Work out in AM or PM?

Options
chsa22
chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
For a couple of years, I have consistently worked out in the morning for a half hour every weekday, waking up at 5am. But I got married recently, and went on a honeymoon (where I did not work out of course!!) I've been back for 2 weeks and I still can't get back into my routine. I wake up and feel too tired and I go back to sleep. Any advice to stick with AM workouts, or any thoughts about which is better, working out in the morning or at night?

thanks!

Replies

• RobertReese12
    Options
    Working out in the morning can boost energy for the rest of the day. An a.m. workout jump-starts metabolism in the same vein that eating breakfast does. The thermal effect of exercise (or activity) lasts at least four hours after a workout. That increases the total calorie expenditure throughout the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Working out in the morning can boost energy for the rest of the day. An a.m. workout jump-starts metabolism in the same vein that eating breakfast does. The thermal effect of exercise (or activity) lasts at least four hours after a workout. That increases the total calorie expenditure throughout the day.
    Metabolism doesn't need jumpstarting. It runs all the time. Just getting out of bed (physical movement increases right away). And there is no clinical evidence that shows the eating breakfast jumpstarts metabolism either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    For a couple of years, I have consistently worked out in the morning for a half hour every weekday, waking up at 5am. But I got married recently, and went on a honeymoon (where I did not work out of course!!) I've been back for 2 weeks and I still can't get back into my routine. I wake up and feel too tired and I go back to sleep. Any advice to stick with AM workouts, or any thoughts about which is better, working out in the morning or at night?

thanks!
    What works best may not be what's best for you. One could learn the best calorie burning exercise, but if it's not done by that person, then the exercise is worthless to them.
    Try both and see which one you'd be more likely to stick to. Some people find it easy to workout on their lunch hour so they don't lose sleep or so they can have more time in the evening. There really is no "best" time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Whatever you prefer
  • ErynV15
    ErynV15 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get myself to workout in the AM as I know all of the benefits (plus it'd be nice to get it over and done with nice and early!), but I can't bring myself to wake up early enough to get that done, plus get ready and be at work by 7:30! Maybe someday! For now, I workout in the PM. I try to get it in as soon as I get home, which is usually around 4:30-5 so that I can get dinner and then have the rest of the evening!