Help with TDEE calories?

Options
Hey guys, I was just wondering whether I could get some help with how many calories I should be consuming a day?

I am 21, 5'3 and 134 pounds. I have been stalled for months and I don't look any different. I don't really have a 'goal weight'- just to look lean but I guess that would be about 115-120 pounds. The last time I lost any weight was a when I first began IF and ate well over my calories for the week because of parties etc... since then, I havn't lost an ounce eating 1500 a week, 1400 a week. I have recently lowered my calories down to 1200 net a day but after 4 days, I feel awful and I know its not doing me any favour's. The scale also hasn't budged at all.

My BRM with the Katch Mcardle formula is 1400 (I am around 20-21% bodyfat)

In terms of my activity, I am completely sedentary in the day as I have just finished Uni however I exercise alot. I do weights 3 x a week and cardio between 5-10 hours a week. I don't do cardio to speed up weight loss or anything, I do it because I love being fit and getting stronger. The cardio is a mix of spin/ circuits/ running / HIIT. My day off is after leg day where I will literally do nothing.

With the activity level at 1.5 (moderately active) this gives me 1728 calories a day after taking away 20%.

Does this seem about right? I know its all about trial and error but I am getting so frustrated with guessing and not losing!

Oh, and I weigh/ track everything!

Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• AdreaC
    AdreaC Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that all those numbers are just estimates. Every body is different depending on your metabolism. Also, you are doing strength training. Is your pants fitting smaller around your butt or waist? Are your arms more toned? For the strength training I would rely on your measurements and less on the scale as a measure of success.

It does appear that your numbers are done accurately though. Maybe try doing more than 1200 but less than 1700. I chose my daily calorie goal based on the BMR of the weight I want to be. I'm currently 182 with a BMR of around 1580, and I want to weight 135 which has a BMR of 1350. So I try to eat around that.

Lastly, maybe on your "off days" you could just do walking or something with less impact. Those calories add up also and sometimes it's easier to find a friend to just go for a walk with, or take a quick walk on a work break so you don't get sweaty.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that all those numbers are just estimates. Every body is different depending on your metabolism. Also, you are doing strength training. Is your pants fitting smaller around your butt or waist? Are your arms more toned? For the strength training I would rely on your measurements and less on the scale as a measure of success.

It does appear that your numbers are done accurately though. Maybe try doing more than 1200 but less than 1700. I chose my daily calorie goal based on the BMR of the weight I want to be. I'm currently 182 with a BMR of around 1580, and I want to weight 135 which has a BMR of 1350. So I try to eat around that.

Lastly, maybe on your "off days" you could just do walking or something with less impact. Those calories add up also and sometimes it's easier to find a friend to just go for a walk with, or take a quick walk on a work break so you don't get sweaty.
    Yeah that's wrong, you shouldn't be eating under your BMR. Stop giving bad advice

OP - your numbers are correct. Since you're within a smaller weight loss goal, you would be aiming to lose around 0.5lbs per week. As long as you are 100% with weighing and measuring, you will continue to lose weight.

And as mentioned, the scale isn't the best for all results. Measure yourself on a monthly basis and you'll be surprised at the changes!

ETA: Also remember to go in and redo your goals every 10lbs or so!
  • Bethskx
    Bethskx Posts: 8 Member
    Options

My pant etc do not feel any different at all, thats why I am getting frustrated :/. I have never been a scale weigher at all because I don't think it measures success but I feel like I am just getting no where at the moment in terms of weight loss. I am getting stonger and my arms have always been toned but they look slightly better.. it doesn't feel like enough for months of exercising and dieting. I was thinking of maybe trying 1500-1600 and then lowering every few week if there is not difference.

Oh and on my off days, I meant to say that I don't do any exercise. It's a full day off where I will just see mates and so on :)

Thanks for the quick response!
  • Bethskx
    Options
    i used this site:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

To help me determine my TDEE

After that it's trial and error on how many calories your maintenance really is.
    I am now about 4 months further of which the first 3 were for weightloss on using the IIFYM
    And the last month has really been about tryin to find my TDEE so i can calculate my intake for a cut and bulk

I get 1660 calories for weight loss which is in line with all the other calculators I have used. Thanks :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    i used this site:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

To help me determine my TDEE

After that it's trial and error on how many calories your maintenance really is.
    I am now about 4 months further of which the first 3 were for weightloss on using the IIFYM
    And the last month has really been about tryin to find my TDEE so i can calculate my intake for a cut and bulk

I get 1660 calories for weight loss which is in line with all the other calculators I have used. Thanks :)

I find this one way more accurate than most..in comparison to my own calculations.
  • AdreaC
    Options

Yeah that's wrong, you shouldn't be eating under your BMR. Stop giving bad advice

OP - your numbers are correct. Since you're within a smaller weight loss goal, you would be aiming to lose around 0.5lbs per week. As long as you are 100% with weighing and measuring, you will continue to lose weight.

And as mentioned, the scale isn't the best for all results. Measure yourself on a monthly basis and you'll be surprised at the changes!

Actually, it's not wrong. You should eat to be the size you want to be. If you eat like you're 200 lbs you will be 200 lbs. If you eat like your 150 you will get to be 150. It's much healthier than aiming for the 1200 calories that MFP states you should eat. If allows for progressive weight loss, which is healthier and more likely to stay off. Well... at least that's what the doctor's I work with who run marathons suggested. I think I'll take the advice of several physicians over yours. Everyone else can make their own decision as well. :-)

Biologically it DOES make sense. You SHOULD eat at the BMR you want to be at.
  • Bethskx
    Options

Actually, it's not wrong. You should eat to be the size you want to be. If you eat like you're 200 lbs you will be 200 lbs. If you eat like your 150 you will get to be 150. It's much healthier than aiming for the 1200 calories that MFP states you should eat. If allows for progressive weight loss, which is healthier and more likely to stay off. Well... at least that's what the doctor's I work with who run marathons suggested. I think I'll take the advice of several physicians over yours. Everyone else can make their own decision as well. :-)

Biologically it DOES make sense. You SHOULD eat at the BMR you want to be at.

The BMR of 115 is only 1350 calories.. I'm not sure if that is too low to start with or not?
  • AdreaC
    Options
    There's definitely no harm in starting higher, especially if you feel hungry all the time or feel worn down. I would just suggest working toward that as a goal.