Low cal/low sodium salad dressings

In order to lose weight, I have found that low sodium is a key factor for me. Even though I am eating well during the day, sodium keeps reaching high levels from items like salad dressing and even diet tea. I've started brewing my own tea, but any ideas on homemade or other low sodium salad dressings? Even Walden Farms seems high for 2 Tablespoons.

Thanks,

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Keeping low sodium won't help you lose weight.... it just helps keep off water weight, that's it.

Keeping a caloric deficit determines weight loss, nothing else unless you have severe medical issues you're not mentioning.

Anyhow, I use this a lot because I drown my salad: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art177294.asp

And stay away from Walden Farm's.... it tastes like ****. The only good thing they make is pancake and chocolate syrup.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Keeping low sodium won't help you lose weight.... it just helps keep off water weight, that's it.

Keeping a caloric deficit determines weight loss, nothing else unless you have severe medical issues you're not mentioning.

+1 on that.

In my opinion, the best salad dressing is just a mixture of some sort of vinegar (balsamic, red wine, whatever) and olive oil, in whatever ratio fits your tastes and goals for the day. You can season it with whatever herbs and spices and such that you want - I typically include a pinch of salt but you don't need to.
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member

Anyhow, I use this a lot because I drown my salad: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art177294.asp

And stay away from Walden Farm's.... it tastes like ****. The only good thing they make is pancake and chocolate syrup.

Agree, most of the Walden Farm's salad dressings taste like plastic, however the Raspberry Vinaigrette is okay. Stay away from Ranch, Blue Cheese, Italian (basically any of the other dressings, though).
  • I have a medical condition that requires I watch my sodium intake. Although it doesn't help me burn fat or lose weight, I do have bad weigh ins when I don't watch myself because of water retention.

Anyway, I LOVE salad dressing and it's very hard to find a purchased dressing that doesn't contain an obscene amount of sodium. I have found that at my local Sam's Club they often carry Panera Bread's Balsamic Vinaigrette which has 85mg of sodium per 2 Tbsp of dressing. http://caloriecount.about.com/flog/item/320906

Also, when they do not have it I make my own with vinegar (if using Balsamic watch how much sodium is already in it), olive oil, and whatever spices and herbs I have on hand. I prefer to add a bit of salt when I make my own then to leave it out completely just make sure you are measuring and you should be fine. If you were to put 1/4 tsp into 1 cup of homemade dressing you would have approx. 75mg of sodium per 2 Tbsp of dressing.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I like fat free kraft italian, and fat free western dressing for low calories.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    lemon juice works too.