Just can't breath right

Options
sloseph
sloseph Posts: 157 Member
Morning all

i've recently started the C25k program and i'm really enjoying running (never thought i'd say that)

i'm on week 3 and it's going ok apart from one problem, i just can't get my breathing in check

i know i'm meant to breath with my belly which i'm great at when i'm sat at my desk practicing but as soon as i start running i just can't seem to get it, by the end of each interval i find myself with a horrible side stitch and gasping for air

i've tried slowing myself down but that doesn't seem to be helping

the NHS podcast told me to breath in and out on the count of 3 in time with my feet but when i do i that i seem to be holding my breath and don't feel like i'm getting enough air

so does anyone have any tips for me?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're over thinking it. Just breath naturally and run slow. You should be able to hold a conversation. If your running pace is slow or slower than your walking pace don't worry as the speed will come in time. Slow down relax and as I said try not to think about it as your breathing will naturally hit a rhythm.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    OP - I have been thinking the same, it was as if I wrote this! Although I'm in week 2. I seem to do well for the majority but by the last 1 or 2 jogging sections I'm pushing into my side like I'm trying to burrow through and panting like a rabid dog!

I spoke to my dad about it - he ran the London marathon a couple of years ago and is also a pharmacist so is good with health/fitness and he said he found he got stitches towards the beginning of his training, but after a while he just seemed to get into the swing of things and it stopped happening. (Not that useful now but gave me some hope/reassurance)

As for what to do when you get a stitch you can raise your arm(s) on the side it's on, stop, bend over and breath deeply or something I've seen online but haven't tried yet is to breath out when the leg on the opposite side hits the ground (not every time, but just time it so it matches up).

I was classically trained for opera when I was younger so thought I'd have the breathing down pat (an amazing about of time was spent on correct breathing/diaphragm strength/control in my lessons). But it's different when you're running at the same time! I'm hoping this is something that will just improve and become more natural as I progress!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down and just breathe naturally... no need to do some ridiculous algorithm patterned breathing. Breathing is an involuntary function, so just let it roll and do its thing.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down and just breathe naturally... no need to do some ridiculous algorithm patterned breathing. Breathing is an involuntary function, so just let it roll and do its thing.

This. I was overthinking a lot, too, when I started running. Even trying to match my pace to the music. Then I started staring down the road - zoning a little and let my breathing and pace flow naturally. Relax and just breathe. It's much easier.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you want to do the counted breathing technique, try doing 2 counts instead of 3. That's what I do and it feels more natural. I also will count in my head or sing a song in my head to help keep pace. If you're listening to music and the pace changes, that might throw you off.

There are no hard and fast rules with breathing. For instance, you read/hear a lot that one should breath in your nose and out your mouth. This is impossible for me during exercise because my nostrils are too narrow so I don't get enough air that way - so I'm a mouth breather. Do what works best for you.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to hold my breath whenever I run. I read a lot about it and started counting when I run, breathe in for 4, out for 3, repeat. I also make sure I'm listening to music, though my Zombies, Run 5k app helps too. It tells me a story inbetween songs. It helps to distract me when I'm over thinking.

This may also help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing C25K for a few weeks (im on wk5) and i was struggling to breathe at first. Then someone told me to count 1,2,1,2 and breathe in for 2 and out for 2, for every run, not just when i am out of breath. It was a little difficult at first, but at least counting gave me something to think about other than how slow the time seemed to be going! Its a little easier now, and i have found it does help to stop me gasping for breath, though that does still help sometimes. Iwas also told to run every run slowly, not just when i was getting tired, and that has helped too, I know some of the shorter runs are already getting faster!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    Be sure to breathe in through you nose and out through your mouth, unless you have some physical reason that this is impossible to accomplish for you. I breathe in and out slowly over a few strides, and I use both my lungs and diaphragm. There were drills that I practiced when I played the trumpet that taught me how to do this, you can google breathing drills and find a ton of them and practice them at home or at work.
    Here’s a drill that I have used with a youth soccer team that I coach; standing still, shut your eyes and put your arms out to your side. Begin to rotate your arms in small circles, breath in slowly through your nose counting to five and then out through your mouth counting in reverse to one while switching directing of the rotation of your arms. Repeat the steps several times. If the switching the rotation of your arms is too distracting then just keep the rotation in the same direction, maybe build up to it.
    I hope this helps.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    The side stitch...are you drinking a lot of water beforehand? I get those if I drink a lot of water right before a workout.
  • dillasa
    dillasa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Side stitches are caused when your breathing is always in sync with your right foot hitting the ground. I get them a lot and have done a lot of research and the best option is to try to breathe in sync with your left foot. Since your liver is on the right side the extra jarring from your foot hitting the ground and the relaxation of your diaphragm and ab muscles while breathing stretches out the ligaments that hold your organs in place. It is difficult to try breathing on your left foot if you are like me. But with a little practice it will become second nature and help a lot.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    .....i just can't get my breathing in check

i know i'm meant to breath with my belly which i'm great at when i'm sat at my desk practicing but as soon as i start running i just can't seem to get it, by the end of each interval i find myself with a horrible side stitch and gasping for air

i've tried slowing myself down but that doesn't seem to be helping

the NHS podcast told me to breath in and out on the count of 3 in time with my feet but when i do i that i seem to be holding my breath and don't feel like i'm getting enough air

so does anyone have any tips for me?

If you break your running down into 6 training zones that are easy to remember, each Zone will require a different rate of breath as well as heart rate. The faster and harder you run, the higher the Zone, and the more oxygen requirement. In Zone 1 (Old Lady Pace), you should be able to carry on a conversation as you will be going rather slow and have enough oxygen to actually do some light conversation. By the time you are running so fast you have moved into Zone 3 and Zone 4 (intervals), it would be very hard to say more than short sentences between well timed breaths. And above that, forget about it - your drooling, gasping, and sucking wind as the heart rate is high and the oxygen demands too demanding to talk.

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

You say you are only 3 weeks into the program, so you are at the point where not much adaptation has taken place yet. But, it will if you give it time. Forget about trying to "time" your breathing with a certain number of steps. Open the pie hole - and suck in what you need to suck in! ;-)

You have to run a lot of miles/duration in Zone 1 (Old Lady Pace) and Zone 2 (Chatty Pace - Endurance Pace) to build what we call a fitness base. From that fitness base which can take weeks and weeks to be established, one has adapted well and can handle the stress and requirements of doing intervals. You get used to the gasping/sucking wind and a pounding chest when running the faster intervals with time. My guess is, that some where between week 6 and week 12 your body will have a good base built and your fitness will have improved/adapted enough to not get the side stiches. I can't guarantee "gasping for air" ever goes away as the more trained you get, the more you push yourself into the upper training zones which do require huge amounts of oxygen to be sucked in for the shorter durations we use those training Zones.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    wow thanks everyone loads of great replies and lots of different theories, i'll be sure to give them a test tomorrow on my next run and i'll report back :)

hopefully i can get this under control and become a proper runner :) i've not problem with running at a granny pace as long as i'm running :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Side stitches are caused when your breathing is always in sync with your right foot hitting the ground. I get them a lot and have done a lot of research and the best option is to try to breathe in sync with your left foot. Since your liver is on the right side the extra jarring from your foot hitting the ground and the relaxation of your diaphragm and ab muscles while breathing stretches out the ligaments that hold your organs in place. It is difficult to try breathing on your left foot if you are like me. But with a little practice it will become second nature and help a lot.
    huh????
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    wow thanks everyone loads of great replies and lots of different theories, i'll be sure to give them a test tomorrow on my next run and i'll report back :)

hopefully i can get this under control and become a proper runner :) i've not problem with running at a granny pace as long as i'm running :)
    just breathe how you feel comfortable. There is no rule how you have to breathe for running.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

+1000....... there is no "correct" way to breathe when running, do what comes naturally. The most important thing is that you run at a pace whereby you're not gasping for breath, you're not holding your breath and at which you can converse in whole sentences.

It's counter intuitive but you may have to force yourself to run even slower. It takes time to build your aerobic base, be patient with yourself (also.....don't feel compelled to follow someone else's timetable, my personal opinion is that the C25K programs are a bit too aggressive for many new runners. Going from zero to 5K in 9 or 10 weeks may not be attainable for you but don't worry about repeating weeks.....progress at your own rate & have fun!)
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Late reply but I had the same problem as you and running more slowly really helped. I'm up to 20 minutes straight now without any sign of stitches.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    There are definitely a ton of options for you here, but here's what I've noticed over years of running.

It doesn't matter if I'm breathing in or out of my mouth or nose. The only thing that matters is that I take equal breaths in as I do out. If I take consistently short breaths in and long breaths out, I get a side stitch. if I hold my breath, i get a side stitch. yes, i occasionally do these things subconsciously, especially if I'm racing anything a half marathon or shorter.

When I am not taking even breaths, it does help if I count to myself two counts to breathe in and two counts to breathe out.

it definitely seems like everyone is different - but don't overthink it
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks are so hard! But your breathing will get easier the more you run. So just stick with it.
    When I take a break from running then start again my lungs feel like they are going to explode! But once your cardio improves it will all seem so much easier. Good luck!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Breathing was super hard for me too. It only got easier with time, and when I slowed down, a LOT. I mean a LOT. Even now if I start out too fast I can feekl it.