Difference between workouts-??

Options
This may be a dumb question, but on the elliptcials and other equipment, I see the lights light up at the level I'm working out at, usually either "fat burning" or "cardio"...what's the differnece? I thought you burned fat when your heart rate was up, so which is better? While I want to lose fat, I'm almost always in the high cardio zone to maximize my workout. Should I slow it down to burn fat only?

I hate when I think too much on the elliptical.

Thanks fo rthe input! :bigsmile:

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This may be a dumb question, but on the elliptcials and other equipment, I see the lights light up at the level I'm working out at, usually either "fat burning" or "cardio"...what's the differnece? I thought you burned fat when your heart rate was up, so which is better? While I want to lose fat, I'm almost always in the high cardio zone to maximize my workout. Should I slow it down to burn fat only?

I hate when I think too much on the elliptical.

Thanks fo rthe input! :bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    32 minutes and no one has replied. Hmph.

If you want to burn fat and lose weight, the fat burning heart rate is the best. Why? I can't remember. I took that college health class about 5 years ago.

Come on you guys! Get in here and answer this one with all your facts and stats!
  • goochinator
    Options
    Banks would know!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    lol funny.

OK the deal is, at the lower % max heart rates (like mid 60% area to the mid 70% area) the body more efficiently burns fat for fuel, and less efficiently at the higher levels BUT you burn more total fat at the higher levels, for the same time. I forget the formula but you can find it if you google it.

ahh, I decided to find it.

here is a good article on it.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Fat-Burning-Zone-Vs.-Cardio-Training-Zone&id=306481
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    This is what I read about it- and it goes along with what other trainers have told me in the past and why doing some interval traning is good for all of us to mix in!

***The answer is both! There are various heart rate zones you can shoot for. I suggest mixing them up, it not only helps you burn more fat but it keeps it interesting. Fat burning zone is when you keep your heart rate at around 60% of your max the entire workout. This zone reallies heavily on burning fat as its main source of fuel. At a higher heart rate which is known as your cardiovascular zone your body will be burning more muscle than in a fat burning zone. Some of the benefits of being in a cardio zone is a better conditioned heart, stronger leg muscles (muscle is good for fat burning), you'll burn more calories, increases your metabolism, and you will sleep like a baby. It is also important to add a cardio burn in every now and then because it will shock your system, and many times this shock will result in higher rates of fat burns. One way of getting your heart rate up that I have found I can deal with is interval training. This type of training can go something like this, 30 seconds 85% of your maximum heart rate and 90 seconds back down to 60%, and repeat it until you have exhausted yourself. It may not sound to hard but after a couple of cycles through you will be huffing and puffing***
  • goochinator
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    Very informative--- nice to know I'm not wasting my time w/ the cardio zone.
  • goochinator
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    Very informative--- nice to know I'm not wasting my time w/ the cardio zone.