Fast diet 5:2

Options
Hello everyone,
I have been reading up on the 5:2fast diet and wondering if anyone here has tried it yet? I am a bit unsure about the intermittent starving as don't want to push my body into starvation mode.

I have been very religiously exercising and also on a 1200 cal/day for the last 4wks but haven't shifted even one pound in weight:(
A bit disappointed but I will keep going.
I haven't been eating my exercise calories but otherwise sticking to the general diet routine and 8-10 glasses of water.
This 5:2diet reviews are promising and wondering if I should try it just to kick start my body into losing weight.

Advice please.

Replies

• AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can see what the issue might be in your diet?

also your stats?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Are you doing weight training in your exercises? A lot of people would say that people usually overestimate burn calories, underestimate eaten calories, or both. I could not understand that before, but if you are not using a food scale then yeah there is room for error.
  • shilpaca
    shilpaca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm using a food scale so every morsel that enters my mouth is counted. I'm also wearing a heart rate monitor during my work out to get the right calories burnt.
    I have been doing the kettle bells and Gillian Michael killer bums and thighs as that's mainly my problematic areas.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    That what I used to find myself thinking like that. You are doing the right things.
  • monkeymagic900
    Options
    I found the 5:2 diet really challenging but rewarding, I found that I saw results really quickly and the fasting days made me feel like I was actively contributing to my weigh loss. The only problem I found was I find it relatively easy to simply not eat anything during the day but eating a small amount tends to make me hungrier. It won't put your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode does not happen overnight or even in just a few days. Even if you starve yourself, until you hit about 5% body fat your body will still eat away at that fat. Yes, you will lose muscle too but I'm not striving to put an argument in for anorexia.

I'm going to try this diet again if you fancy joining me :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm using a food scale so every morsel that enters my mouth is counted. I'm also wearing a heart rate monitor during my work out to get the right calories burnt.
    I have been doing the kettle bells and Gillian Michael killer bums and thighs as that's mainly my problematic areas.
    Even if you weigh food, a big problem is that users enter a lot of entries, and some of them (a lot) are just flat out wrong. Here's a good guide for logging accurately:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I have a friend who just started 5:2 and loves it because she has problem sticking to her deficit. If you can eat at 1200 every day and aren't losing, I don't think 5:2 is going to magically "fix" it. Intermittent fasting seems to work better for people who don't like breakfast and want a bigger dinner (daily IF) or who have compliance issues but can stick to low calories 2 days a week (5:2).
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Advice please.

Dont do it. Cant think of anything less appealing that being told that you have to fast for over a quarter of your life.
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 5:2 diet. it helped me lose 25 lbs since January. You wont go into starvation mode. First there is no such thing . But usually when you eat low calories for a prolonged time your metabolism slows down. This will not happen in a 5:2 diet because you eat up to 1800-2000 calories 5 days a week and 2 days 500. 5:2 way of life is the only thing that got me off my eating disorder. feel free to add me if you want. I eat everything now nothing is off the list (in moderation though)

There is also a group here called 5;2 fasting ...check it out lots of information
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 16:8 IF and like it. I only eat from 11-7 which works in my little world.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    5:2 Fasting isn't starving yourself ... its eating calories at maintenance five days a week and eating 20-25% of that on your fast days. Your calories are already quite low. I dont know what your starting weight is, but 1200 calories a day may be too low which is why you are getting stuck.

I do IF 2 days a week where I go all day not eating until about 5pm. I am never starving, and as long as when I do eat I dont binge and eat clean then it definitely is a great way to get results!

I also do fasted workouts everyday and that helps me get higher performance for sure!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating my exercise calories

When you are working with a very low calorie intake allowance, as you are, you really need to eat those calories back.
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    How does the 5:2 diet work?
    got me interested now. haha
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have tried it once and gave up but I am actually starting again today.
    I have a friend who lost 40 lbs slowly sticking to this plan. She also worked out a lot.
    Your lifestyle will dictate whether this works for you. It's difficult to cook for others when you are not eating so everything has to be well planned out.
    I say give it a try and if it works for you great, and if not you can at least say you gave it a shot.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Eat normal for five days. two non-consecutives days is a really low calorie day. It is usually one or two meals for those two days that I have read.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

5.2 is not a diet, it is more for health and longevity, a by product is weight loss

It is based upon research by UK doctor over ten years of doing it, a TV programme, on UK channel 4 has details

Basically humans evolved as hunter gathers and not always had full stomachs, so some days, or weeks, went hungry, we are product of evolution
  • BookMaven79
    BookMaven79 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm wondering if your problem is that you are eating too few calories.

I'm starting my third week of 5:2 and seeing good results-- but I make sure to eat at least 1500 calories per day on my 'feast' days and a few days it's been more than that! I have a couple of good friends who have been doing 5:2 for a year and have lost over 100 pounds each-- they said you MUST eat on the feast days if you aren't eating more than 500 calories on the fast days. If you are exercising a lot, eat more. One runs 2-3 miles each day and she eats 2500 calories on her feast days and 300 on her fast days-- it's working for her. When she ate much less, she wasn't losing at all.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I have been reading up on the 5:2fast diet and wondering if anyone here has tried it yet? I am a bit unsure about the intermittent starving as don't want to push my body into starvation mode.

I have been very religiously exercising and also on a 1200 cal/day for the last 4wks but haven't shifted even one pound in weight:(
    I haven't been eating my exercise calories but otherwise sticking to the general diet routine and 8-10 glasses of water.
    This 5:2diet reviews are promising and wondering if I should try it just to kick start my body into losing weight.

Advice please.
    I do the 4:3 version and have lost just under 27 lbs in 7 weeks.
    I am really liking it quite a bit. I had an intense 6 weeks on the program and told myself I would take a week "off" from the fasting days.

Told myself I would only eat when I was hungry, and not the pre programmed times that have been generally accepted and pushed upon us.

To my amazement my week i took "off" of calorie caounting and fasting I lost 1.4 lbs as well. THAT was even weighing in during the evening after eating and drinking some during the day. Usually I weigh in directly after a fast.

In looking back at what I had during the week I found that I didnt have nearly as many calories as I would have before I even started this.

What ADF taught me was that many times we eat because we are bored, or it is that time to eat, or just plain thirsty. ADF taught me how to regulate my food intake. I have been eating burgers, wings, pizza, etc. All the time we always loved to eat, but just differently and staying within the limits and fasting 3 days a week.

I do 24 hour fasts, and not a calender day. It works great and even if I get hungry I know I will be eating that evening!
  • shilpaca
    Options
    I'm wondering if your problem is that you are eating too few calories.

I'm starting my third week of 5:2 and seeing good results-- but I make sure to eat at least 1500 calories per day on my 'feast' days and a few days it's been more than that! I have a couple of good friends who have been doing 5:2 for a year and have lost over 100 pounds each-- they said you MUST eat on the feast days if you aren't eating more than 500 calories on the fast days. If you are exercising a lot, eat more. One runs 2-3 miles each day and she eats 2500 calories on her feast days and 300 on her fast days-- it's working for her. When she ate much less, she wasn't losing at all.

I was doing 1200 cal a day with exercise which burned around 400-420cals with HR MONITOR. however as I wasn't shifting the weight thought of doing the 5:2 . Hopefully this might help work
  • shilpaca
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Advice please.
    I am really liking it quite a bit. I had an intense 6 weeks on the program and told myself I would take a week "off" from the fasting days.

Told myself I would only eat when I was hungry, and not the pre programmed times that have been generally accepted and pushed upon us.

To my amazement my week i took "off" of calorie caounting and fasting I lost 1.4 lbs as well. THAT was even weighing in during the evening after eating and drinking some during the day. Usually I weigh in directly after a fast.

In looking back at what I had during the week I found that I didnt have nearly as many calories as I would have before I even started this.

What ADF taught me was that many times we eat because we are bored, or it is that time to eat, or just plain thirsty. ADF taught me how to regulate my food intake. I have been eating burgers, wings, pizza, etc. All the time we always loved to eat, but just differently and staying within the limits and fasting 3 days a week.

I do 24 hour fasts, and not a calender day. It works great and even if I get hungry I know I will be eating that evening!

Thank you I think I'll try this one to c if it will work for me as well
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Advice please.

Thank you I think I'll try this one to c if it will work for me as well
    Hit me up if you have any questions.
    I just set up a spreadsheet with th ehours of the day and count the calories per cycle and not calender day.
    For instnace, 1900 on sunday night I have a meal, then fast until 1900 monday night (max 500 cal in that time). From 1900 tues to 1900 wed I eat at my maintenance calories, then repeat. Saturday and sunday eat at my maintain or less becaus fasting changed my whole dependance on food. Then repeat. Some do a calender day but I like the fact that if I get hungry I know that evening I can have a big meal if I wish after the fast.