Shared Recipes - Do you REALLY care where they come from?

Options
I don't normally start a thread but I just have to say this because a friend of mine is being continually bullied about recipes he shares. Does anyone feel that recipes should have to have the origin listed or that they should be arrested for copyright infringement? Sounds so silly to me. When someone posts a recipe I personally don't care who the original author is. I just appreciate that they took the time to post it for all of us to see and use if we want to. The only time I might care is if I want to see more like it or if I want to check the nutritional value and if so, I ask the person where I might find it. But I don't get MAD when they don't provide it. I don't tell them they are spamming and make them feel bad because they took the time to care about other people that are struggling. And if that is true then no one should ever list a tip or hint either without the magazine it came out of or giving credit to the friend that shared it with you. It could just become one silly mess that no one would want to read.

I say this site would not be the successful one that it is without people that share. And really.......who cares??

Thanks for listening......I feel better already!! :)

Replies

• synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's only a problem if the person posting the recipe is claiming it as their own when it is not. Also, they might have no idea of the original source if it was picked up from another forum.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know of whom you speak and honestly, I don't understand why credit is never given.

But, I think the constant trolling for the recipes just to point out that they are not original says more about the person pointing it out incessantly than it does about the person sharing it. I mean seriously, this is all you have to do with your time??
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I know of whom you speak and honestly, I don't understand why credit is never given.

But, I think the constant trolling for the recipes just to point out that they are not original says more about the person pointing it out incessantly than it does about the person sharing it. I mean seriously, this is all you have to do with your time??

Yep.

Although it takes two seconds to post the link to the original recipe.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I always try a new recipe at least twice, changing it to my taste each time, before sharing. Once I change something, it's a Larro dish, and I don't worry about the original. But some of my wife's friends on FB have got in trouble when they just copy and paste. Cook books are big business, so the publishers are out there looking for us free loaders.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yep.

Although it takes two seconds to post the link to the original recipe.

That's true, if you have it. I have many recipes that friends have shared with me. I have no idea where they got them, but I doubt any of them made them up because they are the type of people that use recipe books / sites for pretty much everything.
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    thanks to all that replied.....I like to give credit where it's due too....but it's a recipe! Not a best-seller. And how many sites have a recipe for bbq shrimp kabobs? I bet hundreds! Now I feel so much better for at least talking about it. I just don't see why anyone should go out of their way to hurt someone else. Especially since the other gentleman has stated that he is disabled and lonely. Just seems like a cheap shot sometimes......