Things you can't stop eating

Options
Alastair007
Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
Is there any truth in the statement that our brains get totally confused by the deadly combination of fat and sugar and we just cant stop eating? (Doughnuts, sugar coated and chocolate coated nuts.. etc.)

Replies

• katiiee2708
    Options
    I have a craving for kitkats and i'm totally avoiding the vending machines at work aha!
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Chunky Monkey ice cream:explode:
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    I couldn't stop craving white bread for ages, it was pretty horrible. In fact, my cravings only stopped when i went on low carb grain-free diet. Seems like it's much easier to not eat bread at all rather than try to eat just a little bit. For me, anyway.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Oreos with Horizon 2% milk. So I buy neither of these.
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Number of people who responded to the thread without reading the OP? All of them. (I don't know, so can't answer the question.)
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Is there any truth in the statement that our brains get totally confused by the deadly combination of fat and sugar and we just cant stop eating? (Doughnuts, sugar coated and chocolate coated nuts.. etc.)

I can stop eating any time... really.

Don't make me stop breathing.
  • egthomas1
    egthomas1 Posts: 2
    Options
    god job
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Number of people who responded to the thread without reading the OP? All of them. (I don't know, so can't answer the question.)

Yeah, you're right, but the responses are still pretty entertaining. Thanks, all!
    This PubMed article says the answer is, "Yes." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15998351
    "Palatable food, i.e. food rich in fat and sugar, up-regulates the expression of hunger signals and satiety signals, at the same time blunting the response to satiety signals and activating the reward system. Hence, palatable food offsets normal appetite regulation, which may explain the increasing problem of obesity worldwide"
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    I don't know. It feels like our society is designed to make us fat. Tons of delicious, calorically dense, often cheap food. It's crazy, but I feel like now, more than ever, you could end up morbidly obese if you aren't mindful of what you're eating.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Cheese-Its - can't have them in my house.

Period.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I read it and disregarded it to go along with the others' responses because I thought they were much more interesting.
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    i've got food on my mind all the time!! so frustrating.. grrr.. wish unhealthy food didnt taste so good. :D
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    On a TV show they demonstrated this by feeding cheesecake to rats, pure fat they'd stop, pure sugar they'd stop, cheesecake they didn't stop. I just really enjoyed watching the rats eat cheesecake. They just looked like the thought it was the best thing they'd ever eaten.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    On a TV show they demonstrated this by feeding cheesecake to rats, pure fat they'd stop, pure sugar they'd stop, cheesecake they didn't stop. I just really enjoyed watching the rats eat cheesecake. They just looked like the thought it was the best thing they'd ever eaten.

I can't believe that cheesecake was wasted on rats! :noway:
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options

I can't believe that cheesecake was wasted on rats! :noway:

Those rats looked like they were having the best day of their lives. If they could talk they'd have been saying 'om nom nom, cheesecake is my new favourite thing EVER' I have never seen a person look like they're enjoying cheesecake that much, so I don't think it was wasted :-)
  • fequick
    fequick Posts: 16
    Options
    Where's the Like Button....lol..I can totally relate.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Yeah, you're right, but the responses are still pretty entertaining. Thanks, all!
    This PubMed article says the answer is, "Yes." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15998351
    "Palatable food, i.e. food rich in fat and sugar, up-regulates the expression of hunger signals and satiety signals, at the same time blunting the response to satiety signals and activating the reward system. Hence, palatable food offsets normal appetite regulation, which may explain the increasing problem of obesity worldwide"

I've long suspected that part of the cause of the obesity problem is simply access to tastier food (whether home-cooked or not) - you do feel like eating more of it.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't think it causes confusion ... sugar makes your body hit peaks and valleys.... the more you eat the more you crave

Here is a good link to check out about sugar

http://www.atkins.com/Science/Articles---Library/Sugar/10-Ways-Sugar-Harms-Your-Health.aspx
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I don't know if there is any truth or not, but I know that if there is a box of Krispy Kremes near me, I will eat all of them. Same with chocolate candy (kit cats, Baby Ruth and Milky Way!) - I bought a bag over the weekend (a few weeks ago), the mini kind, thinking that I could have 3 bars or 3 pieces and be fine.

The bag was gone by Sunday afternoon...
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, for more info, give it a go at Salt Sugar and Fat by Michael Moss :)