Weight Crunch (6x30 20kg)

Just a question... how do i know if I train hard enough? Should I feel soreness in my arms? I finished my session 40 minutes ago and can still feel the soreness in my muscle.

Also when I weight lifting, all my veins in my arms and biceps come out. Is it normal? is it a sign I train hard enough?

Because I train on my own, I am always afraid for not pushing hard enough.....
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options

As for rep ranges-
    0 = to heavy
    1-5- strength
    5-10- size and strength
    10-15 muscle endurance

Eat all the things
    Lift all the things.

I never meant other people dont have a busy life. I just find this a bit hard to keep training with job and private life, maybe I am the only to think that.

In my room, I have one bench, 4x5kg dumbbell, 4x2.5kg dumbbell, 4x1.25kg dumbbell. I have been weight lifting in my room for years now on my own. I always had enough space to fail the weights.

Session A: Bench Press (6x8 13kg), Shoulder Press (6x8 8kg), Bicep Curl (6x8 13kg), Tricep Extension (6x8 13kg), Dead Lift (6x8 8kg), Squat (6x8 11kg), Palms-up wrist curl (6x8 8kg), Weight Crunch (6x30 20kg)

Just a question... how do i know if I train hard enough? Should I feel soreness in my arms? I finished my session 40 minutes ago and can still feel the soreness in my muscle.

Also when I weight lifting, all my veins in my arms and biceps come out. Is it normal? is it a sign I train hard enough?

veins are normal due to all the blood flow. Most soreness happens the 2 days after your workout. Soreness or lack of it is not a sign of hard enough or not. You can usually tell if you trained hard enough by the pump. The more often you train, the less soreness you will feel. You'll notice on occasions when you introduce new techniques and or exercises, more soreness than usual.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

There is no way you can curl the amount you can bench. Or you lifting in each set until it is hard to lift the weight for another rep? If not you will get little to no benefit from what you are doing, no offense.

The weights you are talking about are not going to build any amount of muscle and you will out grow the weight in a matter of days or weeks, then will need heavier. 11KG squats? I am sure you could do much more than that for so few reps
  • caesar164
    Options
    My 12 year old lifts a lot heavier then that...go to a gym!
  • caesar164
    Options
    You say you have been lifting for years in your room... Where are the results? Your here asking for advice on how to get bigger... You need to do more research on what it takes to build muscle... Go to bodybuilding.com And read the stickies...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Soreness and the "pump" are not enough on their own but can be useful to know you are using the correct muscles in a lift.

To be an effective workout you must progress. Do more work than you did last time. That can be a another rep or more weight. If you are lifting the same weight every time for the same number of reps you will not grow. You must stress the muscles to force them to adapt. You will also not grow if you are not eating enough.
  • MissJenniLee
    MissJenniLee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    To burn body fat you have to take in less calories

To build muscle you have to take in more calories

So if you only have a small percent of body fat, I wouldn't recommend cardio as it will burn the calories needed to build muscle tone. Also, the more muscle you build, the higher caloric intake you will need.

If you have a higher percent body fat, building muscle along side with a cardio routine will help burn your fat cells quicker. In this case, you want to take in less calories.